Face to Faith discussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: Face to Faith discussions
I've always wondered about this with all theists, and for myself when I was one. If you believe that god is omniscient then isn't everything predetermined? Wouldn't that just naturally follow thus negating free will?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I disagree with the statement that if things are predestined that life would feel pointless. If we could see the future the same way we recall the past, then yes, absolutely, but we can't. That's what makes living worthwhile, not knowing what's coming next (at least from my perspective). From this standpoint, I'm not sure an individual living in a determined universe would actually experience that universe differently from a universe in which free will exists, so long as they couldn't see the future. How that individual would understand the events in the world around them and the positions they would take on certain subjects, on the other hand, would vary greatly.

I guess I'm not quite sure yet that people would actually experience a deterministic universe any differently than they would from a free one. This isn't a topic I've really dedicated much time to though, and I know some people find the determinstic/free will dichotomy to be problematic itself, so I'm not ready to commit to any particular position at the moment.

[Image: giphy.gif]
24-04-2013, 04:01 PM
(24-04-2013 02:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 02:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ahh okay.

Nah... many people here think I'm insane.

KC, you never answered the question I put to you in another thread, and I am still curious.

How do you integrate that everything is preselected and predestined into actual life? If nothing anyone does changes a damn thing, why would anyone bother doing things?

If the outcome is already decided, why make decisions?

Because even your decision to make decisions is already decided. Smile

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin