Facebook Censoring Atheist and Ex-Muslim Pages

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Facebook Censoring Atheist and Ex-Muslim Pages
(14-05-2017 08:50 PM)ImFred Wrote:  It's bad because it turns you into a fucking product. It's bad because it's designed to be slow to keep you online. It's bad because its algorithms discourage critical thinking and polarization. It's bad because they keep changing shit to sell your privacy after you've worked on maintaining it for years and are permanently invested in it. It's bad because it claims to be a source of connectivity when it's actually a source of isolation.

How is a company selling my browsing habits to companies so that adds can be better tailored towards me a bad thing? Serious question.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2017, 09:50 PM
It makes me feel like I'm being mind-raped. Serious answer.
14-05-2017, 10:40 PM
(14-05-2017 09:50 PM)ImFred Wrote:  It makes me feel like I'm being mind-raped. Serious answer.

That's stupid. That also sounds like a 'you' problem.

15-05-2017, 05:19 AM
(14-05-2017 09:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How is a company selling my browsing habits to companies so that adds can be better tailored towards me a bad thing? Serious question.

That's OK if you're agreeable to being inundated with ads.

Personally, I'm not. I yearn for an ad-free world. A vain hope, I know.

The issue about it is that it's so underhanded. Does anyone actually go through the fine print of Facebook's Terms and Conditions before they sign up? It's 14,000 words long (source: Facebook terms and conditions: why you don't own your online life) And, of course, they (Facebook) can change the terms anytime they want, whether you're agreeable or not.

It's not just Facebook, of course. Some insurance companies are scrambling to access FitBit data so they can charge higher rates. My auto insurance company wants to install an app on my phone that tracks my driving habits.

If you're OK with that, fine. Knock yourself out. For me personally, though, I want no part of it. I don't have Facebook, I deleted my LinkedIn, I cancelled my Twitter account and I route my online usage through a VPN. And there's no way I want my insurance company tracking my health or driving habits.

Big Brother was never the government. It's corporations. Forget that at your peril.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
15-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:> There are about two dozen new members here who were either kicked out of the Amazon forums or quit on account of their discriminatory practices. My offense was to quote passages from Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion or damning verses from the Bible, both of which, I was told, violated Amazon's community standards. There were no specific explanations about the nature of the alleged violations.

Wow! That's wild. I guess Dawkins is to Christians what the Bible is to Atheists. What's funny is if someone quoted the Bible or the Quran to me online I wouldn't try to stop their freedom of speech, I'd just point out where I think they're wrong.

Interesting how they seem to do that less and less. I remember when I was 13 years old right around the new millennium the question of whether or not religion could be true seemed vibrant and in full swing. In this day and age it seems kinda like a case closed sort of thing. I don't know if religious people like that they're getting dogged at every turn.

Quote:I'd say chances are this is an automated process. Enough reports and it'll get shut down and then if enough people complain/appeal it'll be reviewed by an actual human.
Or not. I don't know how things are run over there.

Yeah I think that might be how it works too. Kinda backwards though. Enough complaints and the thing gets automatically shut down before a human looks into it? If I were an Ex-Muslim in Saudi Arabia or something and had nowhere else to go really I'd be choked.

Quote:> I never joined Facebook because I'm too private a person for it, but their discriminatory practices will be another good reason I'll never join. Angry

I've been on Facebook less and less lately. I don't know why it just doesn't interest me anymore I guess.

Quote:I don't log into Facebook anymore, unless I get an email telling me I got a private message from someone. The news feed is utter garbage, and I don't want Facebook announcing to all my old acquaintances when I sign up for an event or "like" a page or whatever. I use meetup.com now, and it's under a pseudonym so grandpa can't follow me there Rolleyes

If Facebook so much as hints at automatically sharing any aspect of my browsing history, on Facebook or off, then I'm deleting my account immediately. No Regerts
[Image: no-regrets-tattoo-i-regert-nothing.jpg]

I block all of their 3rd party bullshit on other sites, too. I don't want companies targeting me with atheist-related ads some day. That would freak me the fuck out Blink

I used FB for a while, and my news feed is kinda personalized so that I end up seeing the things I want to see for the most part. If I was friends with someone in real life, but they post something stupid I'll just unfollow them. By the time I was done customizing it a bit it was political, philosophical, and inspirational, with great recipes.

I'm okay with all of that. Smile

I agree about them coming at you with personalized ads based on what you hit like on. I don't like how they conduct things in regards to privacy really either necessarily. And for some reason they think I'm into new age home remedies, and whiskey.

What?

And that's the best thing I've seen all day! Laugh out load

Quote:That's OK if you're agreeable to being inundated with ads.

Personally, I'm not. I yearn for an ad-free world. A vain hope, I know.

The issue about it is that it's so underhanded. Does anyone actually go through the fine print of Facebook's Terms and Conditions before they sign up? It's 14,000 words long (source: Facebook terms and conditions: why you don't own your online life) And, of course, they (Facebook) can change the terms anytime they want, whether you're agreeable or not.

It's not just Facebook, of course. Some insurance companies are scrambling to access FitBit data so they can charge higher rates. My auto insurance company wants to install an app on my phone that tracks my driving habits.

If you're OK with that, fine. Knock yourself out. For me personally, though, I want no part of it. I don't have Facebook, I deleted my LinkedIn, I cancelled my Twitter account and I route my online usage through a VPN. And there's no way I want my insurance company tracking my health or driving habits.

Big Brother was never the government. It's corporations. Forget that at your peril.

I've thought about that before, but then I figured I'm not that important and don't have enough to hide right now for it to matter. I'm just a 26 year old Sound Technician. Smile

I agree with you about insurance companies monitoring your health and driving. That's ridiculous. I live in Canada so I guess I don't know what that feels like but I can imagine them trying to do that feeling incredibly invasive. Confused

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
16-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Quote:That's OK if you're agreeable to being inundated with ads.

Except that's not how it works.
You'd get ads no matter what. All it does is make those ads more tailored to your browsing habits. It doesn't increase the number of ads you see so your point is moot.

You, and others when it comes to this topic, sound like paranoid conspiracy nuts.
And sure, that doesn't instantly mean you're wrong. BUT it also doesn't mean you're right. It doesn't mean 1984 is gonna happen because a company wanted to target their ads towards a more tailored audience base.

16-05-2017, 10:22 PM
I purposely seek out people with emotional/mental/just plain stupid problems just so I can laugh at them on a daily basis. The people that treat it like it's a daily journal are the best. Facebook is great. I regret not joining sooner.
16-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot what the OP was about. People being stupid and crying on facebook... big surprise. I left an atheist group recently because the admins were complaining about people using harsh language. The only people I give a fuck about using my language around are the people that sign my paychecks. I told them to go fuck themselves and their their stupid group.
18-05-2017, 06:46 PM
(14-05-2017 08:50 PM)ImFred Wrote:  It's bad because it turns you into a fucking product.

When you sign up for Facebook you are their product, pure and simple.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
18-05-2017, 06:50 PM
(14-05-2017 08:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  Your internet provider does all of the same shit.

Mine doesn't. Or at least it hasn't, up to now. It started out over 20 years ago as a local non-profit collective to bring web connectivity to anyone in the community who wanted it, on a sliding scale -- free, for those who couldn't afford to pay anything. Not exactly the population you solicit if you want to sell something.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."