Facebook Facial Recognition Could Get Creepy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Brick Facebook Facial Recognition Could Get Creepy
Megan Geuss Megan Geuss – Tue Apr 26 Yahoo & PCWorld

In early April, Engadget posted a short article confirming a rumor that Facebook would be using facial recognition to suggest the names of friends who appeared in newly uploaded photos. You’d be allowed to opt out of tagging, and only friends would be able to tag each other in albums. Nevertheless, a commenter beneath the story quipped, “Awesome! Now I can take pictures of cute girls at the grocery store or at the park, upload them and Facebook will tell me who they are! (I'm pretty sure that’s not [how] it works but I’m sure it will get there.)”

The commenter’s confidence says a lot: Facial recognition may be just one more way for Facebook to push the visual part of the social graph (photos of us) toward being more public and far less private. Facebook has a history of asking for forgiveness after the fact instead of asking for permission in advance, and its new face-recognition feature could become the latest example of a seemingly innocuous development morphing into a serious threat to the privacy of our (visual) data. And as usual, some Facebook users will like the convenience of the new features so much that they will forget the privacy trade-off altogether, or just choose not to worry about it.

Features You Didn't Know You Had...
(Full Article Continues)
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 11:06 AM
RE: Facebook Facial Recognition Could Get Creepy
I personally use the facial recognition provided by Windows Live Photo Gallery and it links up with your Facebook and you have to first tag a majority of their pictures before it even picks them up 99% but I've never had it recommend someone I didn't know. (A total stranger) I personally think it's a great addition and comes in use because it will auto tag your images in your album if you decide to check the box for tagging them and you don't even have to do the manual part of tagging Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 03:44 PM

I don't have any photos of myself on facebook.
Wonder if they can use facial recognition on on of my cats.
I don't have any photos that I can be tagged in.
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 10:24 PM
(27-04-2011 03:44 PM)LittleOne Wrote:  I don't have any photos of myself on facebook.
Wonder if they can use facial recognition on on of my cats.
I don't have any photos that I can be tagged in.

In all honesty that's a good question lol. I'm curious about that myself now. I have pictures of my son when he was born and in the past few weeks. After tagging about 80 of them with him in it, the facial recognition finally picked him up. It's interesting how it works but you do have to continuously tag them... I'm thinking it just recognizes the pixels of the face; color, depth, and distance apart.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply