Facebook Posts by Religious "Friends"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 03:02 PM by kingschosen.)
Tongue Facebook Posts by Religious "Friends"
Woman on my facebook posted this:
[Image: uyAqDXn.jpg]
So tempted to simply comment with:
"And people say there IS a god. Ha!: [Image: untitled.png?w=650]"

I know we have the option (one that I generally take) to not respond to these types of posts on facebook (I literally see at least 3 of them a day), but if you were to respond to something like this, what would YOU say? (jus cuz hypotheticals are fun)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like QueenTit's post
12-12-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Facebook Posts by Religious "Friends"
I would respond with something a little more tongue in cheek, like "That looks more like the work of the Flying Spaghetti Monster IMHO"

Humour has a way of bringing down mental defenses of dearly held beliefs.

I watched Bill Maher for years as a believer and his jokes about religion were funny (and offensive at the time too) but I laughed along. I think he had a lot to do with my de-conversion in some subconscious sense.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like djkamilo's post
12-12-2013, 02:35 PM
(12-12-2013 01:58 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  ... if you were to respond to something like this, what would YOU say? (jus cuz hypotheticals are fun)

"That's God?? You're telling me this whole time you've been worshipping a hexagonal shaped piece of frozen water? Why didn't you say so? That's so cool!"

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 5 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I was listening to The Bible Geek podcast by Robert M. Price, and he said it is pretty useless to try to debate a god believer by pointing out the bad things in the Bible. It makes you look mean, and just gives them reinforcement of their beliefs.

What we should do if we want to approach the subject is something along the lines more of what Peter Bogosshian noted, "question
"them, and try to get them to see the falacy in their belief system. dont' attack their god, attack their belief in superstition. First start wth something like

"It's interesting you say that, why do you think the intricacies of the snowflake denote a god?"

and then go from there. They will probably say something that it is beautiful, or hard to explain. Then retort with "What if I gave you a scientific explanation for this that didn't include God, how would you feel" or perhaps, show them something YOU cannot explain but they can (such as a refracted light in a pirsm) and say that is god and see what they say. Go from there, but question them and have them begin to question theihr assumptions.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
[+] 2 users Like FaceOfBoe's post
12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
(12-12-2013 02:44 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I was listening to The Bible Geek podcast by Robert M. Price, and he said it is pretty useless to try to debate a god believer by pointing out the bad things in the Bible. It makes you look mean, and just gives them reinforcement of their beliefs.

What we should do if we want to approach the subject is something along the lines more of what Peter Bogosshian noted, "question
"them, and try to get them to see the falacy in their belief system. dont' attack their god, attack their belief in superstition. First start wth something like

"It's interesting you say that, why do you think the intricacies of the snowflake denote a god?"

and then go from there. They will probably say something that it is beautiful, or hard to explain. Then retort with "What if I gave you a scientific explanation for this that didn't include God, how would you feel" or perhaps, show them something YOU cannot explain but they can (such as a refracted light in a pirsm) and say that is god and see what they say. Go from there, but question them and have them begin to question theihr assumptions.

I prefer humor, because it's what I know. But I agree, the Socratic Method, when employed skillfully, can be the most effective. I've tried it before, myself. I am not so skilled. Confused

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
12-12-2013, 02:56 PM
For purposes of your friend's privacy (and that's entirely up to you) it might be worth blurring out their names so random people on the internet don't harass them.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(12-12-2013 02:56 PM)Logisch Wrote:  For purposes of your friend's privacy (and that's entirely up to you) it might be worth blurring out their names so random people on the internet don't harass them.

Already took care of it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
(12-12-2013 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 02:56 PM)Logisch Wrote:  For purposes of your friend's privacy (and that's entirely up to you) it might be worth blurring out their names so random people on the internet don't harass them.

Already took care of it.

Thanks! Sorry. In the future, I will do that.
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I would reply with "It's not that people say there is no god, it's that so far all of the naturally occurring things that happen in nature have natural explanations, like this snowflake. It formed naturally. To attribute any naturally occurring phenomenon to that of a god is to simply say that you fail to understand how nature produces it. This snowflake is a symbol of your ignorance or perhaps your god made you ignorant as part of his grand plan to show the rest of us what gullibility looks like."

Now grow the fuck up and stop posting this inane tripe.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
12-12-2013, 03:14 PM
(12-12-2013 02:44 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I was listening to The Bible Geek podcast by Robert M. Price, and he said it is pretty useless to try to debate a god believer by pointing out the bad things in the Bible. It makes you look mean, and just gives them reinforcement of their beliefs.

I was definitely just looking for fun/funny responses, but I love this approach/idea and am going to check out that podcast you mentioned. Thanks!