Facebook Preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2011, 09:03 AM
RE: Facebook Preachers
Quote:As you are no doubt aware, it's impossible to verify this chain of events.

Certainly. That's why I wrote the disclaimer. However, it is plausible enough.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2011, 06:33 PM
The interesting thing is that I whole heartedly agree with everything you said malleus. although I think saying that the bible was merely comprised of what sounded right is very much an oversimplification. The council was made up of bishops and the like who very often were highly educated men. At least they were after they were tolerated I have no idea of what they were like before that. They would have analysed all the scripture compared it with what made sense and with what they were taught and then compiled it accordingly. As far as I know Constantine had very little say in the doctrine of the church but he did act as an enforcer, sort of the first inquisition. Do I think Constantine deserves to be a saint, maybe not as he was a polititian. But he was definitely an effective and tolerant leader.

So for you this was a turn against the church for me it is the opposite. As a Catholic we are not forced to believe that the bible is infallible. So for me this is why I think that the Catholic Church is very important as they are a group of men whose entire lively hood is the study of the bible. I think this is very much the same as any thing you do in life. If you are trying to trim your budget it might be better to talk to an accountant then you're friend, same thing with doctors, nutritionists, plumbers ect.

Unlike many of my catholic brethren I consider the bible to be a historical text with theological uses instead of the other way around. Now I fully accept that in the bible there are going to be contradictions and things that seem wrong. There are many reasons for this such as misinformation, different point of view. But I believe that one of the biggest problems in deciphering the bible is that the concept of prose is relatively new. For the longest time everything was written in poetry. I know at least two of the gospels are written in a form of poetry. One is a Greek form where there is constant repetition of a word which makes it hell to translate.

I came to this realization after reading the life of St. Francis Of Assisi by Thomas of Celano where the author uses blatant misinformation. He says that in his youth Francis was despicable and guilty of multiple vices. there was a endnote that then told me that this was probably not true and that Francis was most likely a generous although party orientated youth as stated by another one of his Brothers. The reason for this is that Thomas was using a 12th century writing style which used a certain meter and also used a common hero style where the hero's early life is meant to be the opposite of his later life to create contrast. this has showed me that history writing is very different today then it was in the past

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
31-12-2011, 12:12 AM
(28-12-2011 05:57 AM)Malleus Wrote:  5. Fail to comply with the previous rules and you will see lions up-close very fast.

Big Grin What a negotiating tool that was.
31-12-2011, 07:10 AM
(30-12-2011 06:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  The interesting thing is that I whole heartedly agree with everything you said malleus. although I think saying that the bible was merely comprised of what sounded right is very much an oversimplification. The council was made up of bishops and the like who very often were highly educated men. At least they were after they were tolerated I have no idea of what they were like before that. They would have analysed all the scripture compared it with what made sense and with what they were taught and then compiled it accordingly.

No. Actually the thing is that they had no idea which gospels are right and which are wrong. They did not have a clear set like you have today. They had manuscripts that all looked equally old and, in all cases, they had no idea who wrote them. They made the books fit whatever they already believed, not the other way around. That would maybe be a reasonable approach to weed out the obviously wrong ones, but the thing is that they ALSO did not all believe the same thing.

Depending on what they already believed, different gospels applied as the right ones, so we're back to square one: my party believes some stuff because we have these books. Your party believes different stuff because you have different books. That MUST mean that your books are wrong, because our group is bigger than yours. And since we're stronger, we'll overpower you and destroy your books.

Since they were all looking for an upper hand over the other sects, going with the strongest one, regardless of the value of their arguments, seems like a very flawed method to find what's right and true.

And, if you want to talk about the quality of the debates, may I remind you that Nicholas slapped Arius in the face because that was the best argument he could find at the moment?

Quote:As far as I know Constantine had very little say in the doctrine of the church but he did act as an enforcer, sort of the first inquisition.

Right. That is a sign that he didn't really care what they agree on as long as they agree. I believe that he used Christianity as a weapon and I also think that he used some very vivid threats to force them to reach consensus one way or another.

Imagine a group led by Ray Comfort debate Matt Dillahunty and his group for a few months in a row. No one of them gets sick of it and says "screw you guys, I'm going home", but they even agree, not to meet on some middle ground, but either Matt or Ray wins it undoubtedly and whatever is decided becomes law. Could you imagine such an outcome without somebody pointing a gun at all of them?

Quote:Do I think Constantine deserves to be a saint, maybe not as he was a polititian. But he was definitely an effective and tolerant leader.

I think he was a brilliant politician. It had nothing to do with tolerance. He used Christianity as a political boost. By giving Edictus Mediolanum, he bought himself an army of Christian "Taliban's" who owed him their lives and their freedom of religion.
No other group in Rome had more potential for activism and that's why they were the strongest political weapon.

Quote:So for you this was a turn against the church for me it is the opposite. As a Catholic we are not forced to believe that the bible is infallible. So for me this is why I think that the Catholic Church is very important as they are a group of men whose entire lively hood is the study of the bible. I think this is very much the same as any thing you do in life. If you are trying to trim your budget it might be better to talk to an accountant then you're friend, same thing with doctors, nutritionists, plumbers ect.

Sure, but if the Catholic Church studies a collection of stupid books which were selected for no good reason (I believe that to be the case) and they base all their belief system on those books, they are just as useful as a bunch of Star Trek Experts.

Should you ever *need* to know what Captain Kirk would do in a specific situation, they are the ones you should call. For that reason they should pay no taxes, you are strongly encouraged to make regular donations to their organization and they get to tell you how you should live your life.

Quote:Unlike many of my catholic brethren I consider the bible to be a historical text with theological uses instead of the other way around. Now I fully accept that in the bible there are going to be contradictions and things that seem wrong. There are many reasons for this such as misinformation, different point of view. But I believe that one of the biggest problems in deciphering the bible is that the concept of prose is relatively new. For the longest time everything was written in poetry. I know at least two of the gospels are written in a form of poetry. One is a Greek form where there is constant repetition of a word which makes it hell to translate.

I came to this realization after reading the life of St. Francis Of Assisi by Thomas of Celano where the author uses blatant misinformation. He says that in his youth Francis was despicable and guilty of multiple vices. there was a endnote that then told me that this was probably not true and that Francis was most likely a generous although party orientated youth as stated by another one of his Brothers. The reason for this is that Thomas was using a 12th century writing style which used a certain meter and also used a common hero style where the hero's early life is meant to be the opposite of his later life to create contrast. this has showed me that history writing is very different today then it was in the past

Right. So if that was the standard and style of history applied before the 12th century, we can safely assume that the standards weren't any better in the 1st-2nd century. We can safely assume that, if Jesus ever existed, he was a simple man, never did any miracles, was never important enough to be noticed. According to the same methods of writing a story, they only adapted various Egyptian myths to a simple man turned into legend because that was the recipe for creating a god in those times.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
L i k e . . . T h i s . . . S t a t u s . . . I f . . Y o u . . . L o v e . . . G o d . . .R e p o st . . . A n d . . . H e . . . W i l l . . . D o . . . Y o u . . . A . . . M i r a c l e . . . Y o u . . . H a v e . . . 6 0 . . . S e c o n d s..

I so desperately want to post, "Will all of the 45 people that liked this status please follow up and tell us the miracle that He did for you?"

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
06-02-2012, 02:25 PM
(06-02-2012 02:18 PM)free2011 Wrote:  L i k e . . . T h i s . . . S t a t u s . . . I f . . Y o u . . . L o v e . . . G o d . . .R e p o st . . . A n d . . . H e . . . W i l l . . . D o . . . Y o u . . . A . . . M i r a c l e . . . Y o u . . . H a v e . . . 6 0 . . . S e c o n d s..

I so desperately want to post, "Will all of the 45 people that liked this status please follow up and tell us the miracle that He did for you?"

Miraculously fuckloads of nitwits started posting on my status?
07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
My buddy Kip posted recently, "The Lord is my Shepherd"

I posted "Guess that makes you a sheep?"

He replies "EXACTLY!"

Then a bunch of dummies chimed in on how awesome it is to be God's sheep.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Now I'm trolling my friend on FB.

Post #1
is grateful! The precious blood of Jesus was shed for me, and all partakers of, THE faith!

My reply
If one claims to know that God exists, does he really have faith?

Post #2
All good things come from above.

My reply
The top shelf in my pantry is where I keep the good stuff too.

Damn I should have said I keep the pasta on the top shelf. FUUUUUUUUUUU

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I think the Facebook preachers are believers who are either too timid, for whatever reason, to share the 'Good News' face-to-face, or they simply don't care enough about all the people they're supposed to be 'friends' with to do so.

A while back I ran into an old friend, with whom I had not spoken in years, at Wal-Mart (because, where else do you run into old friends). This friend and I were always a strong 'spiritual support' for each other in our high school days. We went to the same Baptist church, attended all the youth group functions, had a Christian band together - we essentially both had very strong spiritual convictions and, even at 14 and 15 years old, were really heavy into getting to know God and The Bible.

Inevitably, after a lengthy catch-up conversation in the bread aisle, the topic of our current state of spiritual health came up. He told me what God was doing in his life, and asked how I had been doing spiritually. To make a long story short, I told him I didn't really believe in any of that any longer. He took the news pretty hard. We talked about religion and spirituality for a while longer, he told me he would pray for me, then he gave me a big teary-eyed hug and left.

Because this friend has a long history of sharing everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - with his wife, I suppose that he told her about our conversation (she was in the same youth group as he and I, and we were also previous friends). I also suppose that she, in turn, alerted some of the more outspoken members of our old youth group/church circle. I suppose these two things because the following day, when I logged onto Facebook, there were these status updates from said outspoken members of our old youth group/church circle like "Head knowledge of god isn't enough", "Pray that he will show you he is real", and "Any ex-Christian who believes God doesn't exist was never truly a Christian. Pray for salvation!".

That was about a year ago, and I haven't heard a thing from any of them since - on facebook or in person.

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
You guys must have missed this part of the bible:

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every facebook friend.

Mar 16:16 He that likeith and repostith shall be saved; but he that not shall be damned.

This is the fucking word of the LORD!!!1! Angel
[+] 3 users Like Kinger's post