Facebook Preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2011, 12:33 AM
RE: Facebook Preachers
(24-12-2011 12:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  KC ??? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Denying logic is a step forward? Sad

Heh, I know... but think about it. When your goal is faith and you add to that faith, aren't you moving forward?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2011, 12:40 AM
(24-12-2011 12:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 12:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  KC ??? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Denying logic is a step forward? Sad

Heh, I know... but think about it. When your goal is faith and you add to that faith, aren't you moving forward?

Man, I knew a girl named Faith once. I would've liked to add to that Faith!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-12-2011, 12:44 AM

Sad No. You're saying "I know this doesn't make sense, so instead of re-examining the belief I'm gonna turn of my sense". Come *on* man. Use that noggin! God gave it to you (from your p.o.v. Tongue ).
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-12-2011, 01:22 AM
(24-12-2011 12:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Sad No. You're saying "I know this doesn't make sense, so instead of re-examining the belief I'm gonna turn of my sense". Come *on* man. Use that noggin! God gave it to you (from your p.o.v. Tongue ).

But if the belief is something you will not compromise, then it is.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't find a way to reconcile it... or use logic... or completely abandon logic, reasoning, and science, but I am saying that those that choose faith - that taking a step towards faith is a step forward.

My beliefs are unwavering. However, there are some things in Christianity that make no logical sense. I have spent a lot of time trying to reconcile these things (which I've done). You see, to people like me or anyone else of faith, the belief is the foundation which everything else is built upon.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-12-2011, 01:31 AM
(24-12-2011 01:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 12:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  

But if the belief is something you will not compromise, then it is.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't find a way to reconcile it... or use logic... or completely abandon logic, reasoning, and science, but I am saying that those that choose faith - that taking a step towards faith is a step forward.

My beliefs are unwavering. However, there are some things in Christianity that make no logical sense. I have spent a lot of time trying to reconcile these things (which I've done). You see, to people like me or anyone else of faith, the belief is the foundation which everything else is built upon.

Religious Belief=Delusion, Tomato=TomAto.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
24-12-2011, 07:24 AM
(23-12-2011 09:33 PM)free2011 Wrote:  
(23-12-2011 08:12 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  
(23-12-2011 07:59 PM)free2011 Wrote:  What concerns me is the younger generation is going backwards. They are exposed to a great deal more scientific information then ever before yet believing in this mythological god is seen as cool.

Well I'm a Christian so I'll have to disagree with the assumption that religious belief means we're going backwards.

I think it all depends where you live, a lot of kids at my school think being an Atheist is cool. That's fine and they have every right to believe what they want but they're often very offensive towards religious kids which is what concerns me.

I don't think being religious makes someone good or bad but it is a step backwards.

Do you believe in Adam and Eve over Evolution? If so that's going backwards
Do you think Noahs ark is a fact even though it has been proven impossible? If so that's going backwards
Do you believe Jesus was born of a virgin although it isn't medically possible? If so that's going backwards

In fact what one belief held by a religious person is a move forward?

I believe in Theistic Evolution.
I don't see how it's impossible, most of the objections people raise could've easily been solved by God, such as the animals not eating each other. He could've just stopped them from eating each other.
Yes I do, why would God be limited by what's medically possible?

Loving your enemies, helping the poor. Religious people have been shown to give more money and time and that's definitely a good thing.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2011 08:10 AM by Seasbury.)
(24-12-2011 07:24 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  Loving your enemies, helping the poor. Religious people have been shown to give more money and time and that's definitely a good thing.

There are millions, tens, hundreds of millions of Christians that are good, warm, caring, and charitable people - there are also several million that don't live up to their moniker.

When it comes to giving and charity, take a look at kiva.org communities sometime. Monies lent by the "atheist" community almost doubles that of the Kiva Christians. (almost $6 mil to over 3 mil...). It's not empirical - just a data point.

The statement that "Religious people have been shown to give more money and time" begs a comparison to something -- I'm assuming you mean "more than atheists" in order to make the point. I would simply disagree that Christians are "more" charitable than anyone else, but I don't know if trusted data exists to make that call...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2011, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2011 08:14 AM by free2011.)
Sharks9

1. "Theistic Evolution" - explain please
2. "He could've just stopped them from eating each other" - Do you know how much room two of every species would require? But maybe God made them super small so they could all fit. We can play who has the better imagination all day.
3. "Why would God be limited by what's medically possible?" - If a girl went on the national news and said she did not have sex rather God impregnated her. You wouldn't want some type of test as proof?
4. "Loving your enemies, helping the poor. Religious people have been shown to give more money and time and that's definitely a good thing." - I'm not claiming religious people don't do good things. They do as much good as non-religious. The difference is the religious do it to get a reward from God. Atheists do it to be kind to their fellow humans.
[+] 5 users Like free2011's post
24-12-2011, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2011 08:27 AM by Sharks9.)
(24-12-2011 07:45 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  There are millions, tens, hundreds of millions of Christians that a good, warm, caring, and charitable people - there are also several million that don't live up to their moniker.

When it comes to giving and charity, take a look at kiva.org communities sometime. Monies lent by the "atheist" community almost doubles that of the Kiva Christians. (almost $6 mil to over 3 mil...). It's not empirical - just a data point.

The statement that "Religious people have been shown to give more money and time" begs a comparison to something -- I'm assuming you mean "more than atheists" in order to make the point. I would simply disagree that Christians are "more" charitable than anyone else, but I don't know if trusted data exists to make that call...
Yea of course, but I'm saying the average believer gives more than the average atheist.

I remember hearing that but I also thought I heard kiva.org had a lot more non-religious people which could account for the difference in donations.

Feel free to check out these two links, it's pretty good evidence that religious people donate more. You probably won't read the book but the top comment shares some of the statistics found in the book.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/polic...ticle/6577
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Really-Cares-C...0465008216

(24-12-2011 08:05 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Sharks9

1. "Theistic Evolution" - explain please
2. "He could've just stopped them from eating each other" - Do you know how much room two of every species would require? But maybe God made them super small so they could all fit. We can play who has the better imagination all day.
3. "Why would God be limited by what's medically possible?" - If a girl went on the national news and said she did not have sex rather God impregnated her. You wouldn't want some type of test as proof?
4. "Loving your enemies, helping the poor. Religious people have been shown to give more money and time and that's definitely a good thing." - I'm not claiming religious people don't do good things. They do as much good as non-religious. The difference is the religious do it to get a reward from God. Atheists do it to be kind to their fellow humans.
1. God created the Universe and set Evolution in motion
2. Maybe, I don't know. But you need to realise how dumb your objections sounds to people who believe in that story. God do anything so he wouldn't have a problem making Noah's Ark work.
3. For sure, but how could we test Mary now? It's an unreasonable objection to the story.
4. That's one motivation for sure, but there are tons of religious people who would donate even if they didn't believe in God. Their beliefs motivate them to give more money and time more frequently which is definitely a good thing.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 08:24 AM
(24-12-2011 08:15 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 07:45 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  There are millions, tens, hundreds of millions of Christians that a good, warm, caring, and charitable people - there are also several million that don't live up to their moniker.

Yea of course, but I'm saying the average believer gives more than the average atheist.

I remember hearing that but I also thought I heard kiva.org had a lot more non-religious people which could account for the difference in donations.

Feel free to check out these two links, it's pretty good evidence that religious people donate more. You probably won't read the book but the top comment shares some of the statistics found in the book.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/polic...ticle/6577
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Really-Cares-C...0465008216

I appreciate what you're trying to get across, I'm just not buying it.

There is no standard of evidence for a statement like this. Studies that attempt to show "average" believers are more charitable than "average" atheists are apologetic in nature and can be twisted in a variety of different ways.

If you take the approach that 76% of the population is Christian and only 10% are a conglomeration of atheists/agnostics/pagans/wiccans (i.e., nontheists) then clearly the sum total of donations is much higher. The problem with the statement lies in the fact that a goodly number of nonbelievers are in the closet still. Additionally, absent tax returns which identify the charitable donations tied to a box checked Christian or atheist, etc., it is faulty math.

I'm not saying atheists give more than Christians - because I can't. I can say they donate more on Kiva - because the data is conclusive. I just think your statement was off - not necessarily wrong, just off...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post