Facebook Preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2011, 06:03 PM
RE: Facebook Preachers
(24-12-2011 06:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I don't want to sound like an angry atheist. I'm really not. I am more of a frustrated atheist. Frustrated for this very reason. When I read a book on the cosmos or evolution I can't pick and choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively. But theists seem to have this freedom. Adam and Eve is semi-literal. Noahs Ark is literal. The serpent is figurative. Can you see why it is frustrating for those of us trying to put logic to the test?

Yes, I definitely can.
Oh, sorry, you were addressing KC. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-12-2011, 06:06 PM
(24-12-2011 06:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I don't want to sound like an angry atheist. I'm really not. I am more of a frustrated atheist. Frustrated for this very reason. When I read a book on the cosmos or evolution I can't pick and choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively. But theists seem to have this freedom. Adam and Eve is semi-literal. Noahs Ark is literal. The serpent is figurative. Can you see why it is frustrating for those of us trying to put logic to the test?

The Bible wasn't written to be a science textbook, which makes it a problem when people treat it as such.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2011 07:51 PM by free2011.)
(24-12-2011 06:06 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  

The Bible wasn't written to be a science textbook, which makes it a problem when people treat it as such.

How do you choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively? And how can you follow a book that can be interpreted a million different ways by a million different people?
24-12-2011, 07:35 PM
(24-12-2011 06:06 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  

The bible was supposedly written under the inspiration of a supreme being. I expect the words of an all-knowing god to be more scientifically accurate than the babblings of bronze age primitive superstitious sheep herders. Really, the plants appeared before the sun? The moon appeared before the stars? The flood that never happened? People wanted to build a tower all the way to the sky and god actually felt threatened?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
24-12-2011, 07:45 PM
(24-12-2011 06:17 PM)free2011 Wrote:  How do you choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively? And how can you follow a book that can be interrupted a million different ways by a million different people?

Study the Bible, study the context, then make your own judgements. Honestly, a lot of the parts up to interpretation aren't even theologically relevant. If tomorrow I found out that the Tower of Babel story was 100 % false, would it change anything for me? No. I don't fret the little stuff, Jesus is my main focus. I guess I'm a Red-letter Christian.

(24-12-2011 07:35 PM)Malleus Wrote:  The bible was supposedly written under the inspiration of a supreme being. I expect the words of an all-knowing god to be more scientifically accurate than the babblings of bronze age primitive superstitious sheep herders. Really, the plants appeared before the sun? The moon appeared before the stars? The flood that never happened? People wanted to build a tower all the way to the sky and god actually felt threatened?

A lot of that seems unimportant to me. People sweat the small details and it makes them miss out on the big picture of God's love for us.

Does it really matter in what order God created things? He could've done it in any way He wanted, He's God.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 07:48 PM
(24-12-2011 07:45 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 06:17 PM)free2011 Wrote:  How do you choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively? And how can you follow a book that can be interrupted a million different ways by a million different people?

Study the Bible, study the context, then make your own judgements. Honestly, a lot of the parts up to interpretation aren't even theologically relevant. If tomorrow I found out that the Tower of Babel story was 100 % false, would it change anything for me? No. I don't fret the little stuff, Jesus is my main focus. I guess I'm a Red-letter Christian.

(24-12-2011 07:35 PM)Malleus Wrote:  The bible was supposedly written under the inspiration of a supreme being. I expect the words of an all-knowing god to be more scientifically accurate than the babblings of bronze age primitive superstitious sheep herders. Really, the plants appeared before the sun? The moon appeared before the stars? The flood that never happened? People wanted to build a tower all the way to the sky and god actually felt threatened?

A lot of that seems unimportant to me. People sweat the small details and it makes them miss out on the big picture of God's love for us.

Does it really matter in what order God created things? He could've done it in any way He wanted, He's God.

It's fine that it seems unimportant to you, but Red-letter Christians are not the main problem. The Bible literalists are.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-12-2011, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2011 08:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-12-2011 07:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's fine that it seems unimportant to you, but Red-letter Christians are not the main problem. The Bible literalists are.

My ears, ... they burn.

(24-12-2011 06:17 PM)free2011 Wrote:  How do you choose what to take literally and what to take figuratively?

I spit out any bones I might choke on and chew the rest.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-12-2011, 07:06 AM
(24-12-2011 07:45 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  

Now wait a minute. It's either the word of god or it's not.

If it is the word of god, the one who knows everything, there is no excuse for it being so catastrophically wrong in almost everything that modern science can verify. Unless you think that the bible is right and science is wrong. If that's the case, say it so we can start laughing.

If it's not the word of god, let's drop the crap and talk reason.

BTW, dropping the Old Testament for major inconveniences leaves the Jesus part uncovered. Without the story of the original sin and everything that comes with it, it becomes difficult to explain the "fallen nature" and Jesus's sacrifice.

So tell us. Which one is it?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 6 users Like Malleus's post
25-12-2011, 08:17 AM
(24-12-2011 04:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, as for me, I believe in a literal Adam and Eve, but they were the first people that imprinted His image upon - not literally the first homo sapiens.

Even though the creation story is silly, the idea of Adam and Eve is not.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2011, 08:27 AM
(25-12-2011 07:06 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Now wait a minute. It's either the word of god or it's not.

If it is the word of god, the one who knows everything, there is no excuse for it being so catastrophically wrong in almost everything that modern science can verify. Unless you think that the bible is right and science is wrong. If that's the case, say it so we can start laughing.

If it's not the word of god, let's drop the crap and talk reason.

BTW, dropping the Old Testament for major inconveniences leaves the Jesus part uncovered. Without the story of the original sin and everything that comes with it, it becomes difficult to explain the "fallen nature" and Jesus's sacrifice.

So tell us. Which one is it?

I still believe in an Adam and Eve and Original Sin, but it didn't happen 6,000 years ago.

I'm not dropping the OT, just saying it's less important than what Jesus did. I've often found that atheists think Christians need to take everything literally or just not believe it at all which is ridiculous.