Facebook Stories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Facebook Stories
I've recently noticed (mainly since I am a recently deconverted Christian) that SO many of those heartwarming stories that people share on Facebook, have a "thank God" or "praise be to Jesus" theme. I find that it completely ruins the true unbridled generosity and love that is in these stories. It takes all the meaning out of what people do for each other and gives all the glory to an invisible force that is just as likely to do nothing or to do terrible acts as part of the "plan". I find it so irritating how casually intelligent and kind people will discount the acts of humans, utterly debasing the emotional and intellectual evolution of our species.

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.

-Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like VulcanLogic42's post
18-05-2013, 09:56 AM
RE: Facebook Stories
(18-05-2013 02:37 AM)VulcanLogic42 Wrote:  I've recently noticed (mainly since I am a recently deconverted Christian) that SO many of those heartwarming stories that people share on Facebook, have a "thank God" or "praise be to Jesus" theme. I find that it completely ruins the true unbridled generosity and love that is in these stories. It takes all the meaning out of what people do for each other and gives all the glory to an invisible force that is just as likely to do nothing or to do terrible acts as part of the "plan". I find it so irritating how casually intelligent and kind people will discount the acts of humans, utterly debasing the emotional and intellectual evolution of our species.

There is a reason for it and it is the same reason a paranoid schizophrenic or a conspiracy theorist has. It feels safer thinking that Someone anyone (even a malevolent being or syndicate) is in charge than the truth that Noone is. If God or the Illuminati or the CIA is the cause of everything then there is reason behind it. Bad things aren't just random events they are preplanned and there for have a purpose.

The truth about it it is the really scary thing is not that those groups are controlling the world but the fact that Noone is. Sometimes bad things just happen for no reason (good or bad) and that is hard to accept, for some people.

So the next time you see christians thanking god because a woman only got burns over 90% of her body or only 7 of the 8 children were killed just remembered they are essentially the same as a Paranoid Schizophrenic off his meds.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Bitches be crazy.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-05-2013, 12:10 PM
(18-05-2013 02:37 AM)VulcanLogic42 Wrote:  I've recently noticed (mainly since I am a recently deconverted Christian) that SO many of those heartwarming stories that people share on Facebook, have a "thank God" or "praise be to Jesus" theme. I find that it completely ruins the true unbridled generosity and love that is in these stories. It takes all the meaning out of what people do for each other and gives all the glory to an invisible force that is just as likely to do nothing or to do terrible acts as part of the "plan". I find it so irritating how casually intelligent and kind people will discount the acts of humans, utterly debasing the emotional and intellectual evolution of our species.

Absolutely. It took me awhile to transfer proper diligence to the proper source for thanking, asking, inquiring and relying on. Giving up that control (of a higher power) is very hard to do, even when one comes to the realization that it was never there in the first place.
19-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Quote:I've recently noticed (mainly since I am a recently deconverted Christian) that SO many of those heartwarming stories that people share on Facebook, have a "thank God" or "praise be to Jesus" theme. I find that it completely ruins the true unbridled generosity and love that is in these stories
Not to mention knowledge and hard work: how about the ones that thank god for their cancer being gone, instead of the surgeon who removed the tumor or the oncologists that prescribed treatment? My cousin's daughter just thanked god because she graduated college, as if god did the homework and studying for her! I was sort of relieved to see that, when my mom's breast cancer was gone, she thanked the surgeon and even got him a gift or something, I don't remember, but I mean he's the one who removed the tumor, so he deserved the credit. She still speaks highly of him almost 10 years later. In contrast, her cousin says all this stuff about god and why her mother has alzheimer's, trying to rationalize it in terms of woo and xianity.

But as others said, it scares people to think there is no puppeteer behind the scenes, especially in bad situations. Some people blame natural disasters on homosexuality, god is judging them or some shit. They'd rather think that kind of nonsense than to realize that natural disasters happen for no reason at all (besides things like weather conditions,etc).

I think a sense of justice is involved very much. It's why people see murderers on TV and say that they'll get what's coming to them after they die. It's also why they think they'll be reunited with loved ones after dead (they feel it's unfair their loved one died, and the way to remedy that unfairness would be to reunite later).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2013, 05:17 PM
This is why I avoid Facebook.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-05-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm so happy to finally be free from that ridiculous debilitating security blanket. It's nice to know there are many others out there who feel the same. Most of the circles I still run in are primarily religious.

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.

-Bertrand Russell