Facebook and constant connectivity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Facebook and constant connectivity
This is mostly a thread for me to rant but I also want to get other opinions as well as other examples. I am as addicted to online connectivity and facebook as most people are, but some people are way to entrenched. One example is my sister-in-law. She updates her status 4 to 5 times a day with complete nonsense that has led me to blocking her status updates. The cake however goes to an friend of mine from college who I have not spoken to in several years. Today her two status updates have been "water broken" and "Epidural at 1045. Now just hanging out!" Really? You feel the need to get on facebook during the middle of labor? Are you so addicted to facebook that you have to get on it every few hours and update your status during giving BIRTH?!!! Does putting it on facebook make it official? I love getting on failbook and reading dumb status updates from stupid people but this update is equally as dumb.

Got any good personal stories of dumb status updates and/or status updates at improper times?

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2011, 08:02 PM
RE: Facebook and constant connectivity
The worst ones I think are the ambiguous negative ones, that make it sound like they don't want to talk about it but we all know they keep it ambiguous so we ask questions.

Like "Why this again?????" or "You had to do it didn't you???" or even "Fuck."

I refuse to ever ask any questions because well frankly.. I don't really care. It could be the worst thing ever and in reality the people who post things like this I don't like so.... I think I've been guilty of this once or twice, but I try to make it a point to just say what I mean and not leave it open like it's some kind of secret message.

I think almost everybody on my list has me blocked these days anyways because I just say stuff without worrying about what everyone will think of me. It's my way of weeding out the jerks.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
24-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I concur. The drama queens/kings that are trying to do nothing more than illicit some emotional response from their "friends" on facebook is incredibly annoying. I have one friend who went on a long rant about being pissed off when people put personal issues like relationships and such on their profiles because she said she doesn't care, I of course pointed out the hypocrisy in her statement because she is as guilty of doing that with her previous relationship as anyone else!

And the concept that everyone on facebook is your "friend" is also quite disturbing. If you ask teenagers coming into college how many friends they have, they are likely to respond with something on the order of a few hundred. They are telling you how many facebook "friends" they have. This is becoming a serious issue because these kids seem to be losing the definition of what a friend is. If they start to go through a rough patch while in college, a lot of them don't know who their closest friends are anymore. This only serves to exaggerate their depression further.

Evolve
24-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Talking of constant connectivity.........the other day I was talking to my best mate over Xbox and browsing the web on my laptop. I went on facebook and saw that his girlfriends status said "Donna is-in the bath"

So for the first time I decided to click on the "in the bath" and I laughed at what I saw. It brought up a google map showing my friends street and the approximation of where his house was........she had many of these little status updates that I found out later because she owns an I phone update automatically depending on where you are (and sometimes if there is Wi-Fi in the location)

I told my friend and he wasnt too happy about it to say the least. Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
24-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Facebook and the iPhone location app, now making it easier than ever for rapists and kidnappers to find you at your most vulnerable!

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Maybe someone can give me some Facebook advice.

I'm not a Facebook or Twitter person--wrong generation, zero interest, and I'm busy enough trying to keep up with my e-mail and my blog. Problem is, years ago a student of mine created a Facebook page for me on a whim. I never go to it, but I often get e-mail notifications that people have left me messages and want to "friend" me or me to friend them or however it works. My lack of response is probably interpreted as rudeness.

What I'd like to do is get rid of my Facebook account entirely after first leaving a mass apology along the lines of, "Thanks for your interest; sorry I never responded; I'm just not a Facebook kind of guy; I'm deleting this account; if you want to get in touch, send me an e-mail."

Would both those things--the message (I presume on my "wall"--is that right?) and the account deletion--be fairly straightforward?

I'm totally clueless about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
24-10-2011, 11:47 AM
You have to actually contact the facebook administrators to delete an account and that supposedly is very difficult. I would remove all of the information you can and turn all the settings to private so no one can search for you and find you.

Evolve
24-10-2011, 11:57 AM
(24-10-2011 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You have to actually contact the facebook administrators to delete an account and that supposedly is very difficult. I would remove all of the information you can and turn all the settings to private so no one can search for you and find you.

This is one of the lesser reasons people should consider FB as really creepy!

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
24-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Agreed. I have changed by birth month, day and year and I have removed anything that might be used against me from it, but outright deleting it is near impossible.

Evolve
24-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I despise facebook woth a passion that makes a thousand burning suns's fury look like a lightbulb!!!

So many conflicts and arguments have been started over the vile facebook. SO MANY! I have personnaly had to deal with more than a dozen disputes between friends and the like because someone updated their status or posted a comment.
Someone even went as far as to make a pedophile facebook page with my name and email address. I live next to a daycare, That shit just doesn't fly!

So I've come to the point where if anyone talks to me about some kind of a problem and begins it with "On facebook" I immediately tell them that they are ann idiot without peer and say that it's their own fault for putting themselves on a social network of pure evil.

The Idea of putting youself and your information onto one easily accesible webpage blows my mind. How stupid do you have to be? Honestly! And people complain when someone trolls them because of a revealing, sexual, stupid, or some other like minded photo. It's not the trolls fault he's just doing his job. The fault lies with you and your lack of grey matter.

Point is...I hate facebbok and want it destroyed so people will stop pestering me about false problems.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!