Facebook and the workplace.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Facebook and the workplace.
I had a little bit of a rant over in the rant room about this..... but I wanted to make a thread specifically about it.

To cut a long story short I got informed today that my workplace is monitoring peoples Facebook accounts (they have been for ages I have been told). There have been a few occasions where people have commented on things/wrote a status whilst in work time and they have been seriously reprimanded for it (even though we (the workers) get to choose when we have our own breaks.....if we decide to have any)

Somebody was off work sick and they posted about going out somewhere...... they got called into the office to explain what was going on.

If somebody writes something on my wall that goes against my workplace........ because its on my wall I can get in trouble for it???? Its like WTF!!!!!

I questioned how the hell my bosses can monitor what is going on and its because some divvys have decided to add some of our bosses as friends and this is how they know........ although my privacy settings are set to the max..... if somebody comments on my wall and are friends with my bosses, then my bosses can also read it.

What sort of a world are we going into....... where in my own free time away from work...... I have to be carefull about what and who I post to. I also have to be carefull on what I write about with regards to my political stance.

Its crazy Hobo

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
17-07-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Facebook and the workplace.
Dude. Drop facebook. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2012, 07:52 AM
(17-07-2012 07:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dude. Drop facebook. Angel
I understand where your coming from HOC...... however I feel that if I quit because of this then they would have "won" and I will have "lost" because its the only way I can communicate with some of my friends who have moved abroad.

Im gonna trawl through my work colleagues and find out who has the bosses on there friends list...... then im gonna message them saying either you delete the bosses or you delete me, caus I dont want them reading my shit Angry

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
17-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Going facebook. It's the new going postal. Angel

As for privacy, it is an illusion. Ain't no "winners and losers," there's playing the game to make the scratch.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-07-2012, 08:07 AM
What I don't understand is their (employers) motivation or their ethics. Why do they think this intrusiveness is acceptable? Or that they have the right to punish thought-crime?

Is this the difference between the totalitarian and libertarian?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I use Facebook solely as a place to consolidate contact information for friends that I've known for years. Honestly I just hate the social networking trend and look at it as a professional liability.
17-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Look, bemore, this is the reason why you should not use Facebook, if you value your privacy. You might think they win if you quit, but the point is that Facebook is an addictive menace to society. You are quite lucky that you have found out about the policy of your firm, but this is not such a strange fact. Why wouldn't your boss spy on you, if you give him "permission" by only being on Facebook.

Quit it, trust me.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
17-07-2012, 08:26 AM
At my workplace, they've violated laws (were turned in, had to get lawyers involved), treat employees like as the empolyees say "slaves" (you show up for your shift, and may or may not get off at your scheduled time, you're told when you will work overtime and what hours--too bad if you had plans or appointments).... and other things.

They reprimanded a person for posting on facebook "well, apparently work lied, we didn't get our paychecks this week" (which the person didn't because work screwed up and "forgot" to pay them--which is also somewhat common at times.

Edit: Oh, which is why I put people in gropus... there are times I won't post certain things if certain people can see it, just in case. If I post something I don't want work to see, I omit the "work" group.
17-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the opinions peeps........ I agree Filox that me having a facebook account is basicly agreeing (although indirectly) to being spied upon.

Im not gonna delete my account..... fuck em (my FB page has never said where I work and anything slightly work related has been deleted off my account). Instead im going to go into the office at work tommorow and ask exactly what the companies official guidelines are regarding this matter........ that I need to see something in writing.

I work for my local authority..... so I understand that I have to stay impartial with regards to certain subjects because whilst I wear the uniform I am representing them..... so anything I say could be judged.

However what I would like to know is where is the line in the sand??? Where is it acceptable for me to be "me" without fear or reprimand of my actions????

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-07-2012, 09:08 AM
(17-07-2012 09:01 AM)bemore Wrote:  I work for my local authority..... so I understand that I have to stay impartial with regards to certain subjects because whilst I wear the uniform I am representing them..... so anything I say could be judged.
What authority? Are you police? Fire? Sanitation?

Are you saying that while you are physically wearing the uniform you are impartial, or that while you are employed they own you 24/7?

I would definitely want to see the written policy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]