Facebook and the workplace.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:19 AM
RE: Facebook and the workplace.
He's a bin man. He ain't got no expectation of privacy.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 09:25 AM
(17-07-2012 09:01 AM)bemore Wrote:  Thanks for the opinions peeps........ I agree Filox that me having a facebook account is basicly agreeing (although indirectly) to being spied upon.

Im not gonna delete my account..... fuck em (my FB page has never said where I work and anything slightly work related has been deleted off my account). Instead im going to go into the office at work tommorow and ask exactly what the companies official guidelines are regarding this matter........ that I need to see something in writing.

I work for my local authority..... so I understand that I have to stay impartial with regards to certain subjects because whilst I wear the uniform I am representing them..... so anything I say could be judged.

However what I would like to know is where is the line in the sand??? Where is it acceptable for me to be "me" without fear or reprimand of my actions????

Unfortunately there is no clear cut line in the sand. Employers have fired or disciplined people and there is usually no recourse. It's good that your FB page doesn't explicitly state where you work and what you do. You may have signed a code of conduct for your job and that may have a section on this type of thing (check the IT section first). This area of law if lagging and evolving slowly.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-07-2012, 09:35 AM
(17-07-2012 09:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  He's a bin man. He ain't got no expectation of privacy.
Erm...... my official title is "refuse collector"

Get with the times, sexist pig Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
17-07-2012, 09:37 AM
(17-07-2012 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 09:01 AM)bemore Wrote:  I work for my local authority..... so I understand that I have to stay impartial with regards to certain subjects because whilst I wear the uniform I am representing them..... so anything I say could be judged.
What authority? Are you police? Fire? Sanitation?

Are you saying that while you are physically wearing the uniform you are impartial, or that while you are employed they own you 24/7?

I would definitely want to see the written policy.
Whilst I am wearing my uniform I am a representative.

Will defo follow your advice and ask for a new copy of my employment contract as I cant find my old one.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
17-07-2012, 09:47 AM
(17-07-2012 09:25 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Unfortunately there is no clear cut line in the sand. Employers have fired or disciplined people and there is usually no recourse. It's good that your FB page doesn't explicitly state where you work and what you do. You may have signed a code of conduct for your job and that may have a section on this type of thing (check the IT section first). This area of law if lagging and evolving slowly.
Thanks.... I will defo check.

Gonna do some research into similar cases in my country.

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
17-07-2012, 10:02 AM
(17-07-2012 09:01 AM)bemore Wrote:  ....
However what I would like to know is where is the line in the sand??? Where is it acceptable for me to be "me" without fear or reprimand of my actions????
Personally, which doesn't always fit in with companies (some, but not all), it's more of a you obey the company rules when on the clock--after do whatever you want. If what happens outside work doesn't affect your work, they don't care, and then they will only reprimand you for not doing your work. So if you show up hungover, they don't care as long as you still do your work.

Other companies expect you to practically inform them of everything you do (they want to be "friends" on social sites to moniter you--just so they can critique your actions). Which I personally say is none of their business, and if these power-hungy ego maniacs want to know that much they should do anal exams in a prison--for a few reasons, one being that if they learn what you do, they'll find out what religious beliefs (or lack thereof), politics, sexual orientation, choice in partners, etc that's none of their business, and some grounds for protection.

Where the line is depends more of when the tide moves.... it changes with the wind/water/etc.
17-07-2012, 10:03 AM
(17-07-2012 09:37 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  What authority? Are you police? Fire? Sanitation?

Are you saying that while you are physically wearing the uniform you are impartial, or that while you are employed they own you 24/7?

I would definitely want to see the written policy.
Whilst I am wearing my uniform I am a representative.

Will defo follow your advice and ask for a new copy of my employment contract as I cant find my old one.

Yeah, get on the documents. More than likely, yer fucked. If you're not fucked, ya got an uphill battle where you get fired and the council gets a slap on the wrist, after which they make more convoluted contracts... Dodgy

17-07-2012, 10:03 AM
(17-07-2012 09:35 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 09:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  He's a bin man. He ain't got no expectation of privacy.
Erm...... my official title is "refuse collector"

Get with the times, sexist pig Tongue
Why would they even care what's on your FB page? I don't understand their mindset. At all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-07-2012, 11:05 AM
(17-07-2012 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why would they even care what's on your FB page? I don't understand their mindset. At all.
We have an temp workers employment agency on site to cover sickness and holidays and the boss of that alongside a guy from the union seem to be filling in our bosses on whats going down I have discovered.

When I was off work last week one guy who I work with had to work with a new agency lad.... my job is very cardiovascular as we all race/run around to get done because as soon as we are finished we can go home (no matter what time that is....still get paid the same) and this new lad was useless. The guy who I work with posted on FB that the guy was useless and it was gonna be a long day. When he got back to the office at the end of the shift he was pulled in by the big boss who had screenshots printed out of what he had put Dodgy Some drivers got pulled in because they were posting on facebook in worktime.

I personally think it is overstepping the line and is a bit ironic how they use facebook in works time, to check up on what we are putting on there. Angry

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Rules are for the ruled, not the rulers. Silly. Angel

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post