Facebook debate: Ben Carson Meme

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 01:49 AM
Facebook debate: Ben Carson Meme
You may have seen the Ben Carson meme Christians are going nuts over: [Image: carson.jpg]

Yeah, clever right?

It was posted on fb, and here's the conversation so far. Trying to work on a response that doesn't turn into a book.

Me: Calling out someone's namecalling: very good. Misrepresenting evolution: very bad. I would like to see footage of this debate Carson is talking about. In any case, the "come from monkeys" bit shows ignorance. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ks-he-won/
Mike E: Taking joke as fact puts the joke in you. Far more scientific facts behind the biblical version than behind the evolution theory.
Me:I love comedy and can't get enough of it. But, call me a killjoy, if the "joke" gets it wrong I just can't. But also I suspect it's only half joke, since I know many creationists think that's exactly what evolution teaches. I haven't heard one creationist correctly represent what evolution is, joking or not.

I'm going to disagree with you on your second sentence there. But not because I'm atheist and think the Bible got it wrong (which is the case), but because the sentence ignores the fact that for many people - including lots (I've heard "most" but don't have proof on me at the moment) of Christians - evolution does not cancel out the Bible. Lots (again carefully avoiding "most") of Christians believe in evolution, and there are even some atheists who don't believe in evolution.
Josh S:Mike E is still correct. In fact, evolution "teaches" nothing. It speculates. It's a theory. An untestable theory. IMO it doesn't even hold up to philosophical scrutiny. Many large issues at play here, not the least of which are Love, Purpose, and Reason.

Ah man, wtf. How many of you are now suffering brain aneurysm?

It should also be noted that that last guy has the laminin picture as his profile pic. Yeah, that bulshit.

Anyway, off to work.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2015, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 04:58 PM by true scotsman.)
RE: Facebook debate: Ben Carson Meme
(14-09-2015 01:49 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  You may have seen the Ben Carson meme Christians are going nuts over: [Image: carson.jpg]

Yeah, clever right?

It was posted on fb, and here's the conversation so far. Trying to work on a response that doesn't turn into a book.

Me: Calling out someone's namecalling: very good. Misrepresenting evolution: very bad. I would like to see footage of this debate Carson is talking about. In any case, the "come from monkeys" bit shows ignorance. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ks-he-won/
Mike E: Taking joke as fact puts the joke in you. Far more scientific facts behind the biblical version than behind the evolution theory.
Me:I love comedy and can't get enough of it. But, call me a killjoy, if the "joke" gets it wrong I just can't. But also I suspect it's only half joke, since I know many creationists think that's exactly what evolution teaches. I haven't heard one creationist correctly represent what evolution is, joking or not.

I'm going to disagree with you on your second sentence there. But not because I'm atheist and think the Bible got it wrong (which is the case), but because the sentence ignores the fact that for many people - including lots (I've heard "most" but don't have proof on me at the moment) of Christians - evolution does not cancel out the Bible. Lots (again carefully avoiding "most") of Christians believe in evolution, and there are even some atheists who don't believe in evolution.
Josh S:Mike E is still correct. In fact, evolution "teaches" nothing. It speculates. It's a theory. An untestable theory. IMO it doesn't even hold up to philosophical scrutiny. Many large issues at play here, not the least of which are Love, Purpose, and Reason.

Ah man, wtf. How many of you are now suffering brain aneurysm?

It should also be noted that that last guy has the laminin picture as his profile pic. Yeah, that bulshit.

Anyway, off to work.

Well what do you expect. If you stick your hand in a hornets nest, you'll get stung and if you argue with a creationist about evolution there's a hundred percent chance of aneurysms. These people aren't interested in the truth or knowledge, they are interested only in protecting their confessional investment. I refuse to get into a debate with them because I don't consider the subject debatable. They perceive the theory of evolution as a threat to their faith based beliefs and so it must be destroyed. One of my favorite bloggers, Dawson Bethrick, calls it "twerking for Jesus". I think that is a great phrase.

Leave them to their ignorance and willful evasion of the facts. They have destroyed their minds in order to hold on to their imaginary fantasy world. I used to post regularly on a christian forum and I had to quit because I found myself hating my fellow man and feeling angry all the time from dealing with them.

Edit: I held my nose and voted for Mitt Romney but I'll not do that again. I won't vote someone into the most powerful position in the world who believes the Earth is 6-10 thousand years old and who can't get the basics of Evolution right (Ben Carson). I won't vote for someone again who relies on faith to make momentous decisions.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Ben Carson can be great president. He is super intelligent.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
26-09-2015, 04:49 PM
(26-09-2015 04:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  Ben Carson can be great president. He is super intelligent.

He thinks the universe was created in 6 days, he's an idiot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-09-2015, 04:52 PM
(26-09-2015 04:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 04:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  Ben Carson can be great president. He is super intelligent.

Obama believes in God. Is he an idiot?

26-09-2015, 04:53 PM
That's funny. Tongue

He's not a moron for believing in god, he's a moron because he's a moron. But I don't think he believes any of that shit, I think he's just playing the margins.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-09-2015, 04:53 PM
(26-09-2015 04:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Obama believes in Christian God. Is he an idiot?
Ben Carson is intelligent man. I am sure he is much more intelligent than you.

26-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Maybe he could be a great president, but young earth creationists are anything but intelligent. My opinion.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
26-09-2015, 05:00 PM
(26-09-2015 04:54 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Maybe he could be a great president, but young earth creationists are anything but intelligent. My opinion.
Obama believes in Christian God, it is anything but intelligent.
I agree that Ben Carson could be a great president.

26-09-2015, 05:01 PM
(26-09-2015 04:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 04:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  He thinks the universe was created in 6 days, he's an idiot.
Obama believes in God. Is he an idiot?

Obama is supportive of science and knows evolution to be a fact. I'm a little dubious of his belief in god, it seems to be more cultural. Ben Carson would be an embarrassment to this country and looked on as backward and a laughing stalk by leaders of most civilized countries in the world. Ben Carson is an idiot and beyond ridiculous.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post