Facebook debates.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Facebook debates.
I think that any theological debate should be held publicly.
The reason is that the arguing sides will almost definitely never reach a common ground. The whole point of debating is so other people can watch the debate and hopefully it will plant the seeds of doubt in them (the same thing happened to me).
What do you think? does debating one-one-one accomplish anything?

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 06:02 PM by Logisch.)
RE: Facebook debates.
Well, there's arguing and then there is intelligent debate. Most the time facebook "debates" end up going to nothing but angry words and spouting bs off.

If opportunity presents itself to have an intelligent conversation, well, there's always that possibility. I think it would heavily depend on who you are speaking with and how well you know them. In which case, yes, if they are willing to talk about it in a fashion that you both can case your side, someone may have a striking moment of doubt..

I generally leave facebook alone but that's just me. But again, conditions being right, yeah, I guess it's possible.
27-01-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: Facebook debates.
Maybe... sometimes... it depends on how open the people debating really are to the idea that their position may be incorrect.

When it comes to professional debates, those debates are typically for the crowds, not the debaters.