Facebook, disturbing pictures, and religious comments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Facebook, disturbing pictures, and religious comments
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but just today someone in my friends list shared a photo of a baby hooked up and well won't give too many details (as it's kind of disturbing). I noticed some people said "I'll pray for the baby and the family!" and others said "how can god let this happen?" Ironically, apparently it's considered a "sick child hoax" as the child's well, over a year old--and there's even a facebook page devoted to "stop sick children hoaxes".

Anyway...
My first thought was "poor baby" followed by a thought of how odd some comments were. People are praying for a baby and the baby's family with no idea who the baby is, when it was taken, who the family is, etc. yet they believe god will hear their prayers and answer them...... yet, given what they believe, their god knew it would happen, didn't do anything to prevent it (even in the womb, or before, so it could remain hidden), and decided to let it happen instead.

I find it really odd that people could find the thought of a god letting such things happen (for any reason), or even that prayer will change the diety's mind--instead of that it's something that happens due to genetics and general things that happen in animal birth.

Even tonight my next door neighbour said she was going to pray for rain. I asked "if you went for a walk, would you take an umbrella?" She was like no!...uh..um...think about it.... (about a minute passed).... "I like walking in the rain"

I keep on hearing how some say atheists really do believe in a god--I really beginning to think the theists really know there isn't one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like elemts's post
29-07-2012, 08:02 PM
RE: Facebook, disturbing pictures, and religious comments
Many theists know that there aren't really any gods. Why do you think so many of them repeatedly use the "I believe" mantra? "I believe in God" "I believe in Jesus" "I believe..." yada yada yada.

If you unquestioningly believe something, there's no need to keep saying that you do. Before you leave your home each morning, do you repeatedly say "I believe in gravity" on the off-chance that, if you didn't, you might float off into the sky, never to be seen again? No. No, you don't. If something is patently true, you don't need to keep expressing your belief in it.

It's those "believers" who get most notably angry in the presence of atheists or agnostics. If their reality bubble keeps getting poked, they're afraid that one day it might just go ahead and burst.

Surround yourself in fellow believers to strengthen that bubble.

Amen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
29-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Elemts,
What do you mean by 'hooked up'? Am I missing something?

Tbh, I don't know what you see in Facebook. Each to their own Drinking Beverage

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
29-07-2012, 08:24 PM
(29-07-2012 08:14 PM)aurora Wrote:  Elemts,

Covered in medical things. Sensors on the head, chest, IVS in the arm and I believe leg. Other tubes in the legs. Breathing tube in the lungs, NG tube, or something else I don't know of offhand as there's a tube up the nose. Tubes into the stomach/chest.... and sensors on the arms/legs.
29-07-2012, 08:29 PM
(29-07-2012 08:24 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(29-07-2012 08:14 PM)aurora Wrote:  Elemts,

Covered in medical things. Sensors on the head, chest, IVS in the arm and I believe leg. Other tubes in the legs. Breathing tube in the lungs, NG tube, or something else I don't know of offhand as there's a tube up the nose. Tubes into the stomach/chest.... and sensors on the arms/legs.

Yes, I thought that's what you implied. That's sad Sad
I hope the doc's have it 'in hand'.

Don't listen to those pesky theists as they'll turn you inside out and upside down Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
29-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome to Atheism.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
29-07-2012, 09:49 PM
What kinda bored you gotta be, make a "sick kid hoax" post? Consider

...and of course someone mentions facebook, and I go look at mine, and there's Gwynnies... and I go way. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-07-2012, 10:14 PM
I married into a family of devout Catholics, and they often post a lot of religious-themed pictures or sentiments. You should see my comments. Big Grin

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
30-07-2012, 03:36 AM
Here in Ireland, religion is not serious at all among my generation. But recently on Facebook, I have seen things like "Like if love God, keep scrolling if you love the devil!" Of course people were liking it. I am so disappointed. Fuck I wish I wasn't atheist.
30-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I never noticed the crazy circular logic before I was an Atheist. People say God has a plan, yet they pray for him to alter it... Uhhh if God has a plan, then it's bigger than you dip shit! So stop praying, you look like a fool. I just assume most of these people don't stop to think for two seconds before they open their big mouth, especially with all of this miracle talk. You know where a child gets shot in the face and lives but is paralyzed for life; they say, its a miracle! God saved this child! No you moron, why would God allow this bullet to blast the kid in the face and alter their entire existence just to save them? Yet, if the kid died they would say God was ready for him in heaven. Some of the smartest people sound so ridiculous sometimes, but when it comes to religion it seems: Reality, Logic and Reason are out the window.

Justin
[+] 2 users Like Kinger's post