Facebook et al may be improving the cause of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Facebook et al may be improving the cause of Atheism
http://guardianlv.com/2013/10/social-med...-millions/

Quote:Atheism. It used to be a taboo word; a word people would whisper in horror, causing dropped jaws and deep frown lines on foreheads at its very mention. Atheists used to be such a tiny minority that it was nearly impossible to meet one. Any mention of the concept could conjure up images that scene from RoseMary’s Baby; the one where Ruth Gordon tells Mia Farrow how wonderful it is that she’s carrying Satan’s Baby: “He chose you, honey! From all the women in the world to be the mother of his only living son!” she said, an evil and disconcerting smile spreading across her face.

There are some people who still think that atheists worship Satan or participate in infant sacrifices. Little do they know that atheists don’t believe in Satan because they don’t believe in the supernatural, and most of them just adore babies. Now, some of those odd and misinformed stereotypes are being dispelled because social media is growing atheism by the millions. There’s strength in numbers, as they say, and atheism has been expanding massively over the last ten years.

This is an interesting take on Social media and I know a lot of you have issues with Facebook and the twitter. But maybe they aren't all bad.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-10-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Facebook et al may be improving the cause of Atheism
Unfiltered Information (the truth) is the enemy of Theism.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
29-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Once the brain opens a window for doubt, atheism is just plain common sense. And yes, despite all the "prayer warriors" on FB, there is a good presence of atheists.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I like what I'm seeing in that editorial, and agree. And I applaud those of you who can put up with Facebook.

*shudders*

But I cant....I just can't. Too much stupid... Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
29-10-2013, 11:02 AM
(29-10-2013 10:56 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I like what I'm seeing in that editorial, and agree. And I applaud those of you who can put up with Facebook.

*shudders*

But I cant....I just can't. Too much stupid... Weeping

The trick is to pick your friends wisely and for those who can't resist posting religious crap there is always the option to not see their posts.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2013, 11:09 AM
(29-10-2013 10:56 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Too much stupid...

That's the world, son, not fb. FB just brings out the exhibitionist and/or validation-seeking type of stupid.

(As do forums, for that matter Drinking Beverage )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
29-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I am surprised not to have experienced more blowback since I started posting Atheist things on FB. I did get rid of the people that were endlessly posting religious things. I really don't recall more than one time that an argument was posted to any atheist memes, quotes, or any other content along those lines. Though I was blasted for posting a meme about Karma...not the real, deep meaning behind Karma but the pop culture 'Karma's a bitch' kind of thing. I thought that a little odd. But whatever. I have a dog named Karma, you will see the word on my FB now and then.

It's interesting to me that I haven't come up against any resistance...the word's getting out there. The more people realize that someone they know and like/love is a non-believer maybe the more tolerant people will become in general.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
29-10-2013, 12:45 PM
(29-10-2013 12:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am surprised not to have experienced more blowback since I started posting Atheist things on FB. I did get rid of the people that were endlessly posting religious things. I really don't recall more than one time that an argument was posted to any atheist memes, quotes, or any other content along those lines. Though I was blasted for posting a meme about Karma...not the real, deep meaning behind Karma but the pop culture 'Karma's a bitch' kind of thing. I thought that a little odd. But whatever. I have a dog named Karma, you will see the word on my FB now and then.

It's interesting to me that I haven't come up against any resistance...the word's getting out there. The more people realize that someone they know and like/love is a non-believer maybe the more tolerant people will become in general.

That is what has pushed the acceptance of homosexuals. More than anything else putting a human face on a concept makes it harder to hate. It is much easier to hate a faceless nameless thing than it is to hate a friend or family member.

29-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Cool, they mentioned "us". But this doesn't make me like Facebook in any way.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
29-10-2013, 12:59 PM
(29-10-2013 10:14 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Unfiltered Information (the truth) is the enemy of Theism.

It can go both ways. Unfiltered (mis)information (Things that are accepted to be true without question) is the enemy of atheism.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."