Facebook et al may be improving the cause of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 11:47 PM
RE: Facebook et al may be improving the cause of Atheism
(29-10-2013 09:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://guardianlv.com/2013/10/social-med...-millions/

Quote:Atheism. It used to be a taboo word; a word people would whisper in horror, causing dropped jaws and deep frown lines on foreheads at its very mention. Atheists used to be such a tiny minority that it was nearly impossible to meet one. Any mention of the concept could conjure up images that scene from RoseMary’s Baby; the one where Ruth Gordon tells Mia Farrow how wonderful it is that she’s carrying Satan’s Baby: “He chose you, honey! From all the women in the world to be the mother of his only living son!” she said, an evil and disconcerting smile spreading across her face.

There are some people who still think that atheists worship Satan or participate in infant sacrifices. Little do they know that atheists don’t believe in Satan because they don’t believe in the supernatural, and most of them just adore babies. Now, some of those odd and misinformed stereotypes are being dispelled because social media is growing atheism by the millions. There’s strength in numbers, as they say, and atheism has been expanding massively over the last ten years.

This is an interesting take on Social media and I know a lot of you have issues with Facebook and the twitter. But maybe they aren't all bad.

I didn't realize this until I was in my mid-twenties. I was a vocal atheist by the time I was 15, maybe a bit sooner. Even though I heard all sorts of crazy things from people, like rumors that I worshiped the sun, I didn't realize I was so stigmatized. I think one of my biggest faults or failures is my inability to see how I am perceived by my peers, and colleagues. Perhaps that can be a fortuitous failing at times. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-10-2013, 02:36 AM
(29-10-2013 12:59 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 10:14 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Unfiltered Information (the truth) is the enemy of Theism.

It can go both ways. Unfiltered (mis)information (Things that are accepted to be true without question) is the enemy of atheism.
Semantics. But misinformation by nature is filtered information.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
30-10-2013, 03:56 AM
What's a facebook?

Huh

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post