Facebook prayer requests make me insane!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Facebook prayer requests make me insane!
Few things make me crazier than FB prayer requests. Seriously, I can understand someone believing in god and all that rot, but not understanding how ludicrous prayer is is to me beyond delusional. It was the seed of my breaking from the church (I think I was always an atheist but this was the straw that made me finally leave).
If prayer worked we wouldn't need prayer requests/chains--am I right? Doesn't this make hella sense??
How many prayers does it take for god to stop letting a child suffer? If you don't have very many FB friends, the child is screwed. I suppose you could hire one of those banner planes and have them drag the prayer request through the sky on a clear day. It's as if people think FB is this great tool to use to get a bunch of people praying, like it's the best thing going for changing god's mind. Wow, aren't we lucky nowadays!
HOW WOULD GOD KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT FACEBOOK??
Maybe it's me, but I think prayer and the lack of evidence for it's validity is the hugest example of cognitive dissonance there is and we should be pointing out this lunacy wherever we can. Prayer is huge for Christians, but it seems like even they would have to admit, if pressed, that it's all in their heads.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes socken's post
04-09-2012, 01:55 AM
RE: Facebook prayer requests make me insane!
I once came across someone asking his friends to pray for a loved-one who had decided to convert to Satanism (the "live for yourself" kind; not the "butcher bunnies for the dark lord" kind). The way he worded it; you could tell he was friggin' distraught over this "horrible" circumstance.

After dozens of his friends gave him their condolences, I - the humble little atheist (tongue planted firmly in cheek as I say that) - came along and left a teeny-tiny little reply about how his friend is living her life the way she wants; is not hurting anyone; and thus needs to be left to her own business. I then added (I'll quote) "Besides, if prayer was worth anything at all, there'd be A LOT less cancer patients."

In the hours following, I was promptly siezed, beaten and crucified by the group of christians, then left erected at the top of a hill to suffer my torture unto death.

Logic scares them, I guess. Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess it's all emotional. No thinking involved. It's too scary for them to actually think about it and they have to know that on some level, so they emotionally lash out.

Good for you, though. I don't think I could do that.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes socken's post
04-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Here's an idea: Let's start a PRAYER AVALANCHE! The more people we get praying will surely grab god's attention and make good things happen for all us! Hmmm, think I just threw up a little...

Yeah, I see this at least once a week. If I see it more than once in a short time span from the same person I tend to put them on ignore PDQ...

This is why I fly this as my blog header:

[Image: cropped-cover1.png]

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post