Facebook's recent addition of 56 Gender choices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Facebook's recent addition of 56 Gender choices
(15-02-2014 10:20 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  So....there's a ton of man made genders, but hermaphrodite isn't on here? Blink Way to go, facebook!

They must have forgot that one while Googling every other conceivable gender.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 10:34 PM
RE: Facebook's recent addition of 56 Gender choices
(15-02-2014 10:20 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  So....there's a ton of man made genders, but hermaphrodite isn't on here? Blink Way to go, facebook!

Hermaphrodite isn't a gender.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2014, 10:40 PM
(15-02-2014 08:47 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  from the article:
Quote:Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cisgender
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans*
Trans Female
Trans* Female
Trans Male
Trans* Male
Trans Man
Trans* Man
Trans Person
Trans* Person
Trans Woman
Trans* Woman
Transfeminine
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transgender Man
Transgender Person
Transgender Woman
Transmasculine
Transsexual
Transsexual Female
Transsexual Male
Transsexual Man
Transsexual Person
Transsexual Woman
Two-Spirit

They forgot Transfat.
[+] 3 users Like meremortal's post
15-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I wish I could asexually reproduce.
[Image: ?CmtOrder=DateEntered&CmtDir=ASC]
Oh wait, I can.
THANK YOU NON-CONTROVERSIAL NON-FETAL STEM CELLS!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
15-02-2014, 10:49 PM
(15-02-2014 08:44 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I'm curious to know what anyone thinks of this. I have no religious objection to it, but annoys me greatly.

Don't get me wrong: I support gay rights, and believe the transgender community deserves the same rights as anyone else.

However, 56 gender options is ludicrous, and I can't see this as helpful to any cause other than getting attention. Thoughts?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/...tions.html

It's silly. I'm guessing that they just added everything that was requested with little oversight.

Transexualism isn't a gender, it is a reference to one's biological sexual history. Once a MtF transexual has completed their transitioning they generally want to be identified as female. That is what the MtF transexuals in Thailand are fighting for; they want their official documents to indicate that they are female and they want to be able to use female toilets and to be sent to female prisons if they are convicted of a crime.

I don't know of any MtF transexuals that have undergone castration, estrogen treatment, vaginoplasty, breast implantation, trachea shaving, depilation and facial feminisation surgery because they want to be known as MtF transexuals--they want to be known as women. Even MtF transexuals that have a penis still tend to identify as female if they live as women.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chippy's post
15-02-2014, 11:32 PM
(15-02-2014 08:44 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I'm curious to know what anyone thinks of this. I have no religious objection to it, but annoys me greatly.

Don't get me wrong: I support gay rights, and believe the transgender community deserves the same rights as anyone else.

However, 56 gender options is ludicrous, and I can't see this as helpful to any cause other than getting attention. Thoughts?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/...tions.html

If it's how someone identifies themselves, who cares?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-02-2014, 11:54 PM
The whole thing is stupid. Some are not even genders at all. Why don't they just let people type in their gender?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
15-02-2014, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 12:02 AM by Logisch.)
(15-02-2014 11:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  The whole thing is stupid. Some are not even genders at all. Why don't they just let people type in their gender?

There was a time when facebook let you fill that out all around. Early days of facebook. But I suspect for purposes of statistics, they have set it to options so they can use it for statistic purposes in database.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
16-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Of course Farcebook still insists that you use your 'real'' name.
16-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Let people use the terms they want to use. You can choose whatever you want in the religion category, why not the same for gender?

Self-identification means you get to choose what you call yourself. Some people care a lot about what they call themselves, so what's the benefit in trying to restrict that?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post