Facebook's recent addition of 56 Gender choices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 12:07 AM
RE: Facebook's recent addition of 56 Gender choices
I'm sad that nobody noticed my irobot reference.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
16-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Facebook aren't trying to be caring and inclusive. They're just trying to get as much information as possible. It's how they make money, by harvesting your information so advertising can be better directed to manipulate you into spending money you wouldn't otherwise spend. So if implementing a mechanism to allow you to reveal certain medical conditions aids in that then they will do so.

I try to reveal as little personal information as possible on Facebook. I keep getting pestered about questions regarding where I went to university along with helpful suggestions based on where my friends went (again they're trying to make it easy to harvest information). I once tried putting in erroneous information but they actually have checks that the university and course exists. Besides it would just help them to sell their data by saying how much they have and the buyers wouldn't know that any of it is false.

The 56 gender choices aren't meant to be alternatives to each other, they're there to try and capture the information however it is input.
16-02-2014, 05:34 AM
good that I`m not on facebook

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
16-02-2014, 05:37 AM
(15-02-2014 09:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  More to the point: who cares?

Their marketing department, obviously. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 06:11 AM
(16-02-2014 05:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 09:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  More to the point: who cares?

Their marketing department, obviously. Dodgy

Well they certainly stirred up interest. Kudos to them I guess.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-02-2014, 11:18 AM
The majority of the list is the same thing rephrased over and over. There's no point to any of it.
16-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Can I classify myself as a NSA spy that kisses the ass of a shitty website so that I can spy on you and find out if you're a derka derka terrorist or not? (remember, you're only a terrorist if the NSA says you are!)

[Image: 9f6.gif]
16-02-2014, 12:42 PM
(15-02-2014 10:20 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  So....there's a ton of man made genders, but hermaphrodite isn't on here? Blink Way to go, facebook!

Isn't that 'sex' rather than 'gender'?

I don't know what I am anymore, What's Cis? No idea!

Lucky I don't have to choose.

No

16-02-2014, 12:45 PM
(16-02-2014 12:07 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm sad that nobody noticed my irobot reference.

If I had understood any of the terms you used in that post, I'd have 'liked' it. Sorry.

16-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I've been offline for a while. Between losing power and then getting stuck in the US blizzard in the southeast this past week, my online time has been almost completely relegated to work. A lot has changed in the 10 or so days that I was down. When I last was communicating with the world at large, there were 2 genders: male and female. I come back on line ~10 days later and there are over 50 of them. Imagine my shock. It's like waking up from a 200 year coma.

Personally, I could care less about this. How people want to identify themselves is of zero consequence to me. It has no bearing on my life so I have no opinion on it. You want to identify your gender as "brocoli", by all means, please do so.

I guess the only part of it I would comment on is that people seem to think that the word "gender" has a different meaning than what it actually does mean. We seem to have entered a point in history were words don't have meaning anymore, and that I find a little concerning. But, other than that, who cares?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost