Facebook with theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Facebook with theists
(27-08-2012 02:40 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I've stopped going to facebook since I came here. I still have my page up. Several times a day there's posts like 'God is Great' and 'Going to Church today'.. Dodgy

I think if I do go back, I'm just making a completely different facebook and starting from scratch.

But right now I'm just happy not going there every five minutes. TTA replaced my FB. I'm happy with that.

Me too. Drinking Beverage

Edit: Except the part about leaving my FB page up. Drinking Beverage Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2012, 08:10 AM
RE: Facebook with theists
(27-08-2012 02:40 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I've stopped going to facebook since I came here. I still have my page up. Several times a day there's posts like 'God is Great' and 'Going to Church today'.. Dodgy
Never had facebook, never will. Problemo solvdo. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I never really kept a large Facebook friends count, but over the past several months, I've trimmed down my list a bit more due to the reactions I was getting from theist friends that was unacceptable.

I'm a member of several atheist themed FB community pages, including TTA's FB page. On one of them, a meme style picture was posted with one of the more heinous parts of the Bible quoted. I made a comment on it, and I was unaware that friends were able to see something that I had commented on (still can't seem to find any way to stop that from happening). Two of them flipped over it, whining and moaning at ME over it, claiming I was ignorant and hadn't read enough of the account (which I had, and it was continuously as disturbing as the first part that had been quoted), and then commented on the image in question, as well as a few other posts in that community, making complete fools of themselves in the process. When they had gotten their asses thoroughly handed to them by the members of the community, they came right back to me to whine and moan about it as if it had been my fault that they'd gone on a rampage and made idiots of themselves. I just deleted them. I wasn't gonna put up with it anymore.

For the most part, my small friends list contains mostly atheists and pagans. I have very few Christians there anymore. Those who are there still are tolerant and never bother me about what I comment on or "like". So I give them the same courtesy.
[+] 4 users Like SlipStitch's post
03-09-2012, 12:16 AM
First time poster, so be gentle. Smile

I am having a quandary. I often get into Facebook debates on Religion for a couple of reasons. Destroying people with logic can be very soothing and while I know I am not convincing those I am debating with, lots of people are watching from the sidelines and hopefully I am making a difference with them. Now, an old employee of mine, who is a very sweet girl of 19, is totally brainwashed. I mean every day she came over (I work from home) she listened to Pentecostal sermons all day. Apparently in her religion sect TV is banned, but the internet is fine. Anyway, we have been having a debate on Facebook where I have tried to show her new ideas that she has never been exposed to (she and basically everyone in her social group is a Young Earth Creationist).

Now, it is a good conversation, and despite how ruthless I am towards religion, she stays calm and does not lose her cool, which is amazing. The issue is it is really, really long. Like, it takes several hours a day to read and respond. In 6 responses back and forth, we have eclipsed the 50,000 word mark (according to Microsoft Word).

Now, as I said, I totally want to keep debating with her as I do think seeds are being planted, but I see no end in sight. I guess I am looking for some sort of validation here from anyone reading this that this is an endeavor worth continuing.

- Bryan
[+] 2 users Like sticks128's post
03-09-2012, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 08:17 AM by Vosur.)
(03-09-2012 12:16 AM)sticks128 Wrote:  First time poster, so be gentle. Smile
That's what she said. Laughat

Thanks for sharing your story. If you require help debating with a YEC, there are a lot of folks (including me) who are willing to assist you. That being said, welcome aboard!

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
(03-09-2012 12:16 AM)sticks128 Wrote:  First time poster, so be gentle. Smile

I am having a quandary. I often get into Facebook debates on Religion for a couple of reasons. Destroying people with logic can be very soothing and while I know I am not convincing those I am debating with, lots of people are watching from the sidelines and hopefully I am making a difference with them. Now, an old employee of mine, who is a very sweet girl of 19, is totally brainwashed. I mean every day she came over (I work from home) she listened to Pentecostal sermons all day. Apparently in her religion sect TV is banned, but the internet is fine. Anyway, we have been having a debate on Facebook where I have tried to show her new ideas that she has never been exposed to (she and basically everyone in her social group is a Young Earth Creationist).

Now, it is a good conversation, and despite how ruthless I am towards religion, she stays calm and does not lose her cool, which is amazing. The issue is it is really, really long. Like, it takes several hours a day to read and respond. In 6 responses back and forth, we have eclipsed the 50,000 word mark (according to Microsoft Word).

Now, as I said, I totally want to keep debating with her as I do think seeds are being planted, but I see no end in sight. I guess I am looking for some sort of validation here from anyone reading this that this is an endeavor worth continuing.

- Bryan
The fight against ingroance is one of the best ways to weed out the truth.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Sticks, I can't say any debates I've ever had with a theist came to them seeing the light and shedding their religious beliefs. I feel like I've been able to plant seeds of doubt in minds, but they never really take root and grow much, if any. I'm not a terribly good teacher, though. But, this one seems very interested in what you have to say, since you've been back and forth with her about it so much. Might be she's already leaning over to this side of the fence, so to speak, but she's scared. She's been brainwashed with that nonsense her entire life, and leaving it can be frightening. Her parents could disown her, she could lose everyone she's ever loved or really known.

I say continue. The end may not seem to be in sight, but the information you're giving her is still very beneficial. She may not come around right away, but that doesn't mean she never will. Heck, if she feels brave enough, you could invite her over this way some time!
04-09-2012, 06:06 AM
I changed several people to where I only get their "most important" posts on my news feed. That stopped a lot of it.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I am not sure I am doing my job right, I just agreed to go to her church! lol But it was in exchange for her reading Why Evolution is True. Smile

Thanks for the feedback people, will keep fighting the good fight.
[+] 1 user Likes sticks128's post
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
The girl I am debating with just said "I don't think God is responsible for making the earth rotate. I know he is." And the context was not a "he created the Universe so everything that happens naturally is because of him" but rather a "I feel every day he is spinning it on his metaphysical finger like a basketball" context.

It honestly feels like I just got punched in the stomach.