Facebook with theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM
RE: Facebook with theists
(08-10-2012 04:38 PM)amyb Wrote:  Haha! I swear I don't have a 'stache.

It kinda blows my mind sometimes, the way some theists prove all my points about the problems with religion without realizing it.

And I'm very offended when people tell me I'm not allowed to mention being an atheist and I should keep my atheist mouth shut, even when I see harmful things being done because of religion. Everyone worries about "religious feelings," what about my "atheist feelings?" They get hurt all the time!

You do understand that there is something inherently wrong with their thinking.

Religion poisons everything.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
[Sigh] Indeed, it does. I guess there is some consolation in knowing I have logic and reason on my side.

Same person told me there is huge amounts of indisputable evidence proving God's existence. I said I don't doubt that dude interprets things to fit in with his belief system, but it's unconvincing for those outside his belief system. Sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall. Except brick walls never Godwin you. =0D
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 07:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2012 04:58 PM)amyb Wrote:  [Sigh] Indeed, it does. I guess there is some consolation in knowing I have logic and reason on my side.

Same person told me there is huge amounts of indisputable evidence proving God's existence. I said I don't doubt that dude interprets things to fit in with his belief system, but it's unconvincing for those outside his belief system. Sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall. Except brick walls never Godwin you. =0D

I never bother to question their deities. I just cut 'em off at their weak little fucking knees. "Your religion promises a postmortem preservation of identity. How's that even imaginable let alone tenable? Gimme any plausible mechanism of action for that, ... come on, any at all? ... [crickets chirping] ... Get the fuck outta my face before I sumo you the fuck outta my face."

N.B. This doesn't work on religions which don't posit a postmortem preservation of identity, but those fuckers never get in my face anyway.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
(09-10-2012 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I never bother to question their deities. I just cut 'em off at their weak little fucking knees. "Your religion promises a postmortem preservation of identity. How's that even imaginable let alone tenable? Gimme any plausible mechanism of action for that, ... come on, any at all? ... [crickets chirping] ... Get the fuck outta my face before I sumo you the fuck outta my face."

N.B. This doesn't work on religions which don't posit a postmortem preservation of identity, but those fuckers never get in my face anyway.

Tried that. The problem is their thinking. If they can't think right, you can't reason with them. They just talk about bogus shit like "the body weighs less at death, therefore souls." "If a body weighs less at death," I tell them, "it's because the anal and urinary sphincters loosen. So if the body weighs less at death, therefore poop." Or it could be just loss of moisture, I dunno, but poop is still more believable than souls.

I've tried asking for plausible explanations of preservation of identity, and it's basically like talking to a 2 year old with their fingers in their ears, shouting "lalala I'm not listening." Except it's adults, so it's much harder to forgive... The one was trying to tell me DNA exists, therefore God, and was trying to make fun of evolutionary biology while having no idea whatsoever how natural selection works (this is actually one of my largest peeves).

Basically, they keep telling me they "feel Jesus in their hearts" or whatever, and that this feeling disproves any real life, logical stuff I might say. How the hell are "feelings" proof of anything?

I'd tell them to fuck off but a lot of them are relatives and I am only polite because it would upset relatives I do like, but there's only so much a person can take. So I unfriended all these people who only friended me because I was distantly related. Every single thing they post is about Jesus, anyway. Then they freak out if I post atheists things, because that offends their delicate religious sensibilities, though I've always ignored all the Christian posts.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I was born and raised a catholic. Lately, I feel atheist. Someties I feel Christian. Does that make me agnostic?

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
(04-04-2013 12:54 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I was born and raised a catholic. Lately, I feel atheist. Someties I feel Christian. Does that make me agnostic?

No.

It makes you in transition. Agnosticism is a conscious, rational position of understanding that one has no knowledge.

You are probably understanding that you don't really believe anymore, but old habits of thought and old feelings don't just disappear.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-04-2013, 06:05 PM
(04-04-2013 12:54 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I was born and raised a catholic. Lately, I feel atheist. Someties I feel Christian. Does that make me agnostic?

Between hanging out here and Facebook theists, you'll be atheist soon enough. Evil_monster

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
05-04-2013, 11:07 AM
[Image: 796.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Facebook with theists
(05-04-2013 11:07 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  [Image: 796.jpg]

Erx, I am so glad the RPG games I have played do not recite poems when casting spells. It would completely ruin the game if resurrection were accompanied by a rhyme as bad as that (or any spell).
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post