Facepalm Podcast Moment 'Proof That God Exists'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Facepalm Podcast Moment 'Proof That God Exists'
Like most of you I really enjoy TTA Podcasts. Seth does a brilliant job and I can quite happily listen to them back to back for a few hours some days.

Today I watched one labeled 'Proof That God Exists' which was a three way conversation with a Christian Apologist. Now I can only assume that a great many of you reading this have listened to that particular Podcast. All I can say is Seth is extremely patient with some of the guests and full credit for him for that as I don't think I could have been with this particular apologist. I have never heard such dribble and circular arguments in my life. I was listening to it in my car and seriously I was yelling out things like "You have got to be kidding" at some of his fuzzy logic. Total Facepalm moment. Who else has heard this one? Your opinions would be interesting, but lol yeah I struggled to listen to it all in the end. Just ridiculous circular arguments all the way through.

"Nothing Great is Easy" - Des Renford (English Channel Swimmer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2012, 07:29 AM
RE: Facepalm Podcast Moment 'Proof That God Exists'
I don't remember this particular episode, I probably haven't heard it, but from what you say it reminds me of the recent back-and-forth he had with the guy from The Eternal Planner website. WOW was it awkward to listen to. It sounded like the other guy had no experience in radio, to begin with, so it was quite difficult to even accept him as an interviewer. That said, he was so damn awful with his questions! And the answers?! OMG if I was a believer, or someone who at least sees him as some sort of a leader, I'd be mortified! He was so embarrassing!
30-12-2012, 07:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xmw1sVhN8

There you go, Pandabby.

On to the topic, I like to admit; I Silverman'd, I facepalmed, I yelled "You've gotta be kidding me!", and I them marvelled at Seth's patience. I could not have remained so calm.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
30-12-2012, 04:45 PM
The Apologist on 'Proof That God Exists' drove me much more mental than the guy on 'The Eternal Planner'. I mean obviously they both had poor arguments but the sheer arrogance of the apologist repeating things like "Everyone believes in God" and then using circular arguments. I was yelling "Er no they don't you penut." He was an utter idiot. Full credit to Seth as usual for his calm disposition.

30-12-2012, 04:55 PM
(30-12-2012 04:45 PM)Endurance Swimmer Wrote:  The Apologist on 'Proof That God Exists' drove me much more mental than the guy on 'The Eternal Planner'. I mean obviously they both had poor arguments but the sheer arrogance of the apologist repeating things like "Everyone believes in God" and then using circular arguments. I was yelling "Er no they don't you penut." He was an utter idiot. Full credit to Seth as usual for his calm disposition.
I still haven't forgiven Seth for subjecting us to the Sye Dumbrugginmoron Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
30-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Maybe I'm just not as shocked as the average person by bad arguments. I don't know about other countries, but US public schools don't teach people how to debate. We know about things like circular arguments because atheists have more experience debating and criticizing/discussing/thinking about debate more than your typical theist. But even so, there are atheists among us who also make circular arguments -- it isn't just "a theist thing".

So when I hear theists making bad arguments, my first thought is "he probably doesn't spend time in a forum or social circle that puts a high value on debate skills" rather than "he's such a dummy". And when you put it in that perspective, it's pretty easy to be patient with them.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
30-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Im not sure that the apologist in question was unintelligent, he seemed reasonably articulate which made it all the more frustrating to listen to his dribble.

31-12-2012, 03:39 AM
I was going back through the older podcasts and listening to them recently, and I came across this one.

I stopped listening about 3/4 of the way through. If I hadn't, my walls would have fist-sized holes in them.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2012, 09:59 AM
(30-12-2012 03:12 AM)Endurance Swimmer Wrote:  Like most of you I really enjoy TTA Podcasts. Seth does a brilliant job and I can quite happily listen to them back to back for a few hours some days.

Today I watched one labeled 'Proof That God Exists' which was a three way conversation with a Christian Apologist. Now I can only assume that a great many of you reading this have listened to that particular Podcast. All I can say is Seth is extremely patient with some of the guests and full credit for him for that as I don't think I could have been with this particular apologist. I have never heard such dribble and circular arguments in my life. I was listening to it in my car and seriously I was yelling out things like "You have got to be kidding" at some of his fuzzy logic. Total Facepalm moment. Who else has heard this one? Your opinions would be interesting, but lol yeah I struggled to listen to it all in the end. Just ridiculous circular arguments all the way through.
I don't remember listening to that one, but I thought I had listened to them all. I'm going to have to check into that.

But, OMG I just went to that guy's website: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org

I went through his "8 steps to the logical proof of God's existence" out of curiosity. First, I detoured from the path he wanted me to take twice which already nullified his so-called "proof". But then I followed his desired path just to see how it would conclude. This was it:

"The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything." (In all fairness, he gives more details after that, but they don't change anything.)

To which I can only say: Laugh out load

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
31-12-2012, 10:15 AM
(31-12-2012 09:59 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't remember listening to that one, but I thought I had listened to them all. I'm going to have to check into that.

But, OMG I just went to that guy's website: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org

I went through his "8 steps to the logical proof of God's existence" out of curiosity. First, I detoured from the path he wanted me to take twice which already nullified his so-called "proof". But then I followed his desired path just to see how it would conclude. This was it:

"The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything." (In all fairness, he gives more details after that, but they don't change anything.)

To which I can only say: Laugh out load
That website has got to be one of the most laughable attempts at proving the existence of god (which god anyway? and who is he to say that there aren't multiple gods? Wink) I've ever seen. The last part was especially amusing:

"Please examine the real reason why you are running from God. It is my prayer that God will open your eyes and change your heart so that you may be saved from your sin, embraced by His forgiving love, and come to know the peace which passes all understanding."

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post