Facepalm Podcast Moment 'Proof That God Exists'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Facepalm Podcast Moment 'Proof That God Exists'
(03-01-2013 10:49 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  "That was the Old Covenant" doesn't work because "god never changes", therefore what was "moral" to this deity at one time . . . will ALWAYS be "moral".
Yes and no. You mention "that was the Old Covenant" because that's how Christians rationalize clearly immoral actions, and because they recognize them as immoral they don't practice them. On the other hand, having those things in a book that Christians regard as always true could lead a revival of old traditions that make them recognized as moral again (like when witch burning became popular in the feudal era). So while we have no fear of today's Christians committing genocide, it's always something that could be right around the corner.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-02-2013, 11:27 AM
(30-12-2012 03:12 AM)Endurance Swimmer Wrote:  Like most of you I really enjoy TTA Podcasts. Seth does a brilliant job and I can quite happily listen to them back to back for a few hours some days.

Today I watched one labeled 'Proof That God Exists' which was a three way conversation with a Christian Apologist. Now I can only assume that a great many of you reading this have listened to that particular Podcast. All I can say is Seth is extremely patient with some of the guests and full credit for him for that as I don't think I could have been with this particular apologist. I have never heard such dribble and circular arguments in my life. I was listening to it in my car and seriously I was yelling out things like "You have got to be kidding" at some of his fuzzy logic. Total Facepalm moment. Who else has heard this one? Your opinions would be interesting, but lol yeah I struggled to listen to it all in the end. Just ridiculous circular arguments all the way through.
I listened to this podcast yesterday since I didn't remember it and I definitely missed it when I thought I had listened to them all before. Anyway, there are two things I wanted to comment on:

1) His whole "proof" rests on the premise that you can't know or understand anything without "god". Any time you might try to reason or explain something another way, his answer will be "but how do you have the ability to reason anything in the first place?" Because he has no answer for this, he makes a major leap to "it's given to you by god". He totally overlooks the complete arbitrariness of that leap, the further arbitrariness of leaping to the Christian god specifically, and the fact that his god's ability to reason is just as equally without explanation.

2) He claims that atheists were never true believers because, if you are a true believer then god is your "ultimate authority" regarding knowledge, and then you could never "reason away from believing in god" - presumably because you would continue to trust in god without questioning. I get (as in comprehend) his thinking there which seemed to be a stumbling block for some in the podcast, but it's also ludicrous. Look where blind trust got followers of Jim Jones...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 01:43 AM
(19-02-2013 11:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  2) He claims that atheists were never true believers because, if you are a true believer then god is your "ultimate authority" regarding knowledge, and then you could never "reason away from believing in god" - presumably because you would continue to trust in god without questioning. I get (as in comprehend) his thinking there which seemed to be a stumbling block for some in the podcast, but it's also ludicrous. Look where blind trust got followers of Jim Jones...

Remember kids, don't drink the Kool-Aid... Tongue

[Image: kool+aid.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user