Facepalm moment to share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Facepalm moment to share
This happened about 15 years ago, so no urgency, but I thought people might get a chuckle or shared groan out of it.

I was giving a friend of mine (who will go by M for this post) a lift home from college. At the time M had the critical thinking skills of the average deer (sorry, M, but it's true)... we're out of contact so I don't know if that's true any more, but it was then.

Leaving the college parking lot, we were stopped by an obnoxious traffic signal. (Gasp.) This signal was very badly set up. Even though there was no cross traffic at all, it made us weight about four minutes before turning green. I MIGHT have just run the light after a couple of minutes of NO ONE BEING AROUND, but we weren't in any hurry and no one was behind us... and M was providing some amusement.

You see, M tried to change the light to green with a finger-snap. And then a second, and then a third.

I looked across at M and asked what that was about.

M explained that magic was really a thing, and that someone had been teaching M how to do it. M wasn't that good yet... but maybe good enough to change the light green.

I didn't say anything in response to that. I just cocked my head at M and stared, patiently and intently, as M kept fingersnapping every twenty seconds or so with declarations like "NOW" or "This time" or "aaaand green!" I was so intently watching M that I wasn't even watching the red light any more, and M was clearly getting nervous under my gaze and the performance issues.

While M was babbling that this was a new thing and obviously something M needed more practice with, and without me ever looking away from M or back to the red light, I snapped my fingers, pointed at the light, and it turned green. And then with complete security and confidence and not an ounce of surprise at my success, I turned my attention back to the road and proceeded to drive through that awful intersection.

M watched me in shock. "Wow, you've got a lot of power. You could be a mage."

"Actually," I answered, "I was looking past you at the traffic light that controlled cross traffic. I just waited until it turned yellow, counted out three seconds, then snapped my fingers."

"Oh, so you can't do real magic?"

"And apparently I can't do it better than you can't."

Facepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Reltzik's post
09-08-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: Facepalm moment to share
And this was in the days BEFORE Harry Potter????

The dude must be a real drooler by now....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-08-2016, 10:04 AM
M wasn't just pulling your leg? Gasp

Please say he didn't really believe what he was saying...please. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-08-2016, 10:16 AM
(09-08-2016 10:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  M wasn't just pulling your leg? Gasp

Critical. Thinking. OF A DEER.

Seriously, this was normal for M. .... well, okay, a little bit worse than normal, but still within M's expected range of behavior.
09-08-2016, 10:20 AM
(09-08-2016 10:16 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 10:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  M wasn't just pulling your leg? Gasp

Critical. Thinking. OF A DEER.

I have a vision of him sitting at a broken traffic light that is blinking red, snapping his fingers to the bone, in his attempt to make the light blink green. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Did you give him the alias M for "Man wtf you thinking"?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-08-2016, 11:13 AM
sounds like an entertaining person to hang around.