Facepalming and Pissed Off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 01:55 AM
RE: Facepalming and Pissed Off
(12-12-2014 01:09 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  Yeah they are right, biology has nothing to do with sexual orientation, so their argument is........magic pixie dust and elves in their skull making them be gay?

... Well if it's some *external* thing making them gay then it's wrong to hate them right? So I must assert: 1. they know God's will 2. they willfully choose of themselves (because they are evil) to be gay 3. ??? 4. Therefore it is morally right to hate gay people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-12-2014, 04:22 AM
(11-12-2014 06:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  How did they determine that because some "identical" twins are not both gay means that nobody is born gay? Each embryo will have a somewhat different experience in utero and from what I've read the quantity of different hormones at different times has a link to development of many characteristics. Twins may start off identical but they begin to diverge almost immediately.
You are correct: http://www.livescience.com/24694-identic...tical.html

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Also why would someone choose a lifestyle that is guaranteed to cause an incredible amount of headache and heartache? You are assured to lose family, friends, and even jobs. I never did understand the whole "it's a choice" thing. I can't imagine that so many people would choose that unless it wasn't a choice to begin with.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
12-12-2014, 07:26 AM
(12-12-2014 04:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You are correct: http://www.livescience.com/24694-identic...tical.html

Thanks for finding that.

Even if these morons could prove that the identical twins question showed that SOME people do choose to be homosexual it still wouldn't prove that NOBODY is born gay. No matter how I look at their argument it is just nonsense. Just how far up your ass does your head have to be to be that ignorant?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-12-2014, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 10:56 AM by Impulse.)
Interesting that the billboard doesn't cite the research studies that their claim is supposedly based upon. I too can make things up and create a billboard. Drinking Beverage

Also, what's their point? They failed to say what they really mean which is "now you have justification to hate and discriminate against gays". But, of course, even if the research indicated what they claim it does, it doesn't provide that justification. So they can just fuck right off!

Edit:
Here's a petition to have the board taken down. I just signed it.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
12-12-2014, 09:42 AM
(12-12-2014 07:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Even if these morons could prove that the identical twins question showed that SOME people do choose to be homosexual it still wouldn't prove that NOBODY is born gay. No matter how I look at their argument it is just nonsense. Just how far up your ass does your head have to be to be that ignorant?

In addition, how can they be so sure that the heterosexual ones in each pair aren't just afraid to come out of the closet. Maybe the other twin did first and, when the second twin saw the backlash, he/she kept quiet.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-12-2014, 11:48 AM
(12-12-2014 09:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ... Here's a petition to have the board taken down. I just signed it.

I disagree. To many seeing that board with its underwriters PFOX in giant letters at top and bottom it says "See what giant dicks we are". It'll alienate people against PFOX more than it will persuade anyone sensible to become a bigot. Keeping it up does PFOX more harm than tearing it down.

Moreover, explain the difference between censoring that billboard and Islamists censoring a billboard depicting an image of Mohammed. To my eye there is no difference.

Leave the fools to speak at the top of their voice, it makes it all the easier to know just who the fools are. Without that billboard, I might have given PFOX an ear on something, not knowing anything about them. I won't now, thanks to their own mouth.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
12-12-2014, 12:01 PM
(12-12-2014 11:48 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  I disagree. To many seeing that board with its underwriters PFOX in giant letters at top and bottom it says "See what giant dicks we are". It'll alienate people against PFOX more than it will persuade anyone sensible to become a bigot. Keeping it up does PFOX more harm than tearing it down.

Moreover, explain the difference between censoring that billboard and Islamists censoring a billboard depicting an image of Mohammed. To my eye there is no difference.

Leave the fools to speak at the top of their voice, it makes it all the easier to know just who the fools are. Without that billboard, I might have given PFOX an ear on something, not knowing anything about them. I won't now, thanks to their own mouth.

I get your point, but I disagree. There are those who are educated on the matter and won't be influenced by this board. Then there are the many more who have no clue whether homosexuality is biological or rooted in other origins. Many of those people might be mislead to believe that some research out there actually shows homosexuality is not biological. And some of those may see it as justification for discrimination because too many people don't care that the logic doesn't follow and they see what they want to see - which will be that this information somehow lends justification to their hate.

The ones that look at the billboard and think "nonsense" probably will forget the name "pfox" tomorrow. The ones who buy into it may check out pfox's website to learn more and may be further influenced by their crap.

About free speech, I get that. I considered it before I signed or posted the link to the petition. Then I said "fuck it", I'm using my free speech. No one can make them take the billboard down so their free speech isn't being violated. But, with enough backlash, they might decide to take it down on their own. In any case, the opposing viewpoints should be expressed IMHO.

12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
The billboard is typical of science denialists in they just highlight the data points that are consistent with their point of view and ignore all other data points. In this case the data points they like are the examples of homozygous twins where one is gay and the other twin is not. With that they say "see, you are not born gay since one identical twin is gay and the other isn't". However, as Full Circle has shown with his most excellent link to a proper scientific study, when you look at all the data points (not just the ones you like) the evidence strongly points to a genetic or epigenetic link. We just have to keep debunking this science denial crap.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
12-12-2014, 01:56 PM
How long would it take do do a twin study on intolerance and how much do you figure ad space on the next billboard costs?

I'm betting you could find pretty conclusive evidence that you aren't born a hatred-spewing bigot who cherry-picks their verses from Leviticus. Hatred is a personal choice.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post