Facepalming... at yourself (come on, fess up)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Facepalming... at yourself (come on, fess up)
What things do you look back upon that you did in your theist days that just make you facepalm now?

I have two.

1) After hearing someone rant on about satanic messages supposedly embedded in rock music and how some of those messages could be heard by playing records backwards, I didn't want to take a chance on not knowing which records were "ok" and which weren't. So I broke up and threw out my entire collection - which consisted of well over 100 albums. Sadcryface

2) While perusing a Catholic store in my more woo-filled days, I happened upon a book called The Demonologist - about Ed and Lorraine Warren. Ed was a Catholic ghost/demon hunter and expeller (as I recall, he left the "true" exorcisms to the priests) and Lorraine was a psychic with the ability to have out-of-body experiences. I don't know what possessed me (pun intended Tongue ) to read the book, but I actually believed it - bought it hook, line, and sinker. Rolleyes Even back then neck-deep in woo, the whole psychic and out-of-body thing seemed questionable, but did that make me doubt the whole credibility of these people? No! Just the opposite. Because I believed Ed's side of it (because it made perfect sense in a Catholic context), I had decided Lorraine's psychic abilities must also be true. Facepalm Reading about demons possessing people and Ed's experiences with casting them out , the book scared the crap out of me at the time. Now I look back and just shake my head in disgust. Damn I was gullible around age 20! Weeping

However, I get the last laugh because I see several sites around the internet now debunking these charlatans. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
26-02-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: Facepalming... at yourself (come on, fess up)
Everything I ever said and did when I was aged 13-16.
[+] 3 users Like NoraBrimstone's post
26-02-2014, 12:55 PM
I hated/was scared of gay people.
I continued that until I was about 13 and I met a gay guy and actually got to know him (friend of my mom's). At first I totally ignored him and was a total dick to him, but he was never mean back and pretended like he didn't notice. We ended up becoming good friends after about two weeks and I felt terrible for how I treated him and totally questioned my whole stance on the hatred of gays.
(Yes I later apologized, and no, I don't hate gays anymore)

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
26-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I posted some meme on facebook that said something along the lines of "Atheism- the belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to the nothing and the nothing magically exploded which made dinosaurs".

I look back and think to myself "you dumbass..."

I guess I was lucky. That's about as bad as it ever got.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 4 users Like =jesse='s post
26-02-2014, 01:21 PM
I hate to be smug but I was never, ever a theist so I have no facepalming to do. Girl_nails I have the corner market on other dumb things I've done though and could facepalm all day over those. Facepalm I mean, I cringe over some of the things I've said over the years. Ugh.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
26-02-2014, 01:21 PM
(26-02-2014 12:53 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  Everything I ever said and did when I was aged 13-16.

Pretty much this! I started writing a few specifics and then I realized I'd be here all day if I listed all of them.

Probably the biggest one was when I tried to debate an atheist. I thought I had all the answers and thought I was "winning".

In retrospect, he pretty much trounced me and more than a few things he brought up lead me to re-examine my beliefs.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
26-02-2014, 01:22 PM
(26-02-2014 01:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I hate to be smug but I was never, ever a theist so I have no facepalming to do. Girl_nails I have the corner market on other dumb things I've done though and could facepalm all day over those. Facepalm I mean, I cringe over some of the things I've said over the years. Ugh.

Everyone is allowed to have stupid moments. Just don't abuse the privilege. Smile

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-02-2014, 01:45 PM
(26-02-2014 12:31 PM)Impulse Wrote:  1) After hearing someone rant on about satanic messages supposedly embedded in rock music and how some of those messages could be heard by playing records backwards, I didn't want to take a chance on not knowing which records were "ok" and which weren't. So I broke up and threw out my entire collection - which consisted of well over 100 albums. Sadcryface

Poor records. I died a little inside Sadcryface

I can't say I have many things that would make me facepalm now, I was never that religious.
I think probably the most embarrassing thing for me now is a song we sang at Sunday school, lyrics that glorified Jesus to the melody of Katyusha.

The facepalm would mostly be for the person who decided to put those lyrics to this song.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
26-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Honey - I don't mean to be an ass in your thread but I Facepalm myself in some way for some reason at least once a day - sometimes more.

so........
yeah
Facepalm

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
26-02-2014, 01:58 PM
If you never can facepalm over yourself....youre not living life.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post