Facepalming... at yourself (come on, fess up)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Facepalming... at yourself (come on, fess up)
(26-02-2014 12:31 PM)Impulse Wrote:  What things do you look back upon that you did in your theist days that just make you facepalm now?

I have two.

1) After hearing someone rant on about satanic messages supposedly embedded in rock music and how some of those messages could be heard by playing records backwards, I didn't want to take a chance on not knowing which records were "ok" and which weren't. So I broke up and threw out my entire collection - which consisted of well over 100 albums. Sadcryface

2) While perusing a Catholic store in my more woo-filled days, I happened upon a book called The Demonologist - about Ed and Lorraine Warren. Ed was a Catholic ghost/demon hunter and expeller (as I recall, he left the "true" exorcisms to the priests) and Lorraine was a psychic with the ability to have out-of-body experiences. I don't know what possessed me (pun intended Tongue ) to read the book, but I actually believed it - bought it hook, line, and sinker. Rolleyes Even back then neck-deep in woo, the whole psychic and out-of-body thing seemed questionable, but did that make me doubt the whole credibility of these people? No! Just the opposite. Because I believed Ed's side of it (because it made perfect sense in a Catholic context), I had decided Lorraine's psychic abilities must also be true. Facepalm Reading about demons possessing people and Ed's experiences with casting them out , the book scared the crap out of me at the time. Now I look back and just shake my head in disgust. Damn I was gullible around age 20! Weeping

However, I get the last laugh because I see several sites around the internet now debunking these charlatans. Smile

On #1- did you call in on the podcast about that before? I feel like I heard about this before!

For myself, I'm pretty sure everybody face palms about any prosyletising they did as theists, so I'll skip that.

Sometimes jokes and references go over my head and I have to ask about what they mean. I used to laugh along (when I was a teen and much more embarrassed about my ignorance because of the sheltered life I'd had), but I've come to accept that there are things I'm ignorant about and I'd rather figure out what I'm missing than be missing out on it for forever. So here come the facepalms! Because usually it's either something I should have gotten and had a brainfart OR it's something so asinine I wish I hadn't asked. On rare occasions I actually learn something. Facepalm

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 09:09 PM by TheGulegon.)
(26-02-2014 01:58 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If you never can facepalm over yourself....youre not living life.

Like if your baby is born with Orc tusks? Tongue You know... because you're a hobbit... is this mike on...

I'm with WitchSabrina Undecided
I write shit down so I won't have to remember. I've taped a message on the bathroom door written on yellow paper in blue sharpie so it'll stand out against the white door..... then I walk right by it!
Obviously the note hasn't changed when I get home & finally find it where I left it. But in my mind it reads, "Hey! Remember me? You forget? Again? Asshole Dodgy "
Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Bible study. When Christians who have spent their morning in church waste another 2 hours of a perfectly good Sunday afternoon arguing about what the passage really means. When I think about the shit we would argue about I know I deserve to die slowly.
26-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Raise Mormon, there's one in-and-of itself.

1) Seminary. Four years of that crap, 1.5 hours every other day. Ended up "graduating" from it to appease my parents and keep the bishop off my back. I wish I hadn't wasted the time, because I could have gone a lot further academically than I did had I just been honest with myself after I mentally left the faith midway through.

2) Scouts. The Boy Scout program wasn't all bad, or a complete waste of time since I learned quite a bit early on. The problem with it, though, is how the LDS church runs (and thereby poisons) every last bit of it. The LDS Church's influence on it turned me off from completing my Eagle, which to this day I wish I had done. It's a big deal with employers around here. Funny thing about the anti-gay stance, one of my early scout leaders ended up going full blown transgender, and I suspect a couple of others were closeted. It seemed to me a place where closeted homosexuals were commonly called to serve. If I ever have a son, he won't be going into that program until their position regarding LGBT individuals is changed.

3) Young Mens. The Young Mens program was very nearly a complete waste of time, looking back on it. Must be why I ditched it so much when I was able to drive. One nice thing to say about it, though, is that we did a lot of community service. I also had a couple of leaders that really influenced my life for the better. Though, by and large the time spent there was just Church nonsense, including the "dance" events they held and the "maturation" program they did where we learned how to date "properly". Those are the biggest facepalm worthy events of all for me church-wise.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
27-02-2014, 12:10 AM
(26-02-2014 12:31 PM)Impulse Wrote:  What things do you look back upon that you did in your theist days that just make you facepalm now?

I have two.

1) After hearing someone rant on about satanic messages supposedly embedded in rock music and how some of those messages could be heard by playing records backwards, I didn't want to take a chance on not knowing which records were "ok" and which weren't. So I broke up and threw out my entire collection - which consisted of well over 100 albums. Sadcryface

2) While perusing a Catholic store in my more woo-filled days, I happened upon a book called The Demonologist - about Ed and Lorraine Warren. Ed was a Catholic ghost/demon hunter and expeller (as I recall, he left the "true" exorcisms to the priests) and Lorraine was a psychic with the ability to have out-of-body experiences. I don't know what possessed me (pun intended Tongue ) to read the book, but I actually believed it - bought it hook, line, and sinker. Rolleyes Even back then neck-deep in woo, the whole psychic and out-of-body thing seemed questionable, but did that make me doubt the whole credibility of these people? No! Just the opposite. Because I believed Ed's side of it (because it made perfect sense in a Catholic context), I had decided Lorraine's psychic abilities must also be true. Facepalm Reading about demons possessing people and Ed's experiences with casting them out , the book scared the crap out of me at the time. Now I look back and just shake my head in disgust. Damn I was gullible around age 20! Weeping

However, I get the last laugh because I see several sites around the internet now debunking these charlatans. Smile

I was never 100% in. I checked out the Mormons because they were hardcore. They lived it 24/7 not just apologising on Sundays ... but ... I was branch clerk, I had to sit in on meetings were people talked about their sexual 'problems'. Listening to the men explaining they can't leave it alone was bad enough but I used to get really embarrassed when the girls talked about it. ... There was one lady who was a biggun! I have no problem with peoples weight but this one smelt like she bathed in a fucking chip pan. She had this horrible nasally way of breathing and was clammy. I think she had a heart attack a few years after I left ... Anyway, she referred to her lady parts as her 'muffin' at one point in the conversation. I couldn't believe my ears. Neither could the bishop! ... Anyway, a few weeks later in church, one of the new people was asking about her. The new lady couldn't remember her name and for the life of me neither could I. I popped my head in to the Bishop's office and asked, 'The new lady is asking about what's her name, you know? Thingy? Sweaty Muffin?' ... The bishop said 'oh, you mean *****' ... 'yeah ***** that's it! Have you seen her?'

Then I hear this nasally, angry voice behind me.
'I'm here.'

Facepalm

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
27-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Oh hell, I still facepalm myself. If you don't, you're probably letting your ego get in the way of your learning.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
27-02-2014, 12:42 AM

I am immune from your self-shaming! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-02-2014, 12:49 AM
(27-02-2014 12:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I am immune from your self-shaming! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

....I can't help but wonder who your avatar is face palming. Bowing

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
27-02-2014, 12:59 AM
(27-02-2014 12:49 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I am immune from your self-shaming! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

....I can't help but wonder who your avatar is face palming. Bowing

You got me there.

You sly toad, you.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Whenever something didn't make logic sense to me in the bible, like how someone killed for me meant that the sins of man were somehow forgiven and erased, I would always assume it's because I was too stupid to understand it.

Everyone who told me that, said it with so much conviction, that I assumed it made logic sense to them . While my eyebrow would furrow while I tried to understand, I was almost too embarrassed to ask questions for fear that I would reveal that: 1) I didn't get it and I was dumb for not getting it; and 2) everyone would know that I was dumb and didn't get it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post