Facial symmetry and genetic health

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Facial symmetry and genetic health
Research has shown that people across all cultures prefer people with symmetrical faces. People with even faces are considered beautiful, while those with uneven faces are considered average (or ugly). Some scientists have suggested that this symmetry speaks to healthier genes because people with beautiful faces were able to resist childhood ailments that would have affected their growth rate. I, unfortunately, do not belong to the beautiful people club. I was born a preemie and suffered several maladies growing up. It turns out that my face is not symmetrical. Here is a picture of me that I took outside of my apartment:

[Image: 8i9e.png]

I isolated my face from by background:

[Image: 5g4r.png]

Here are both halves matched up with their twins (left with left and right with right). Granted, the light source wasn't even, but you can still see a slight difference. For instance, the bridge of my nose looks thicker on the right side because it is not perfectly straight. The right side of my head is apparently rounder, too.

[Image: godf.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2013, 02:57 PM
RE: Facial symmetry and genetic health
Nobody is perfectly symmetrical, you're pretty close though

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Uh... that's just a poll right? Is someone saying that there is some strange genetic data about attraction? You got some 'splainin' to do ... Dodgy

Cause, I've noticed that I like and am quite attracted to people who's faces are not symmetrical. I find asymmetry in a lot of things very attractive. Many people do. I also think attraction has a lot more to do with "the whole package"... at least from this female's perspective.
(and uh... females are the one's making babies for the species so... maybe more 'splainin' about who wears the genetic pants here?)

And besides, we perceive many things to be symmetrical when they are actually not... our brain just makes us think they are. Our brain visually makes up for a lot of things.

Note this guy's deviated septum... poor ugly sot, he's real particular about the angles he's photographed so it was difficult to find this photo. He may have had that corrected by now.
[Image: redford.jpg]
I'd tap that. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Besides symmetry, smiling also helps in being attractive...