Facilitated Communication

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 01:24 AM by dancefortwo.)
Facilitated Communication
I thought Facilitated Communication died out years ago after PBS Frontline did a scathing report on it. But no. It's still around and now trying to be pushed into the public school system. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...ities.html

This is horrifying because this is absolute BS and it feeds on the hopes of people wanting to communicate with their children and loved ones. It's been debunked so many times and one can see it's bogus just by a five minute view of the video below. It's taken on an almost cult following. I believe Sweden banned it's use.

For those of you who may not know what this is here's a short intro to the Frontline report. It's like 20 years old so a somewhat faded film.

Edit: I wanted to add the section of the Frontline program that demonstrated how FC was proven to be false with a simple experiment.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-11-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: Facilitated Communication
Detailed critique with links HERE

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
26-11-2015, 11:16 AM
And caregivers use facilitated communication as proof of consensual sexual relationships. Just awful.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ex...-1.2387515

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
26-11-2015, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2015 12:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
Looks like some sorta Ouija board shit. Or maybe Reiki. And when I first saw the title of this thread I read "Failed Circumcision".

#sigh
26-11-2015, 01:35 PM
(26-11-2015 11:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like some sorta Ouija board shit. Or maybe Reiki. And when I first saw the title of this thread I read "Failed Circumcision".

Girly? Really? "Failed Circumcision?" Laughat Laugh out loadLaugh out load

The sad part is that there are those with influence who are trying to incorporate this shit into the public school system as a way to help autistic kids communicate. It's more of a belief system than anything else. There's no science behind it at all.

27-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Wow, that looks horrible! I really hope people take up a stance against such practices.

[Image: 004.sig]
27-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Another test might be to pair British facilitators with American children and vice versa. If the American children start using words like "pavement" instead of "sidewalk" etc...and that's one of the more obvious differences. "Harbour" vs "Harbor", "courgette" vs "zuchinni". The list goes on and on...
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
27-11-2015, 04:28 PM
(27-11-2015 04:05 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Another test might be to pair British facilitators with American children and vice versa. If the American children start using words like "pavement" instead of "sidewalk" etc...and that's one of the more obvious differences. "Harbour" vs "Harbor", "courgette" vs "zuchinni". The list goes on and on...

Very good idea. The thing is, some of the kids being helped aren't even looking at the keyboard. They're looking around the room or up at the ceiling while the person holding their hand is guiding their hands to the keys to spell the words. There's no possible way that these children are actually typing these words. I couldn't do it without looking at the keyboard or having a home reference point for my hands while my fingers type on the board.

In the film they did a double blind study which clearly shows it to be more of a belief system than anything else.

27-11-2015, 05:32 PM
(27-11-2015 04:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Very good idea. The thing is, some of the kids being helped aren't even looking at the keyboard. They're looking around the room or up at the ceiling while the person holding their hand is guiding their hands to the keys to spell the words. There's no possible way that these children are actually typing these words. I couldn't do it without looking at the keyboard or having a home reference point for my hands while my fingers type on the board.

In the film they did a double blind study which clearly shows it to be more of a belief system than anything else.

Yeah, I've seen films like this for years and could never understand how they thought the kids were producing these results. i can't not look at the keyboard and I've been writing programs, emails etc since 1968. Sometimes, I look at the screen and see I've been typing capitals (which idiot put the Caps lock key - a key you hardly ever use - next to one you use all the time?). So backspace and retype.
27-11-2015, 05:34 PM
(26-11-2015 01:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-11-2015 11:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like some sorta Ouija board shit. Or maybe Reiki. And when I first saw the title of this thread I read "Failed Circumcision".

Girly? Really? "Failed Circumcision?" Laughat Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Let us never speak of this again.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post