Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Facing Death, Christopher Hitchens Affirms Atheism
U.S.
|Mon, Apr. 25 2011
By Ethan Cole|Christian Post Reporter

Christopher Hitchens disclosed to his atheist comrades on Friday that he has now lost his voice to esophageal cancer but his atheistic beliefs remain stronger than ever.
(Full Article)

There's only one other article I found relating this latest news about CH and it's so degrading to Hitch that it's not worth sharing.

Damn! I was so hoping he'd beat this thing. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 08:46 PM
RE: Facing Death, Christopher Hitchens Affirms Atheism
(25-04-2011 08:39 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  U.S.
|Mon, Apr. 25 2011
By Ethan Cole|Christian Post Reporter

Christopher Hitchens disclosed to his atheist comrades on Friday that he has now lost his voice to esophageal cancer but his atheistic beliefs remain stronger than ever.
(Full Article)

There's only one other article I found relating this latest news about CH and it's so degrading to Hitch that it's not worth sharing.

Damn! I was so hoping he'd beat this thing. Sad

So sad, but I am happy that he is accepting his fate.

"Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely."
Buddha

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 08:53 PM
That's sad, but I'm glad that he's able to hold true to his beliefs in such horrible circumstances. That really says a lot about him, a truly brave man. Is there anything we do can do to show our support? He talked about carrying on the secular revolution, but is there any organized support going on(arm bands, day of silence, ect?...)

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2011, 09:18 PM

I have not heard of anything relating to support for CH's secular revolution. But that doesn't mean there's not something out there. Wink

I did find this, while trying to see if there was however.

Hitchens' address to American Atheists
April 22, 2011 by PZ Myers
Christopher Hitchens was scheduled to appear at the American Atheist convention, but had to cancel because of his illness. He sent this letter instead. (Continues)
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I didn't find anything either, though I found this little bit in th comments section(thankfully flame-free).
Botswana Skeptic Wrote:Neither a prayer nor a salute. He'd want us to do what I'm about to do: fetch myself a generous dose of malt whisky and raise it to him.

It's sad, but I have to say, I feel a lot better about it all knowing he's not expecting to go to some magical happy place. He knows what death is and he's accepting it as what it is. It always leaves a foul taste in my mouth when someone says loved one X is in a better place, or dying person Y says he'll be with God soon. Not that I would ever take that comfort away from them, it's always sad to see someone have to fall into delusion during the last moments of life. I have to commend The Hitch for his bravery with it all.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
[+] 1 user Likes ashley.hunt60's post
25-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Crap, this sucks.. I was hoping he would make it through or at least keep going for a while longer.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-04-2011, 11:44 PM
We will all be there at our own times. Living a good life is what is important, and from what I can tell, he did that. To fight for a cause you find worthy. He did that. To try to make the world a better place for everyone. He did that. To have immense courage and dedication. He had those.
May at least one of us have a legacy to follow up his, not to surpass, but to continue.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't like Christopher Hitchens (as meaningful as that is to say about another person one has never met). But I'm smart enough to know that many people here do. So I'm not here to shit on the man. I know that losing heroes can be difficult, so I do want to offer my heart felt condolences to anyone who is feeling his impending loss. Straight up. I did want to talk a little about the process of death. I debated in my head how to approach it for some time, but I realised that Hitchens isn't precious about it, so I won't be.

I just feel that faith isn't restricted to Theists. When all is said and done, none of us really know anything. I mean truly. George EP Box once said, and I live by this, that all models are wrong, but some are useful. Theists have faith in revelation. Crap on revelation all you want, Lord knows it has its limitations, but I see the faith they feel manifest itself in such strength. It's a strength that provides courage in the face of the end. I don't know that I believe in Heaven. I just don't know. That's me. But I never encountered the idea that Christians are racing to the afterlife before I came here. I always viewed it as simply the reward for doing God's work while on Earth. Anyhoo, I think some people see faith as a weakness because of its source, revelation. But I've always seen it as strength. The source of faith is not fear. Faith conquers fear.

I see that same strength in Christopher Hitchens. As much as I dislike the guy for his beliefs, I have to recognise the courage he has displayed in facing his own death because it is undeniable. This man, an Atheist, doesn't have faith in revelation, but in reason. In the end, who knows. Maybe he's wrong. But that is irrelevant. The faith he has in reason gives him strength in the face of the end. It gives strength and courage to the people around him. Those that share his faith in reason and those that have faith in him. I know that many people just view faith as belief in the unprovable, but I see it differently. I see it as the strength of one's convictions. Not in the face of evidence, and not without evidence, but in the strength of one's convictions, whatever they might be. I think that it's glorious.

I'm not trying to take the wind out of the man's sails and pour salt into some crotchety argument, I just wanted to point out that whatever people's problems with revelation, I think that faith is a sublime source of strength and courage. I hope that Christopher Hitchens and anyone who cares for him or his work can take some time to drink deeply from that source.

I hope I can show half of his bravery when my time comes.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Hitchens gets my respect, not as an atheist but as a humanist after the "voluntary waterboarding".

When you die as a "public" person, the writings and media you leave behind start to live a life of their own. When, after you, the last living witness dies as well, your writings become even more the subject of speculation.

In that sense the "jedi" where right...

When you are death, you become more powerful then you can imagine.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-04-2011, 01:00 AM
(26-04-2011 12:22 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Faith conquers fear.

That is the both the biggest strength and the biggest problem with faith. Without intellegent decision making, faith is a loose cannon.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.