Fact: Your employment in the United States is protected by law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Fact: Your employment in the United States is protected by law
http://theunconverted.com/fact-your-empl...ed-by-law/

True story. Please share accordingly.

Never knew I'd get so much out of a four-hour corporate management seminar.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
RE: Fact: Your employment in the United States is protected by law
This is true, but you have to prove that you were wrongfully fired for being an atheist.
That's not so easy, but there is an angle. If you can get your case past summery judgment, meaning that a judge believes that you have a case good enough to waste the courts time, the employer now has to hire trial attorneys. These guys are expensive. Their "behind the desk attorney" will typically try to settle. Now it's about how much money. Be sure you find an attorney that specializes in employment law. Don't try this on your own. Go straight to an attorney if you think you've been screwed. Accept and sign nothing from the past employer until you talk to an attorney.
Disclaimer: I'm not giving legal advice other than call an attorney.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
12-05-2012, 09:44 PM
These rights of protection sound great on paper, but as Thomas says generally don't get very far in actually contesting being fired. There's all sorts of bullshit reasons to fire someone if you want to get rid of them.

Listen to Thomas, you have to be really careful in these situations.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
(12-05-2012 09:44 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  These rights of protection sound great on paper, but as Thomas says generally don't get very far in actually contesting being fired. There's all sorts of bullshit reasons to fire someone if you want to get rid of them.

After sitting through four hours of examples (not of atheism but of other religious discrimination) I can assure you that it's much easier than you think.

That one of the reasons I'm sharing this. The idea that it's hard to make a stand is a fallacy. It's just a matter of knowing how the system works and preparing your documentation accordingly.

I am the unconverted
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
(12-05-2012 09:47 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 09:44 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  These rights of protection sound great on paper, but as Thomas says generally don't get very far in actually contesting being fired. There's all sorts of bullshit reasons to fire someone if you want to get rid of them.

After sitting through four hours of examples (not of atheism but of other religious discrimination) I can assure you that it's much easier than you think.

That one of the reasons I'm sharing this. The idea that it's hard to make a stand is a fallacy. It's just a matter of knowing how the system works and preparing your documentation accordingly.

Did they share the examples of the cases that never made it to a settlement or just the winners?
I went through all of the training for sexual harrassment, age descrimination, race descrimination, etc. The trainers want to scare you with what could happen if you're stupid.
Always go straight to an attorney who does this type of work. They will let you know right away if you have a case.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
13-05-2012, 01:19 PM
(12-05-2012 10:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 09:47 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  After sitting through four hours of examples (not of atheism but of other religious discrimination) I can assure you that it's much easier than you think.

Did they share the examples of the cases that never made it to a settlement or just the winners?
I went through all of the training for sexual harrassment, age descrimination, race descrimination, etc. The trainers want to scare you with what could happen if you're stupid.
Always go straight to an attorney who does this type of work. They will let you know right away if you have a case.
The shared EEOC data on the percentage of cases brought to the table and the percentage that stuck.

Interestingly, religious discrimination is one of the lowest used rationales for bringing forth a case to the EEOC. Probably because many people are under the mistaken assumption that nothing will come of it.

I am the unconverted
13-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Never been fired for things like that, but I can say that when I was denied a slight position advancement (team leader--corporate interviewed me for plant manager, local plant won't even make me leader of 5 people), I asked for a reason on paper because I didn't believe their BS reason they gave.... they "refused".

Others had been terminated for reasons (they were injured at work), company falsified records, employee knew they had screwed over people before, and kept EVERYTHING and even had documentation that items were sent when needed.

Companies will alter and falsify things... you definately need proof and backing. Good employee reviews? They mean nothing unless you have copies, a file can "accidentally fall into the shredder".
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post