Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Failing Language Arts... Help me...
Today in Grade 9 L.A class,

There was this question

"their head salesman was a shark"
figurative device: Metaphor
Meaning: (I decided to try something new) Nice and shy, because sharks generally don't hurt and avoid people. Dogs kill more people than sharks.
(didn't write this, but should of, I learned this from geographic channel, and majority opinions is the correct answer ? What about other worldview like mine about sharks ?

Do you guys think, if keep on doing this, I will end up failing class ? This is like my 1st time answering more scientifically, hate metaphorical.

I think next time, I'm going to say, it depends what kind of shark, like those small gentle sharks, or those big sharks. Being more Specific and having it Scientifically answered.

L.A(B's) feel's like a biased class now, no wonder why I failed it, and pass Science(A's), Math(A's).

I think we should change the L.A program now.

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 05:58 PM

RE: Failing Language Arts... Help me...
I think you're being a bit... extreme. Why post scientific things like that when the point of the question is obvious? Unless you're trying to piss your teacher off and fail. In which case, you're not trying hard enough.

Instead, answer with, "Because he bites his mate before having intercourse"
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
(02-03-2011 05:58 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  I think you're being a bit... extreme. Why post scientific things like that when the point of the question is obvious? Unless you're trying to piss your teacher off and fail. In which case, you're not trying hard enough.

Instead, answer with, "Because he bites his mate before having intercourse"

Follow the first bit, laugh at the second. Big Grin

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Well to be honest, It's like we are subjected that there is only 1 answer. This kind of destroys creativity. I mean if kids watch cartoons that sharks were good and fish were evil. There is a conflicting worldview and answer with that.

The Answer is not really obvious, Robots and some people who take this world literally or don't know what your talking about, and having a difficult time knowing it's some kind of figurative devices.

How do you know sharks are bad ? I mean the Epaulette shark is the most common household shark pet. People may like them a lot, you know. The Nurse Shark never attack human. Some divers can swim with the nurse shark and not get hurt. Sharks can be gentle creatures which mean the sales guy can be gentle ?

I can't take this biased education, answers based on opinions....

02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
L.A. That means Language Arts. If you take everything literally, you may as well remove the art all together. I must say, it sounds to me like you're just trying to be argumentative. Now don't get me wrong here. You're in grade nine. It wouldn't be normal if you weren't challenging authority, but this is a case of "pick your battles." This shouldn't even be a battle, let alone one that you choose to fight.
You know darn well what is meant by "shark" in this case, and it's meaning is not an affront to sharks. Besides, by calling a salesman a shark, it's saying they are crafty, successful salesmen. Crafty and successful are compliments in my book!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
In Language Arts, as long as you supply an answer that you can defend, nobody can tell you that you are wrong. It is all subjective, the only time it is objective is formatting, specific rubrics, shit like that, otherwise you maintain creative freedom, at least, in the U.S. you do, I'm not sure about Canada. Btw, I wrote "I predict that the Nick Carraway will have a wild dream about Gatsby and pursue him sexually of the course of the rest of the novel, not knowing that Gatsby is a closet homosexual who will sooner die than come out of the closet, which might foreshadow Gatsby's death" and my teacher could not question it because Nick sounds like a raging homosexual lol. I also got Gatsby's death right too >.<
I BS my way throught Comm. Arts (Language Arts) and get an A. Just be smart about it.
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM

(02-03-2011 05:50 PM)Laxion Wrote:  Today in Grade 9 L.A class,

There was this question

"their head salesman was a shark"
figurative device: Metaphor
Meaning: (I decided to try something new) Nice and shy, because sharks generally don't hurt and avoid people. Dogs kill more people than sharks.
(didn't write this, but should of, I learned this from geographic channel, and majority opinions is the correct answer ? What about other worldview like mine about sharks ?

Do you guys think, if keep on doing this, I will end up failing class ? This is like my 1st time answering more scientifically, hate metaphorical.

I think next time, I'm going to say, it depends what kind of shark, like those small gentle sharks, or those big sharks. Being more Specific and having it Scientifically answered.

L.A(B's) feel's like a biased class now, no wonder why I failed it, and pass Science(A's), Math(A's).

I think we should change the L.A program now.

Well look at it this way. It could be worse, your metaphorical opinion regarding real sharks in relative comparison. You could have a Feminist professor and the metaphorical sentence could have read:
"their head salesman was a praying mantis."

I'll let that set as is so as to allow those who know to take the inference. While you may want to await a new installment on Discovery Science channel. Tongue
In all seriousness, if your failing language arts how do you think a forum full of smart ass strangers is going to guide you through? Take it seriously, if you have to and ask for a tutor or a guidance councilor in your school to help you figure it all out. If it's an elective class, you may want to consider waiting until you're more versed in allegory and metaphor before investing in something it sounds like you're taking out of context already.

Hint: Sharks compared to salesmen relate in that a good salesman smells blood (profit, perks, percentages) and doesn't stop until he's fed. Just like Sharks. Sharks feed on movement and track vibration and are drawn to blood because blood in the water means weakness stands to profit their appetite.
However, as one who has swam in open water with sharks, I'll tell you that it's the swimmers energy that very often affects the sharks temperament. That goes for the salesman and his contemporary opposite the client as well.
Shark/victim/prey
salesman/product/client

It's a relationship communicated through the eyes and the energies one sends to the other. If you can't swim best not to get into the deep water just yet.

Good luck.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice replies, but the answers the teacher accepted was the salesman is deadly, fearful, dangerous. Well Those were the answers some people suggested that were consider right....

GassyKitten There are no council in this school, that's in high school. At least I think there are none in Jr.high. I don't really get it, it is suppose to be called middle school, oh well.. Probably same thing.

TheKetola Thanks, I think I'm going to write a very descriptive scientific answer, and be as unbiased as possible. Then only to fail it, wish me luck on my L.A test next monday. I don't really understand deeper meaning in texts, usually the scientific meaning.

Stark Raving Hm... yeah your right, I was being argumentative. Oh well, I just gotta learn how to write good Essays, and scientific stuff. Maybe story too which I probably won't do it. I don't like reading anymore, I found no joy in it, usually find more joy reading scientific entries and journals.

I don't really like metaphorical questions a lot, might as well fail that aspect of L.A