Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???
Fairly new to really digging deep and finding religion coming up short for answers (I have a previous post that explains more if there's a way to see that..)

So my Facebook is still full of "good Christians" and heartfelt posts today of course regarding Billy Graham.

Just having a hard time today, like, is there something I missed??? Something FOR Christianity I've dismissed that would actually make it all "work"?

Why I am I such a minority among my (online) friends to have "figured it out"? Something about being such a minority makes me feel like I'm wrong, that I've overlooked something. Does that make sense?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tjo252810's post
21-02-2018, 11:30 PM
RE: Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???
Hi welcome Smile

I think it makes sense re: how you feel. When Christianity is your world it can be really hard to separate from all of that. There is a lot of brainwashing involved in religion. If you look up characteristics of cult mentality, christianity hits almost every single characteristic. That's why your friends and family believe.

Society and culture shaped their worldview. When people don't know anything else, when they were raised to believe a certain way, conditioned to believe a certain way, that often becomes their default setting.

Additionally, not everyone has a desire to stop believing, not everyone has a desire to look behind the curtain, or worse, they're too scared to due to hell brainwashed fears. Also, change of any kind is scary for some people. Losing identity in the form of religion is scary for some people. Potentially losing friends and family due to lack of belief is scary for some people. And don't forget, there are probably many people who also don't believe, but who are just not vocal about it.

Hope some of this helps! Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
22-02-2018, 12:01 AM
Yup, makes sense even if you were never religious. At least for people who grew up in deeply religious homes, surrounded by religion their whole lives thinking they were the only one's in the world who lacked belief. What you're saying would still make sense.

Well if you're looking for friends who won't shove god down your throat you've come to a good place. Welcome!

...Ok I lied.... and now for the pitch...
[Image: religious+diversity+hear+the+word+of+sauron.jpg]

what... were you expecting jesus or something?

For real, if you ever need to talk, I think this is a good place. There are people here that will listen.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
22-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Hi, welcome Smile

No, you didn't miss anything. It's all silly fairy tales, and horrific ones at that.

People make it work by making it up. Since none of it is real, they can chop and change parts of it to try and make an ad-hoc explanation for anything. It doesn't matter if these explanations end up contradicting each other, or god's supposed attributes change every time, because they're never put to the test. They exist and morph just within the Christian's mind. Same with all religions.

Even if it made sense, would you want to be a part of it? I certainly wouldn't. The whole thing is vile.

This video explains what is really happening.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
22-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Thank you for the replies, time for bed now but I'll read and respond more tomorrow.

One day I'll contribute more to these forums. For now I'm a sporadic "taker" so thank you for putting up with that :/
[+] 2 users Like tjo252810's post
22-02-2018, 01:55 AM
No. There is nothing to be missed, christianity is just pile of shit forced upon children through indoctrination and then upheld by - among other things - peer pressure, guilt and lack of intellectual curiosity. It maybe that you were indoctrinated less severely or gave it more thought.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-02-2018, 08:05 AM
(21-02-2018 11:12 PM)tjo252810 Wrote:  Just having a hard time today, like, is there something I missed??? Something FOR Christianity I've dismissed that would actually make it all "work"?

Why I am I such a minority among my (online) friends to have "figured it out"? Something about being such a minority makes me feel like I'm wrong, that I've overlooked something. Does that make sense?

This is more the section of the forum for empathic support than debating theism/atheism, but I do feel my own personal experience is apt...

I was raised Lutheran and was so for around 30 years. I haven't believed for the last seven years. I went through about a two-year part of my life where my doubts increased. I wanted to believe, and I tried. I found I couldn't just make myself believe; it had to make sense. That for me was the thing I could never do. I could never approach it from any angle that made sense if I started peeling the layers back. It seemed like the best I could do was build up this elaborate house of cards that worked if I never actually touched it or let anyone else near it. After yet another attempt at selectively interpreting this part of the Bible and taking that part as literal, I remember thinking "why am I so intent on following a religion I'm clearly making up as I go?"

After about a year-and-a-half of that, I got to a point where I was pretty sure I didn't believe, but I was still worried about hell (as weird as that sounds). I kept wondering if I was failing some test. It took six months or so to be able to just comfortably let it go and admit to myself that I didn't believe anymore. I'm glad I did. I'm free of all that baggage. Not only do I not have to try and get it to make sense, I don't have to be in the head space of defending why God would cause or allow horrible, incurable childhood diseases like Tay Sachs. I don't have to question why evil is allowed. I don't have to wonder why the Bible is so vague in parts and why it overtly says things that many Christians claim are context-dependent or metaphorical.

As much as you can wonder if you're missing something to get it to "work", I'm asserting they're missing some genuine introspection that would reveal to them it doesn't work.

Anyway, that's my two cents. However you choose to go about tackling this, remember to always be honest with yourself.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Any shift in mindset is going to feel uncomfortable at first.

It's like you've been in this warm bath of religious certainty all your life, but now you've gotten out of that bath: of course, you'll feel cold at first, but eventually, you'll dry off, get dressed and leave the bathroom altogether.
We're here to be the towel, as it were.
Good luck Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
22-02-2018, 01:25 PM
(21-02-2018 11:12 PM)tjo252810 Wrote:  Fairly new to really digging deep and finding religion coming up short for answers (I have a previous post that explains more if there's a way to see that..)

So my Facebook is still full of "good Christians" and heartfelt posts today of course regarding Billy Graham.

Just having a hard time today, like, is there something I missed??? Something FOR Christianity I've dismissed that would actually make it all "work"?

Sometimes the indoctrination just doesn't "stick". It didn't with me, even though they had me convinced that I believed when I was a kid, I came to realize later on that I never believed; I just didn't know how to articulate the alternative -- or that there was an alternative -- before I grew up some.

Many of my peers were not so lucky. Christians -- and Catholics in particular -- are really, really good at indoctrination.
It can take some work to get over it.

As to Billy Graham, I'll say this for him: he made tasty crackers.

Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
22-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Did you miss something ?
Consider

26 dead in Texas church.
50,000 children dead in Yemen in 2017 from starvation and disease.
How many "prayers" were answered to save anyone from the hurricanes last year ?
How many children died from cancer last year ?
https://curesearch.org/Childhood-Cancer-Deaths-Per-Year

Did you miss something ?
Ummm. no.
What we observe is exactly what one would expect to see, if there were no gods.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post