Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2018, 01:55 PM
RE: Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???
(22-02-2018 01:25 PM)Dr H Wrote:  As to Billy Graham, I'll say this for him: he made tasty crackers.

I always enjoyed his smores.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Fairly new to "non-belief", did I miss something???
You just saved ten percent by switching to atheism. Congratulations.
22-02-2018, 06:30 PM
You didn't miss anything. Your religious friends are wearing the emperor's clothes, and don't they look silly.

Regarding Billy Graham, there's a thread here about his "legacy," feel free to check it out.
23-02-2018, 11:13 AM
It just continues to catch me off guard... I think I've settled my mind about all this (at least RE: the Bible and religions) to at least say I'm comfortably agnostic. It's just hard to see so many people so convinced of something, like, surely they've examined this and dug into it / tested it as I have right? Probably not. Maybe? I don't know.

But if I'm "right", these 100 of my friends are wrong. That's uncomfortable.

The sheer numbers of it all make it difficult to be a "black sheep".
[+] 2 users Like tjo252810's post
23-02-2018, 11:41 AM
(23-02-2018 11:13 AM)tjo252810 Wrote:  It just continues to catch me off guard... I think I've settled my mind about all this (at least RE: the Bible and religions) to at least say I'm comfortably agnostic. It's just hard to see so many people so convinced of something, like, surely they've examined this and dug into it / tested it as I have right? Probably not. Maybe? I don't know.

But if I'm "right", these 100 of my friends are wrong. That's uncomfortable.

It's easy to do; especially when a majority of society believes the same as you.

I don't consider myself a dumb person, yet for several years, I made some really bad arguments in favor of Christianity. For these seven years that it didn't make any sense to me, there were several decades where large, it did.

Christianity is set up in such a way that makes it hard for believers to walk away. As absurd as it sounds, I was scared of hell for something like six months after I stopped believing in God, because I was afraid I was failing some sort of test. Most of those hundred friends will never be comfortable honestly confronting their deeply held belief system. I sure as hell wasn't.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-02-2018, 11:49 AM
I understand, it must be a very strange feeling. Yes, they're all wrong. At least, they believe in things that have no credible evidence behind them. The evidence is the important part, not how many people believe something. For 2,000 years Christians have been desperate to come up with some evidence, and they have nothing. No evidence, just (flawed) logical arguments, ignorance and emotional manipulation.

Even if they did have evidence, all that means is they are worshipping a tyrant maniac in the hopes that it will grant them riches beyond the grave. Why they are proud of that, I don't know. Just self-preservation I guess, bowing down to the most powerful thing around. It's just sad that it's not even a real monster they are wasting their time and efforts on.

Remember, Christians and Muslims can't both be right, due to the contradictory nature of their claims. So millions of people are wrong, even if we pretend there's any reason to think there's any truth to either of them.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
23-02-2018, 12:05 PM
(23-02-2018 11:13 AM)tjo252810 Wrote:  It just continues to catch me off guard... I think I've settled my mind about all this (at least RE: the Bible and religions) to at least say I'm comfortably agnostic. It's just hard to see so many people so convinced of something, like, surely they've examined this and dug into it / tested it as I have right? Probably not. Maybe? I don't know.

You seem to assume that people actually know something about religion they were indoctrinated to believe in but that may be far from the truth. Consider Poland example - about 90% of Poles are catholics (allegedly) - 33% of them believes in reincarnation, 27% don't believe in immortal soul, 30% in heaven and 32% in being born with original sin. [Rafał Boguszewski, Religiosity and morality in the Polish society - dependency or autonomy? Sociological Study, p.91]

Quote:But if I'm "right", these 100 of my friends are wrong. That's uncomfortable.

Depends on person I guess. I have no problem with others being wrong.

Quote:The sheer numbers of it all make it difficult to be a "black sheep".

Peer pressure might be tough but it is them who are black sheep, incapable or unwilling to throw off shackles of indoctrination. Using reason to escape clutches of religion is nothing to be ashamed of.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Keep in mind that of those 100 friends, more than a few are at the questioning stages you were at, and are not able to admit it yet.
23-02-2018, 02:13 PM
(23-02-2018 11:13 AM)tjo252810 Wrote:  But if I'm "right", these 100 of my friends are wrong. That's uncomfortable.

It happens.
Just because a lot of people happen to believe something doesn't make it true.
There was a time when most people believed Earth was the center of the universe.
Oops.

But sure, it's never easy being the odd one out.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
23-02-2018, 02:23 PM
(23-02-2018 12:34 PM)skyking Wrote:  Keep in mind that of those 100 friends, more than a few are at the questioning stages you were at, and are not able to admit it yet.

Exactly, speaking up against popular opinion is tough to do. Who knows how many are harbouring serious doubts.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user