Fairy tales?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Fairy tales?
The one thing I notice is that almost everyone is calling religions fairy tales, as if the bible is a book of lies. You're misunderstanding the meaning of all the world religions that have come and gone. They are mythologies, they are stories of a specific culture at a specific time. They were tools used for explaining the world as they saw it when they had no access to modern sciences. They showed a cultures values and its heroes and human stories. You say that these metaphors are lies, the theists believe them to be true. Taking metaphors and allegory as literal truths have stagnated, creating something monstrous that causes a separation, a tribe mentality and war against people of other faiths and ideas. Perhaps I am alone in this, but I don't see religion as something to be done away with, something contemptible. What I do see however is that the message has become corrupted, that is the source that should be the target of your scorn. We are all on this tiny speck of a planet in the middle of nowhere. United by the single fact that we are all human, religion sought to unite everyone but through a faith and they got caught up in interpreting metaphors and allegories as facts, they are unwilling or unable to change. If they are able to change but unwilling? Then they have failed. I sincerely hope that someday we could coexist. I have no hate towards the people of faith, however I can not tolerate those who use it to promote ancient cosmologies and values that have no place in the modern era.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
16-11-2013, 12:04 PM
RE: Fairy tales?
Quote:I have no hate towards the people of faith

Life's too short to go around hating people...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't necessarily hate people of faith, but finding out that someone is highly religious makes me lose a certain degree of respect for them. I don't feel bad about that any more because many people distrust me for my lack of faith. It begets itself.

I would hope that religion and superstitions eventually become things we look back on with fondness but no longer practice, such as when you see a caveman mannequin in a museum and think "We've come so far since the wheel was invented!" We just don't need it in this day and age. If there are some people who feel more comfortable living with religion then fine. I won't try to stop them unless they harm others.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
16-11-2013, 12:58 PM
If the myths and allegories were used only to explain a world view that allows some adherents to live peacefully in that world I would be fine.

However the worlds three major monotheistic religions are far too frequently used to control and manipulate people sometimes for personal gain and sometimes for political purposes. I can accept individual theists. I hate religion and its uses by the manipulators.
16-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Once upon a time there were three major monotheistic religions.

One was too hot.

One was too big.

And one was too soft.

No... wait...

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-11-2013, 01:33 PM

So they all instituted a medieval attitude towards women and sex whereupon they became popular, and powerful, because every right-thinking man knows that those hussies are up to something and will eventually cause the end of the world.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-11-2013, 01:40 PM
(16-11-2013 01:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  ...

So they all instituted a medieval attitude towards women and sex whereupon they became popular, and powerful, [but only as long they were the fairest of them all] because every right-thinking man knows that those hussies are up to something and will eventually cause the end of the world.

... and the hussy fled into the woods and lost her way.

Then, beyond the thickets she heard seven voices singing:

"Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho".

She called back "Hi! But I ain't no ho!"

to be continued...

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-11-2013, 02:55 PM
To which six voices replied "Are you fucking Dopey ?"

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post