Faith Based Films: Are we hopefully seeing the beginning of the answer to them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Faith Based Films: Are we hopefully seeing the beginning of the answer to them?
I know movies challenging religion is nothing new. However within just this current week I saw 2 "Faith Challenge Films" taking a bolder challenge to religion and we're still coming out of the 2 or so years of the era of Faith Based Films (and apparently there's still more from the theists since apparently there's a "God's Not Dead" sequel coming). Plus despite what Christians may think, Hollywood is still a theists world. Even the movies that challenge religion take a "no true scottsman" approach with the message of "these are bad religions and this new agey stuff is the good stuff." The main good guy may have a bad view of religion but then ends up finding God in his own way by the end.

Anyway, what do you think of the following trailers? Are the "nons" fighting back? Or are these just "eh, well, this won't last"? Or should other "nons" within showbiz take this as inspiration to take things further:

Not actually a theist challenger. More of a challenge to the Christian Right:

About the Massachusetts Catholic sex abuse scandal:

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
31-07-2015, 08:10 AM
RE: Faith Based Films: Are we hopefully seeing the beginning of the answer to them?
I saw a film a few years ago that was quite good called, Higher Ground. It tracts a young girl/woman through her life and experience with several relationships, including her relationship with faith. Vera Farmiga directed & stars ...

It is a very understated bit of work but serves up a very profound statement. Shy

Looks like the full film can be seen on YouTube.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-07-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Faith Based Films: Are we hopefully seeing the beginning of the answer to them?
Thanks for those. I'll look out for them.

Although, I can't help thinking they might be a little bit too intellectual for our theistic brethren.

Personally I'd want to see a remake of The Life Of Brian staring Jon Stewart as Brian.

I often think, when people say that Islam has not had its Enlightenment yet ... No, it hasn't had its Brian yet.

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Oooh... The Life of Manny ... Staring Jon Stewart as Manny, whose every turn as a prophet of the newest religion, is one upped by some epileptic, camel salesman on the other side of the camp called Muhammad.

It's got posibilities! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
31-07-2015, 10:13 AM
(31-07-2015 08:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks for those. I'll look out for them.

Although, I can't help thinking they might be a little bit too intellectual for our theistic brethren.

Personally I'd want to see a remake of The Life Of Brian staring Jon Stewart as Brian.

I often think, when people say that Islam has not had its Enlightenment yet ... No, it hasn't had its Brian yet.

Consider

HERESY!!!

Keep it up and you'll be the next guy at the stoning.....

"Are there any women here today??"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.