Faith Healing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Faith Healing
I have faith in the potential of machine intelligence. Thumbsup

That's my problem. My vision of technocratic anarchy requires AI. Angry

But a political machine should just be programmed and allowed to get on with its job of giving us what we need. Food. Shelter. Love. Space. And anyone who wants to be an individual can get to working for what they want. A separation between logic and emotion. And humans will do fine, for each other and their environment, and that's the only fine you need to do in life.

Any questions? Smartass

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-03-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: Faith Healing
(25-03-2013 09:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  But a political machine should just be programmed and allowed to get on with its job of giving us what we need. Food. Shelter. Love. Space. And anyone who wants to be an individual can get to working for what they want. A separation between logic and emotion. And humans will do fine, for each other and their environment, and that's the only fine you need to do in life.

Any questions?
Questions? How do you get people to agree that those, let's say, four things are what they need and the rest is what they want? And how do you make sure that what I want will not in interfere with what you want?

And lastly, do we really need to separate emotion and logic? If yes, why?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Science should be able to tell us what we need. Those four examples were only an example of 4. I like my 4s. Thumbsup

Emotion shouldn't be involved in the running of a machine.

Oh, and you're " I don't want your want interfering with my want" is an emotional argument. Tongue

25-03-2013, 10:30 AM
(25-03-2013 10:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Science should be able to tell us what we need. Those four examples were only an example of 4. I like my 4s. Thumbsup

Oh, and you're " I don't want your want interfering with my want" is an emotional argument. Tongue
Well, of course it's an emotional argument. You can conceivably take emotion out of such a machine, but the machine will only exist to serve what is not mechanical and thus has emotions. So, where would that leave you?

It's a bit like trying to teach a lion not to eat meat. You may succeed but you'll end up with a different species. Or you may just wipe all lions off the planet and be done with it (which will be okay by me, don't much like lions - they are one chauvinistic species, females do all the hard work and males eat their young.)

25-03-2013, 10:47 AM
(25-03-2013 10:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-03-2013 10:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Science should be able to tell us what we need. Those four examples were only an example of 4. I like my 4s. Thumbsup

Well, of course it's an emotional argument. You can conceivably take emotion out of such a machine, but the machine will only exist to serve what is not mechanical and thus has emotions. So, where would that leave you?
With a machine that works. And a people that don't. We're not supposed to work, we're supposed to create. Tongue

25-03-2013, 10:52 AM
(25-03-2013 10:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  With a machine that works. And a people that don't. We're not supposed to work, we're supposed to create. Tongue
But we're supposed to function.
And don't blow semantic bubbles in my face, Johnny, that wasn't really an answer. [Image: d_bubble.gif]

26-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh, and another thing, Johnny. How does a machine make sure people have love (unless we're talking robots, in which case I think I'll pass Tongue )?

As much as it pains me (well, it doesn't, really, just a figure of speech), love isn't something we need, but something we want. Not saying we (well, some) don't want it so bad it feels like a need, but the intensity of a thing cannot change its nature (well, not in this case anyway).

Not the system that's the problem, but people. You change them, everything else will follow. And before you ask how we can change people - I haven't the foggiest.

Also - Equilibrium Smartass

26-03-2013, 08:40 PM
We're too egocentric in thinking we'll create this wonderful AI overlord that will serve humanity making us fat and happy for the remainder of our species' existence. Our best hope is to give birth to our successor species who can go places we can't go and reach heights we can't reach Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.