Faith In Science Vs Faith In Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Video Faith In Science Vs Faith In Religion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lqnd6nf...E4pudI9STA

So a common argument I hear from religious people regarding faith is "whats wrong with faith in religion when Atheist have faith in science?" So in this video I explain why "faith" in science isn't the same as faith in religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2014, 07:52 AM
RE: Faith In Science Vs Faith In Religion
You'll have to explain why there is "rational faith" - Faith is belief in something without evidence, period.

Science uses empirical evidence and demonstrable evidence through testing, repeatable results, models of understanding. That is not believing in something without evidence. That requires no faith, it is tested.

We don't need faith to believe that the sun will rise because the sun doesn't rise. The earth rotates. We can demonstrate that the earth rotates. Because we can demonstrate through empirical evidence, we can prove that the earth will continue to rotate, and therefore you will have a day time and a night time. There's no rational faith in that, period. None. It's demonstrated.

Faith is belief in something without evidence, or lacking evidence.

There is no need to defend and call it anything else like "rational faith" - you can simply call it confidence in demonstrated results. That is not faith.

That said... you don't seem nervous about being on camera and well spoken, but I still feel that you're pandering to find "common ground" with those who are attempting to make the faith argument when there is no need to.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
12-10-2014, 09:30 AM
What is faith in religion?
Well, first we should define both faith and religion.
Faith is belief without evidence.
Religion is the worship and belief in a supernatural deity.
So, faith in religion means the belief in and worship of a supernatural deity without evidence, which is irrational. You can believe anything and have the same argument as religious people: "I have faith." I can argue that flying pink unicorns exist and they give me an enema every day without anyone seeing it, because I have faith.

What is "faith" in science?
It's simple. THERE IS NO FAITH IN SCIENCE! Faith is belief without evidence, and science, which is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. Everything that is classified as science requires peer-reviewed, empirical evidence to support it, as well as have predictive capabilities with it. For example, we know when the next lunar eclipse will be because of the measurement of the Sun and Moon, their trajectory and speed throughout space, which harbors predictive capabilities on where it will be at a specific period of time.

So, faith in religion is wrong because it is belief without evidence and/or predictive capabilities, while faith in science is also wrong, but also irrelevant, because science is true whether you have faith in it or not because of the scientific evidence and predictive capabilities of scientific theories.
12-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Science is based on facts, faith is based on fantasy. I don't have any need to believe in facts because I know them to be real, repeatable and true.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-10-2014, 10:02 AM
The simple response is that the scientific method has demonstrated itself to work... To say we take it on faith suggests that its something that we hope, might work, but don't know for sure that it does...

So far, the scientific method hasn't let us down... Medicine is perhaps the most immediately obvious example of its results. Once humans stopped using faith based medicine (witch-doctors, old wives tales etc), life expectancy doubled, standards of living improved dramatically and previously incurable diseases are no longer a problem, one has been completely eradicated. These are all simple, everyday examples of how the application of the scientific method have dramatically improved our lives.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
(12-10-2014 07:46 AM)Mage The Entertainer Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lqnd6nf...E4pudI9STA

So a common argument I hear from religious people regarding faith is "whats wrong with faith in religion when Atheist have faith in science?" So in this video I explain why "faith" in science isn't the same as faith in religion.

Whenever someone tells me religious faith is no different than trust or belief in the scientific method and is not irrational belief, I tell them that I know that is not the case because when I have smashed every argument a mystic throws at me they always fall back on "well it takes faith to believe".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick