Faith and Fairy Tales

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
RE: Faith and Fairy Tales
(08-09-2015 02:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 01:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Reread what Jesus said would happen to those who don't believe. They were fearful--but the message of that was entwined with love.

Yea, I don't think they were all that fearful of a guy they hung-up. And those Pharisees, and religious folks who Jesus reserved his fire and brimstone reprimands toward, were the one's he most pissed off, rather than won their adoration or following.

And his illustrations of hell, gnashing of teeth, evoke the image of anger, more so than the screams of physical pain. And a variety of times appear comical, like in the store where it's referred to as Abrahams bosom, and some illustrations a real place in jerusalem, where they burned refuse.

It's not particularly surprising that the gates of hell are often referred to as being locked from the inside. And the image of fire in the NT often refers to kindling, like the coals poured on one's head, by returning their curses with blessings.

Jesus was crucified as part of God's plan. It had nothing to do with fearing him/not fearing him.

"From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life." Matt. 16:21

I don't think they thought of hell as a vacation.

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out." Mark 9:43

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire." Jude 1:7

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment.." 2 Peter 2:4

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt. 10:28

"The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him." Ezekiel 18:20.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 02:43 PM
On a side note, why the fuck am I spending my day off arguing with Tomasia?? Hobo

j/k Tomasia. Tongue You are entertaining Thumbsup
08-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Slow day, eh?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-09-2015, 02:45 PM
(08-09-2015 02:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Slow day, eh?

meh, I'm still in my pajamas Drinking Beverage
08-09-2015, 02:47 PM
(08-09-2015 02:45 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Slow day, eh?

meh, I'm still in my pajamas Drinking Beverage
LOL

At least I got out and did some stuff today.... Got trees marked for tapping.... Got to the bank... Now it's raining - so here I is......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
(08-09-2015 12:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 12:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why are you telling me what I meant when I was quoting Timothy? Tongue I told you what I meant.

fine...

Quote:Historical accuracy is important to me. If there is inaccurate info in the Bible, how can we believe anything the writers were trying to tell us. If they embellished history--they could have embellished all kinds of things.

Do consider Shakespeare's Julius Caesar an embellishment of history? Do you mistrust his perspective and works because they were not historically accurate?

Historical accuracy is not important to me all that much at all. If I found out that Noah story was historically accurate, that wouldn't change much of anything for me, other than acquiring a new historical fact.

So the importance you place on historical accuracy is kind of foreign to me. I understand it's important to you, but how so? I mean is the primary reason that you reject Christianity or God based on a lack of historical accuracy? I doubt that.

Lack of historical accuracy is a good reason for doubting the rest of the Bible.

And no one claims that Shakespeare's plays are the word of God, so your comparison is pretty weak.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-09-2015, 03:14 PM
(08-09-2015 10:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 09:50 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  All the chapters of genealogies and begats. Unless intended as a cure for insomnia there's no other purpose for them than as an historic accounting - and as preface to historic events that follow.

SO the one's written with genealogies and begets were intended to be interpreted as historical accounts, or at least parts of it. The Gospels genealogies, indicate the writers did see themselves as writing about a real historical person, that that their writings were in some sense biographical? Would this have been the case for the writers of the stories of Samson, and Cain and Abel, and Noah, etc..?

Did ancient Hebrews have separate categories for fictional narrative and historical ones? Did fiction even exist in the ancient world? Or are fairy tales, fictional stories, a modern invention? Did the greeks distinguish between fictional accounts of Dionysus, Zeus, from historical ones? Or were they all read as historical? Did their audiences read them as we would historical biographies, or did they read them they way we might the genres which they resemble the most, as stories, and novels?

My view would be that these distinction are a modern one. That if we asked an ancient audience as to whether the stories were literal or not, the question would be as confusing as asking a Japanese community to distinguish between their cultural and religious ritual. And that often our understanding of these writings suffer from a great deal of anachronism.

And this proves whay exactly? That idea that the gospel writers thought that the people were real doesn't mean squat. Considering that the authors of Matt and Luke weren't even close on their geneologies of the same person should call into question the extraordinary stuff.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
08-09-2015, 03:46 PM
(08-09-2015 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 12:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  fine...

Do consider Shakespeare's Julius Caesar an embellishment of history? Do you mistrust his perspective and works because they were not historically accurate?

Historical accuracy is not important to me all that much at all. If I found out that Noah story was historically accurate, that wouldn't change much of anything for me, other than acquiring a new historical fact.

So the importance you place on historical accuracy is kind of foreign to me. I understand it's important to you, but how so? I mean is the primary reason that you reject Christianity or God based on a lack of historical accuracy? I doubt that.

Lack of historical accuracy is a good reason for doubting the rest of the Bible.

And no one claims that Shakespeare's plays are the word of God, so your comparison is pretty weak.

His histories are also not at any point considered historically accurate... they're dramatics written to be preformed as dramatical theatre. I don't often make up anaolgies or metaphors because I am terrible at it. I just wish some people that are also routinely poor at it would use them less too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson