"Faith" drives me nuts!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2018, 12:19 PM
"Faith" drives me nuts!
I am an Atheist. My wife has become increasingly religious as we have gotten older. She is now 68, while I trail at 64. She leads bible study before mass every Sunday and gives about $8000/yr. to her Methodist church.
I avoid discussing religion like it was the plague, because we have had the discussion a million times and logic goes nowhere when up against "we believe because we have FAITH". It leaves me feeling like I am missing the faith gene or soul gene. She came home from church a few weeks back baiting me with: "The preacher said that people who don't believe in God have no soul". Oh boy, blood pressure rising! But I resisted, and just gave her a "that's nice hun".
I was raised Catholic and was even an alter boy in my youth. This all came into serious question when I learned that a number of God's hand selected apostles (his priests) were abusing children sexually. This floored me! I took a critical look at everything that was previously part of my FAITH and the logic behind my beliefs just fell away. I was just left with this: God is invisible, hidden, cloaked, and a mystery for no reason! An all powerful God could clear up the mystery whenever he wanted. Instead he hides and allows violent divisions to tear his children apart, and then places a gag order on 100 billion souls who have died and are "imprisoned" in an eternal spirit heaven. The first Golden Rule must be "NO CONTACT" with earthlings!!! Is Heavens Gate more like the Berlin Wall?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like searcher2018's post
30-01-2018, 12:22 PM
RE: "Faith" drives me nuts!
Welcome. Quite a few ex-catholics here. Pull up a chair and chime right in.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Welcome!
30-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Welcome.

Faith drives you nuts? I think we have something in common.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Hello.
I like Faith.
She's a cool great-aunt of mine. Yes But I see how she could drive someone nuts.

I didn't know Methodists had "mass". I'ma gonna tell the pope they plagiarized his shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Welcome to TTA.

(30-01-2018 12:19 PM)searcher2018 Wrote:  ...
She came home from church a few weeks back baiting me with: "The preacher said that people who don't believe in God have no soul".

I'm impressed. That preacher was right. Yes

(30-01-2018 12:19 PM)searcher2018 Wrote:  ...
Is Heavens Gate more like the Berlin Wall

Hmmm. A Soul Emigration Policy. There's an intriguing thought.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-01-2018, 01:03 PM
(30-01-2018 12:19 PM)searcher2018 Wrote:  I am an Atheist. My wife has become increasingly religious as we have gotten older. She is now 68, while I trail at 64. She leads bible study before mass every Sunday and gives about $8000/yr. to her Methodist church.
I avoid discussing religion like it was the plague, because we have had the discussion a million times and logic goes nowhere when up against "we believe because we have FAITH". It leaves me feeling like I am missing the faith gene or soul gene. She came home from church a few weeks back baiting me with: "The preacher said that people who don't believe in God have no soul". Oh boy, blood pressure rising! But I resisted, and just gave her a "that's nice hun".
I was raised Catholic and was even an alter boy in my youth. This all came into serious question when I learned that a number of God's hand selected apostles (his priests) were abusing children sexually. This floored me! I took a critical look at everything that was previously part of my FAITH and the logic behind my beliefs just fell away. I was just left with this: God is invisible, hidden, cloaked, and a mystery for no reason! An all powerful God could clear up the mystery whenever he wanted. Instead he hides and allows violent divisions to tear his children apart, and then places a gag order on 100 billion souls who have died and are "imprisoned" in an eternal spirit heaven. The first Golden Rule must be "NO CONTACT" with earthlings!!! Is Heavens Gate more like the Berlin Wall?

Brother?!
It's like looking in the mirror.
Although my wife knows better than to talk to me about religion.
I'm a lost cause.

God is a tool invented by control freaks.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
30-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Welcome Smile
I`m an ex-catholic too, who started questioning her beliefs when faced with inconsistency and total hypocrisy of the RCC (and other Christian churches) on most liberal issues (i.e. social justice, homosexuality, women`s rights, etc. ad nauseum).

WRT faith, what can I say; there`s none so blind as those who will not see.
You can`t reason with someone who doesn`t accept reason itself.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
30-01-2018, 01:40 PM
"I have faith" means "I don't want to try to think about this shit."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2018, 02:21 PM
If you have no soul, then you don't have to worry about eternity in any case...win/win!
[+] 2 users Like julep's post