Faith-healing couple charged with murder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Faith-healing couple charged with murder
The faith-healing parents of a baby who died earlier this year just hours after she was born have been charged with murder in connection to her death.

http://katu.com/news/local/faith-healing...abys-death

Travis and Sarah Mitchell have been charged with murder and criminal mistreatment in Clackamas County.

Only Mitchell's family, fellow Followers of Christ members and three midwives were present at the birth of the two girls.

Church members Dale and Shannon HIckman were convicted of manslaughter and sentenced in 2011 to six years in prison for the death of their newborn baby in Oregon City. Shannon Hickman is Sarah Mitchell's sister.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Silly Deity's post
06-06-2017, 09:07 AM
RE: Faith-healing couple charged with murder
It doesn't matter what you do or don't believe in, you don't get to ignore the law and put people in danger. Willful ignorance is no excuse.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
06-06-2017, 10:03 AM
As usual, prayer makes no sense.

"So... you decided my baby would have breathing problems. We suspect you're going to watch and do nothing while it dies. As much as we respect your will and amazing plan, could you change your mind please?"

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-06-2017, 10:23 AM
So sad. There aren't even words.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-06-2017, 10:38 AM
(06-06-2017 10:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So sad. There aren't even words.

I have some words, specifically for the parents and other witnesses to this crime. Amazingly (or perhaps not) the sister of this woman also lost a baby just hours after birth years ago, and is currently serving a 6 year sentence for manslaughter with her husband.

You'd think if nothing else the personal experience with such a tragedy might re-shape your responses a bit should you happen to find yourself in an eerily similar situation down the road.

Guess not.

And finally, do you think the lack of professional prenatal care might contribute to these babies being born 2 months prematurely in the first place? Both sisters.

SMDH. Facepalm
06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Why even have children at all if you're not prepared to look after them? You don't believe in medical care, fine. But don't make others suffer because of it.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-06-2017, 02:40 PM
(06-06-2017 07:40 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  fellow Followers of Christ members

Of course; who else?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
06-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Oh ... I've got some words. Dodgy

If a baby delivers prematurely, one needs to be prepared to deal, at the very least with the lungs - the lungs are the last organs to develop. Chances are, the surviving twin was also in distress, whether it presented significant signs or not. It may have lost vital oxygen to the still developing brain if the lungs were at all weak. That can happen even with proper hospital care.

I don't think the mother should be imprisoned but, I think the attending midwives, family, and entire church should be. The couple will have enough of an emotional prison term taking care of their mentally disabled child, knowing they are responsible and it's difficulties could have been prevented.

Religion is fucking insanity. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
(06-06-2017 03:15 PM)kim Wrote:  

Oh ... I've got some words. Dodgy

If a baby delivers prematurely, one needs to be prepared to deal, at the very least with the lungs - the lungs are the last organs to develop. Chances are, the surviving twin was also in distress, whether it presented significant signs or not. It may have lost vital oxygen to the still developing brain if the lungs were at all weak. That can happen even with proper hospital care.

I don't think the mother should be imprisoned but, I think the attending midwives, family, and entire church should be. The couple will have enough of an emotional prison term taking care of their mentally disabled child, knowing they are responsible and it's difficulties could have been prevented.

Religion is fucking insanity. Dodgy

They're so far brainwashed (even with the death of their baby and the health issues the other one faces) they'll still rest on it's God's will. While they'll be sad, they'll "trust" God knew best. I hope this shakes them all out of their religion coma-but sadly, doubtful.
07-06-2017, 12:45 AM
That's correct action to take I would say though I doubt that it will discourage others from following in these brainwashed sheep steps.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post