Faith is Greater than Reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2012, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2012 08:23 PM by Erxomai.)
RE: Faith is Greater than Reason
(13-01-2012 12:51 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  [Whoo hoo, the Nyquil is kicking in. None of my posts will make sense now.]

What was the reason before the Nyquil? Big Grin
(13-01-2012 08:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You haven't seen some of my poops, I should post a picture of the one that had the face of Jesus in it.

Is that what poop on steroids does?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Know what I like about atheists? They're my peer group. My people.

Know what I don't like about atheists? Dependence on structure, normal, expertise.

What is this usual drama? The sheep baa, the wolves bark; we go back to being cogs in the machine. Three months on these forums; there's gotta be a machine, a conveyor belt of automated sacrificial lamb, ran through a graphics package to randomize identity and avatar. They're not here for civilized purpose; they are here to detract from civilization's unwritten charter of participation. Gotta be some kind of philosopher; to be an atheist, it's all science and mathematics -evolved philosophy. And who do we serve, fellow philosophers?

Truth.

Not the truth; but the thing-in-itself, the baseline of civilized practice. What you get outta HoC on a consistent basis? A listing of deviance from the norm; Gwynnies, psychopath,felon, it is too easy to adapt to mob mentality where my moral certainty becomes our right to tell you what the fuck to do.

And what civilization are we building, here? Come kick it at my crib in the valley, we hang; a theist knocks on the door? They would get "killed." Ain't nobody here, a random JW come by? Cannot even open the mouth, they get valentined (a better expression, btw) they GTFO, mark on their holy map, "here there be dragons."

Which is faith, in action. I'm a self-contained sack of mostly water, electricity, chemicals; in what sense, is Gwyneth Paltrow, not, my faith? How do I know, "I got picture of her?" i seen her interviews? That she exists; in this, the dawn of CGI?

Am I any different? I was lost, but know i am found? I have, higher power? A god so much more omni than I? Know that it was my saving grace - in the "words of god,' she once said - I'm just a girl. I don't understand how someone can obsess over me. Their time would be better served in a soup kitchen.

Do you believe that shit? Soup kitchen? As in, the coding of the underclass; the paying of alms, the generic, "sin-all-week-for-free" card? What kinda - but don't tell her I said that. Cause, she's god and shit. Cannot be questioning god. Can, however, maintain the standard of natural-born loser to fail even in this - worshiping celebrity - ain't I supposed to be "identifying myself" to my "soul-mate?" How did I get it so wrong to snatch from the jaws of "white trash vagrant," YHWH?

There ain't even meme for that Epic of a Fail. Was reality, referencing my faith; all I did, was what i was supposed to do. Keep it real. I see shit, I gotta interview the witnesses; myself. I gotta question the agenda. I gotta empty the closet of skeletons to the point where, the rest of the time; I'm assembling skeletons to pull out of the closet later.

Pattern; what it is. Recognizing pattern, reinforcing pattern. Faith is the vehicle of identity in the manner of investment. Whatever I invest with my identity as a function of time; is whatever patterns my agenda. Mathematics. Science. And oh, yeah; Gwyneth Paltrow - got like a triple doctorate in that shit, right there.

Which is evaluation in the sense of utilizing what I value; to measure what is valued by another. As advantage, it is knowing the enemy; as civilization, it is knowing the enemy is me.

The postulate "faith is greater than reason," that is known territory; mapped province. Now Gwynnite. When it occurs, that "faith is greater than reason;" the faith is Victor Victorious. Ya don't go into the enemy encampment; showing off your new air-superiority strike craft. Ya go into the enemy encampment; ya talk like a grunt and not a general, ya wait for the pattern to cycle. When the strategists are all out on the plains with apcs and troop carriers; trusting in a handful of F-4s to keep Shit from Raining Down. Then what happens? Mirage, monsieur; fait de dieu, n'est-ce pas? Man, I didn't see a thing!

Fucking write all these words, why? Cause it is what I do. Faith? Madre de dios, senor. Hole card. The Ace. fuggadaboutit. Reason is the context of civilization; faith is the response of a man of reason, when shit becomes distinctly uncivilized. It is fides; integrity, reputation, it is historically known in this context. I have faith that faith will once more become fashionable.

And God? Earns himself a single capital. Comedy. That's the stuff of miracle; where else in the animal kingdom, does the predator show teeth, as a sign of welcome. What else works, to complement reason when the weight of reason is but despair? What else turns a group of identities, predators; into a pack, a crew? Like sharing the yuks?

Wrote all these words; only mentioned two. There may be a test, later.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-01-2012, 11:05 PM
(13-01-2012 10:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What you get outta HoC on a consistent basis? A listing of deviance from the norm; ...

At least 3 standard deviations away, brother. ... likely more but it don't much matter after 3 ... Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-01-2012, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2012 12:49 AM by Mr Woof.)
14-01-2012, 01:13 AM
(14-01-2012 12:36 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Do not use "faith" and "will" interchangeably.

I'm not so sure of that. It's worth consideration.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-01-2012, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2012 02:36 PM by ddrew.)
Been away from the forums for almost a week now.. been off doing my own thing. Lost in hours upon hours of SWTOR.

I see Egor is still suffering from head trauma. Nothing new...

Hello fellas. Smile

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
14-01-2012, 11:09 AM
He thinks that faith is greater then reason?........................Well......At least he still works as a paper weight or a doorstop. Anything other than those jobs are too advanced for this little brain dead boy. Egor. I now dub thee "Vegetable" due to your lack of brain function. Have a good day vegetable.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
14-01-2012, 12:04 PM
(14-01-2012 12:36 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Evidence makes us feel happy but how permanent is scientific evidence, in the long run, epistemologically speaking?
From an ontological perspective....our finite reasoning reflects our historical knowledge and how we have formulated logic. As for regressed infinity, pre big bang<<<, and forward infinity >>>>> ad Infinitum>> our knowledge is inadequate.

Intuition and some questioning re faith issues, in my view, is not undesirable.Shy

Just seen some youtube where they get these reader-types to put their heads in one of those magnetic resonator machines, they wanna show how reading affects the mind. Trying to prove the importance of reading. And what happens?

Sin, baby! There ain't no evolved structure in the brain for decoding written word, so what is the child required to do? Rewire his kit. What kind of criminal negligence is this? Do you even have the conceptual framework to understand what I'm telling you? Take your eyes, to the Nile; ponder the valley of kings. Human beings so caught up in the written word, it is administrative documentation written into cities.

Whereas in the opposite of civilization, a group of nobodies decides the administration knows their identity all too well, so they write their own script, they administer their own past. They fabricated. And we got...

Common Error.

There are fingerprints on my brain. There is taint and corruption in everything known as history. This is crimes against humanity on a scale that defies imagination. This is where the Religious Right are written into your creation. All of a sudden, it all makes sense. Why I was stuck on kill; everything I know, I know from drawing my Gwynnies. That's a different kind of communication, altogether.

I'm gonna go and fuck off right now. Know what works about atheism? I ain't gotta be nobodies savior. And I ain't gotta accept anybodies truth.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-01-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2012 06:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-01-2012 01:57 PM)Egor Wrote:  It is one thing to believe that which is right in front of you. I believe the sky is blue. I believe there are alligators in the lake next to my house. I believe gravity exists. There is no choice but to believe these things, and it is a very natural reaction to make reasonable judgments based on such knowledge that is so obvious to me.

If I go swimming in the lake, I might lose a foot. If I drop a water balloon off the Sears Tower in Chicago, it will make a big splash in the end. That's normal human reasoning based on direct observations connected with previous experience or the acquired knowledge of what has happened in the past (e.g., others have been bit by alligators in similar lakes).

But this is not the highest level of human mental functioning anymore than the peristalsis that leads to a good poop is a victory of human achievement. We observe and reason by reflex. Faith on the other hand requires will.

When we choose to believe, no matter what is presented to us, we are not only using our rational powers (because we reason that we are not being rational) but we also incorporate our will so that the entire process is more demanding than mere reasoning. It’s actually something that is very difficult to do.

If one is sick, and they choose to believe they have been healed even when they are still in pain or the symptoms persist, or if one simply chooses to have confidence in a situation even though there is only a 50/50 chance they will prevail, this takes more mental capability than simply being rational.

And I’m not talking about delusions here. A deluded person is still on the level of reasoning because they are sure their delusion is true. A deluded person may think they are protected against alligators by space aliens. That’s not faith. Such a person is using rational thinking when they go swimming in the lake. They’re wrong, of course, but they think they’re right; so, that’s not faith.

Because faith uses rationality as its stepping stone and then goes further through the use of will, it is obviously a greater use of human mental capabilities. And couldn't it be said that the use of will is more godlike than the use of rationality? Thus if there is a God, it may well be the case that we grow closer to Him via the use of faith.

1. The sky is not "blue". It APPEARS to be blue to you, for reasons which are clearly beyond your abilities.
2. "Will" is a mental construct. By this faulty reasoning, ANYTHING you CHOOSE to believe is "better" because you, (without establishing why), have decreed that what you "will" is better than what you reason. I will to believe in the Tooth Fairy. The evidence is that I found $5.00 under my pillow. Therefore it IS rational. You CHOOSE to make distinctions between what YOU decide to call a delusion, and what YOU choose to call "rational", and "will" to believe in.
3. Faith suspends rationality. Name ONE thing that faith uses to "build upon", and what are the criteria that you use to dismiss evidence, or accept as "acceptable".
4. Let's see you refute ONE, just ONE of the points in this lecture. Good luck, genius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-01-2012, 03:32 PM
There may be a distinct lack of bottom to the hole in #38

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post