Faith no more

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Faith no more
From the New Statesman.

Nothing new here, but several of the responses are rather elegant. I especially liked Grayling's and Goldacre's.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2011, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2011 02:27 PM by angry_liberal.)
RE: Faith no more
(31-07-2011 01:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  From the New Statesman.

Nothing new here, but several of the responses are rather elegant. I especially liked Grayling's and Goldacre's.

Noooooooooo! I would love to be able to give Grayling or Goldacre's answers. I probably would have led a much more productive and happy life. I did not have religion forced upon me. I had access to many diverse opinions (though not thorough going and confident atheism). I went to a Catholic school and they did trowel on the guilt but it was nothing like the horror stories some people endured. My mother would not discuss religion because she wanted me to make up my own mind, and my Dad would not stop talking and so was incapable of holding a conversation of any use to a child. What led me to waste years of my life on religion was that I felt that as a rationalist I had to test religious ideas, and that forced me to listen long enough to allow the emotional salesmanship techniques to kick in.
Reading answers like Grayling's just make me feel like a loser, but I am sure that's not fair. Everyone's story is different.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Did you get this from Mr. Stephen Fry by any chance?
Any ways I had the hardest time reading the believers side of things.
The answers are always the same. There is so much evidence in support of Christ... yadda yadda, twiddle dee dum. Once I hear that I want to scream until I'm blue in the face.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
31-07-2011, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2011 04:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-07-2011 02:12 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  What led me to waste years of my life on religion was that I felt that as a rationalist I had to test religious ideas, and that forced me to listen long enough to allow the emotional salesmanship techniques to kick in.

Why would you say that? I did the same thing and don't feel like it was wasted time at all.

(31-07-2011 02:12 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  Reading answers like Grayling's just make me feel like a loser, ...

Nah. While Grayling's response may come across as being from some sorta pompous ass, he was just being funny and flippant.

And Goldacre is wrong about there not being a term already invented for people like him. There is: apatheism.

(31-07-2011 02:17 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Did you get this from Mr. Stephen Fry by any chance?

No. But I certainly could have. Wink Got it from a post by an MD on a "Why there almost certainly is No God!!" thread on the hypogonadal forum I play at.

(31-07-2011 02:17 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Any ways I had the hardest time reading the believers side of things. The answers are always the same. There is so much evidence in support of Christ... yadda yadda, twiddle dee dum. Once I hear that I want to scream until I'm blue in the face.

I just find it entertaining at this point. Like watching somebody desperately trying to find a life raft in the middle of the desert.

31-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Love em!

The Real Thing, Angel Dust, King for a Day and Album of the Year are all incredible albums.... What's the link in the OP about?

Ok. Read it. Neat. I am still amazed though that Sam Harris can't say anything without pissing me off and or causing the immediate and violent evacuation of my stomach contents.

... Susan Blackmore is awesome!!!... Yay...

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
31-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I like this one:

Quote:Jim al-Khalili
Theoretical physicist

It is often said that religious faith is about mankind's search for a deeper meaning to existence. But just because we search for it does not mean it is there. My faith is in humanity itself, without attaching any metaphysical baggage.

It pays due respect to the prevailing theistic opinions but at the same time cuts through their nonsense.
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post
01-08-2011, 12:35 AM
(31-07-2011 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2011 02:12 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  What led me to waste years of my life on religion was that I felt that as a rationalist I had to test religious ideas, and that forced me to listen long enough to allow the emotional salesmanship techniques to kick in.

Why would you say that? I did the same thing and don't feel like it was wasted time at all.
Yes it does give me a perspective that only people like us share. Still when Grayling talks like that I feel jealous of him that he was able to cut through all the nonsense as a child.

(31-07-2011 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2011 02:12 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  Reading answers like Grayling's just make me feel like a loser, ...

Nah. While Grayling's response may come across as being from some sorta pompous ass, he was just being funny and flippant.

Okay being free of religion is a struggle. If it was not a struggle religion would not be a problem and there would be no forums like this. Still GRayling just makes it see too easy.
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 08:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-08-2011 12:35 AM)angry_liberal Wrote:  Okay being free of religion is a struggle. If it was not a struggle religion would not be a problem and there would be no forums like this. Still GRayling just makes it see too easy.

Yeah, but it's like a teetotaler asking an alcoholic, "How come you just don't stop drinking?"

(01-08-2011 12:35 AM)angry_liberal Wrote:  Still when Grayling talks like that I feel jealous of him that he was able to cut through all the nonsense as a child.

He may very well have never been introduced to the nonsense when he was a child. ... His loss.

01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
... merged w/ previous.

01-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I was expecting this when I read the thread title:

I figured I would post it so others wouldn't be disappointed like me.

Oh wait, I see Ghost beat me to the punch... but I was the first to post a song!

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!