Faith no more

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2011, 06:21 AM
RE: Faith no more
Quote:Jim al-Khalili
Theoretical physicist
It is often said that religious faith is about mankind's search for a deeper meaning to existence. But just because we search for it does not mean it is there. My faith is in humanity itself, without attaching any metaphysical baggage.

Who put this before me? Damn you, I wanted to use this as the best answer and the shortest one also... This is just a thing I would said, only I would have kept going and explained a lot of other stuff, so the answer would get lost...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 07:32 AM
(31-07-2011 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2011 02:12 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  What led me to waste years of my life on religion was that I felt that as a rationalist I had to test religious ideas, and that forced me to listen long enough to allow the emotional salesmanship techniques to kick in.

Why would you say that? I did the same thing and don't feel like it was wasted time at all.

Some people didn't have the same state of thinking or experience when they were religious. I remember a lot of my thoughts were ask god for "x" and wait rather than do it myself.

Anytime I did something wrong the fear of hell was there, it would be the slightest thing and I would get this feeling of bodies coming up through molten lava while screams were unbearable. I would lay awake in bed through my ages of 10-16 thinking, what if I die in my sleep, did I do good enough? The fear of hell still has a lingering feel in my head, haven't been able to shake it. Five years now as an atheist.

Also, I can't really remember having any fun or being stimulated in anyway when having to spend two hours every Wednesday/Sunday learning mythology as fact...

I was brought up Baptist.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 08:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-08-2011 07:32 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Also, I can't really remember having any fun or being stimulated in anyway when having to spend two hours every Wednesday/Sunday learning mythology as fact...

Memorizing Bible passages every day from the ages of 5-14 gave me an uncanny memory which serves me well to this day. And, besides, I really love pointing out to the Bible thumpers that the concept of "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" did not originate with Karl Marx, but rather from the Book of Acts (Chapter 4) and from Jesus' Parable of the Kingdom of Heaven in the Book of Matthew (Chapter 25). That really fucks them up. They should at least give me the courtesy of bothering to read their own damned book.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM

(31-07-2011 07:03 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Ok. Read it. Neat. I am still amazed though that Sam Harris can't say anything without pissing me off and or causing the immediate and violent evacuation of my stomach contents.

Out of curiosity, I went back and re-read the part in the article by Sam Harris. I guess I'm just a bit confused, what was in those five paragraph written by him that pissed you off or made you want to hurl?
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey, SCA.

I think that generally speaking, he's intellectually dishonest, an excellent rhetorical speaker and a demagogue. The substance of what he's pedaling, if there is actually any substance, is irrelevant to me. It's his approach that makes me ill.

As for this little blurb in particular, every single person before him uses the word "I" in their first sentence. Why? Because they're giving a direct answer to a direct question. He does not use the word I at any point in his response because he does not actually answer the question. Instead, does what he does best:
Reframe
Belittle to self-aggrandise
Non-sequitor
Play to people's emotions
Speak as if everything he says is self-evident
Say nothing of substance
Make it sound like he did
Call the people he attacks stupid and imply that you are too if you are like them and not so if you swallow his load

He is a snake oil salesman as far as I'm concerned.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt