Faith vs BPS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 02:20 AM
Faith vs BPS
I think I may have just wondered onto something, something huge that I do not think anyone else has thought up of before.

I, well, I JUST sort have thought about this and did a quick search for symptoms, but I think there is a direct relationship between religious faith ( this is mostly up for context since not "all" religions are the same ) and Battered Person Syndrome. At least when it comes to evangelist Christians and many of the other similar Christian/Islamic/Jew beliefs out there.

Here is a list of symptoms for PBS.

The abused thinks that the violence was his or her fault.
The abused has an inability to place the responsibility for the violence elsewhere.
The abused fears for her/his life, and/or, the lives of loved ones whom the abuser might or has threatened to harm (e.g., children-in-common, close relatives or friends).

Oh and THIS one....
The abused has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient.. Now that part is mainly due to the religious belief itself evolving over time, but the direct correlation is scary none the less.

Let's take Vanilla Christianity and break down the symptoms.

When you ask this Christian why bad things happen to people, why bad things happen in general, or why evil exists. They will respond with the sin argument, because we are sinners and are broken, in need of repair and its all our fault because of Adam and Eve.
This is a direct and EXACT copy of the first symptom from above.

Now, we move to the second symptom of PBS.
The abused has an inability to place the responsibility for the violence elsewhere.

Sound maybe a bit familiar, This may be a poor example, and please do give any better examples if I may slightly be misinterpreting this but, this sounds exactly what the faithful do when you try to show them how evil their deity is. They repeatedly try to push the blame someplace else. Case in point: God doesn't send you to hell, you send yourself to hell!

This argument shows that they have the inability to discern the source of violence and mistakens it from coming from someplace else.

The Faithful will use any excuse they can, any mental gymnastics they can do in order to make up any excuse for any counter argument given to even the must rudimentary counter point to even the most minute parts of their belief.

The next symptom is that
The abused fears for her/his life, and/or, the lives of loved ones whom the abuser might or has threatened to harm (e.g., children-in-common, close relatives or friends).

I don't really think I should have to explain this one. If you want me to. Just add the word after before the word life above if you don't understand. Many people actually ARE afraid of their god striking them down in the real world or won't save their spouse or their children or themselves. For the Faithful, god is one to be feared at all times.

Then there is that pmipotent and omnipresent thing as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battered_person_syndrome

That is all I got for right now, what do you guys think? Could there be a link between the two? How would we be able to full test this hypothesis of mine?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
06-11-2015, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 02:45 AM by Banjo.)
RE: Faith vs BPS
Ignore this post. Admin can delete it. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-11-2015, 02:50 AM
You're not the first to notice.

Seth did a podcast or was it a video along the same lines.

06-11-2015, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 02:54 AM by Banjo.)
My search engine keeps changing the letters. Sorry.

I found this small article from the British psychological society.

Religion, narcissism and judgement.
14/03/2012
People who are highly religious can be affected by narcissism in much the same way as those who have no such orientation, new research has suggested. Published in the Journal of Business Ethics, the study revealed this type of egotism can be particularly harmful among those from whom a stronger ethical stance is expected.

Marjorie Cooper, Professor of Marketing in the Hankamer School of Business at Baylor University - which is located in Waco, Texas - noted thinking only of oneself is powerful enough to encourage individuals to adopt behaviour that goes against their beliefs.

Professor Cooper observed: "Devout people who are narcissistic and exercise poor ethical judgment would be committing acts that are, according to their own internalised value system, blatantly hypocritical."

According to the findings, those who are sceptical about religion do not make worse ethical judgements when narcissism increases, yet the same is not true for nominal and devout Christians.

Dr Pat Frankish, Chartered Psychologist and a Fellow of the British Psychological Society, commented: "This study was based on students who were self-reporting, not people who are outwardly known to be devout Christians.

"I think we need to be sceptical about the results and not extrapolate to an assumption that all narcissistic devout Christians suffer from unethical decision making. It may be an interesting finding, in that narcissism is very powerful and can lead to errors of judgement when the self is potentially threatened."

Sorry about the now removed confusion when my "pro christian" search engine kept changing my questions. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-11-2015, 03:04 AM
(06-11-2015 02:20 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I think I may have just wondered onto something, something huge that I do not think anyone else has thought up of before.

I, well, I JUST sort have thought about this and did a quick search for symptoms, but I think there is a direct relationship between religious faith ( this is mostly up for context since not "all" religions are the same ) and Battered Person Syndrome. At least when it comes to evangelist Christians and many of the other similar Christian/Islamic/Jew beliefs out there.

Oh and THIS one....
The abused has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient.. Now that part is mainly due to the religious belief itself evolving over time, but the direct correlation is scary none the less.

When you ask this Christian why bad things happen to people, why bad things happen in general, or why evil exists. They will respond with the sin argument, because we are sinners and are broken, in need of repair and its all our fault because of Adam and Eve.

Sound maybe a bit familiar, This may be a poor example, and please do give any better examples if I may slightly be misinterpreting this but, this sounds exactly what the faithful do when you try to show them how evil their deity is. They repeatedly try to push the blame someplace else. Case in point: God doesn't send you to hell, you send yourself to hell!

This argument shows that they have the inability to discern the source of violence and mistakens it from coming from someplace else.

The Faithful will use any excuse they can, any mental gymnastics they can do in order to make up any excuse for any counter argument given to even the must rudimentary counter point to even the most minute parts of their belief.

The next symptom is that

I don't really think I should have to explain this one. If you want me to. Just add the word after before the word life above if you don't understand. Many people actually ARE afraid of their god striking them down in the real world or won't save their spouse or their children or themselves. For the Faithful, god is one to be feared at all times.

That is all I got for right now, what do you guys think? Could there be a link between the two? How would we be able to full test this hypothesis of mine?

Yep.

I totally agree.

The "battered person" is the lower classes of any society.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 03:20 AM
(06-11-2015 03:04 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 02:20 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I think I may have just wondered onto something, something huge that I do not think anyone else has thought up of before.

Oh and THIS one....

The next symptom is that

Yep.

I totally agree.

Lower Classes? What you mean by lower classes?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
06-11-2015, 03:25 AM
(06-11-2015 03:20 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:04 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Yep.

I totally agree.

Lower Classes? What you mean by lower classes?

Those who do without, those in the most tenuous positions in society, those with the least amount of power and authority, those in the most untenable positions within a given society. The poor, destitute, maligned, discriminated, impoverished, homeless, uneducated; the lowest rungs of the social hierarchy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post