Fake: Kansas Pushes to Swap COSMOS with a Creationist Program

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 01:16 PM by Jasozz.)
Fake: Kansas Pushes to Swap COSMOS with a Creationist Program
http://nationalreport.net/kansas-black-c...roversies/

Please tell me this is a big joke on us Kansans.

They want to fine FOX broadcasters who continue to air COSMOS, but offer them a way out if they agree to a Creationist program hosted by Kanned Ham?

What the actual fuck.

EDIT:

It seems to be fake, thank goodness. I was about to be incredibly sad for the future of my state. Well, I still am...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: Fake: Kansas Pushes to Swap COSMOS with a Creationist Program
Laugh out load
Undecided
Sadcryface2
Weeping

Atir aissom atir imon
10-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah would be fake. How fast would fox sue them? How fast would a federal court overturn that?
10-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I actually fell for that earlier today before realizing it was a hoax.

I don't feel TOO bad about my gullibility though.

1) It's sadly believable that a politician in a state like Kansas would try something like this.

2) Satire news should be funny (e.g. The Onion). This was not.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
10-04-2014, 02:49 PM
(10-04-2014 02:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I actually fell for that earlier today before realizing it was a hoax.

I don't feel TOO bad about my gullibility though.

1) It's sadly believable that a politician in a state like Kansas would try something like this.

2) Satire news should be funny (e.g. The Onion). This was not.

This just came off as a right-wing website pandering to the extremes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-04-2014, 03:37 AM
What would such a program be about except for...

1) evolution is wrong
2) irreducible complexity
3) there's got to be a designer
4) etc etc

My sister (and most of here family) are JWs. She and her husband once said to me that creation science should be taught as a separate subject in schools. So I said "Imagine I'm the chief honcho with regards to Education here. You can have a course over 5 years, 3 lessons per week (40 week school year), 45 minutes per lesson. But you're not allowed to mention the bible. It's a science course. Now, what are you going to teach?" They immediately replied with the familiar arguments such as those above. I replied "Consideration of other approaches is certainly a valid part of such a course, but you have to restrict such discussions to no more than 6 lessons per year. You have to teach FOR creation science, not just against evolution. Now, what are you going to teach?" They replied "Argument from design". I said "That's going to be a very interesting course. 'Lesson 1: consider the humble pencil. Clearly it has a designer. Therefore the universe has a designer. Lesson 2: consider the humble bicycle. Clearly it has a designer. Therefore the universe has a designer. Lesson 3:...'"

Never heard that argument again.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
13-04-2014, 03:44 AM
But only if I can make a program about Thor and Odin!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
14-04-2014, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 08:09 AM by Bible Belt Brawler.)
(13-04-2014 03:37 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  What would such a program be about except for...

1) evolution is wrong
2) irreducible complexity
3) there's got to be a designer
4) etc etc

My sister (and most of here family) are JWs. She and her husband once said to me that creation science should be taught as a separate subject in schools. So I said "Imagine I'm the chief honcho with regards to Education here. You can have a course over 5 years, 3 lessons per week (40 week school year), 45 minutes per lesson. But you're not allowed to mention the bible. It's a science course. Now, what are you going to teach?" They immediately replied with the familiar arguments such as those above. I replied "Consideration of other approaches is certainly a valid part of such a course, but you have to restrict such discussions to no more than 6 lessons per year. You have to teach FOR creation science, not just against evolution. Now, what are you going to teach?" They replied "Argument from design". I said "That's going to be a very interesting course. 'Lesson 1: consider the humble pencil. Clearly it has a designer. Therefore the universe has a designer. Lesson 2: consider the humble bicycle. Clearly it has a designer. Therefore the universe has a designer. Lesson 3:...'"

Never heard that argument again.

My mother is a JW, who ironically teaches biology, tries to push intelligent design down my throat any time evolution comes up. My mom's mom is even worse about it. It really is a destructive religion, as my shunned relatives would attest. I am so glad I was never baptized.

I find new chinks in their ID argument every time they bring it up with me.

Listen to this idea:

THE HEADLOUSE:
The head louse (Pediculus humanus capitis) is an obligate ectoparasite of humans. Head lice are wingless insects spending their entire life on the human scalp and feeding exclusively on human blood. Humans are the only known hosts of this specific parasite, while chimpanzees host a closely related species, Pediculus schaeffi. Other species of lice infest most orders of mammals and all orders of birds.

Like all lice, head lice differ from other hematophagic ectoparasites such as the flea in that lice spend their entire life cycle on a host. Head lice cannot fly, and their short stumpy legs render them incapable of jumping, or even walking efficiently on flat surfaces.

The non-disease-carrying head louse differs from the related disease-carrying body louse (Pediculus humanus humanus) in preferring to attach eggs to scalp hair rather than to clothing. The two subspecies are morphologically almost identical but do not normally interbreed, although they will do so in laboratory conditions. From genetic studies, they are thought to have diverged as subspecies about 30,000–110,000 years ago, when many humans began to wear a significant amount of clothing. A much more distantly related species of hair-clinging louse, the pubic or crab louse (Pthirus pubis), also infests humans. It is visually different from the other two species and is much closer in appearance to the lice which infest other primates. Lice infestation of any part of the body is known as pediculosis.

Head lice (especially in children) have been, and still are, subject to various eradication campaigns. Unlike body lice, head lice are not the vectors of any known diseases. Except for rare secondary infections that result from scratching at bites, head lice are harmless, and they have been regarded by some as essentially a cosmetic rather than a medical problem. It has even been suggested that head lice infections might be beneficial in helping to foster a natural immune response against lice which helps humans in defense against the far more dangerous body louse, which is capable of transmission of dangerous diseases.

Did it evolve, or was it designed?
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
14-04-2014, 09:34 AM
(14-04-2014 07:42 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  My mother is a JW, who ironically teaches biology, tries to push intelligent design down my throat any time evolution comes up. My mom's mom is even worse about it. It really is a destructive religion, as my shunned relatives would attest. I am so glad I was never baptized.
[SNIP]

Sorry you have had some of my experiences. Actually, your experiences could well be worse. At least my sister's family didn't shun us nor did my sister shun her daughter when she left the church. Very destructive behaviour...and very sad.

My sister and/or my BIL used to engage me in discussions/arguments but they'd try and do it via a back door. For instance, my BIL absolutely amazed me one day by starting up a conversation about cricket (you know, that funny game that apparently George Washington played once or twice. I'm Australian, BTW, so cricket's in my blood). My BIL had never expressed any interest in cricket and suddenly there he was quoting the latest scores in the current Test (international) match. I was suitably impressed. But then he started working Jehovah in....oh, boy. He'd actually put some effort into learning about cricket so he could teach me about gawd. Massive fail. Of course, he's never mentioned cricket since that day.

I'm not sure your example of head lice would convince my sister. The head lice has evolved to be nothing more than an essentially harmless irritation. My sister would say something like "That's God's plan" or "God works in mysterious ways".

But the good news is that pubic lice may be disappearing. Here's a clip from a popular American science program...

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/cdnpoy...thern-wild
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post