Fake tip money with a religious message on it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 09:13 AM
RE: Fake tip money with a religious message on it
But what if the dry cleaners decide to adopt the same outlook and rely on the customers to subsidise their wage? What if all employers do the same for customer facing staff? Is the onus then on us to contribute?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
10-08-2015, 09:26 AM
This, to me, is basically their way of saying, "We'll think about you when you're dead, but we couldn't give a rat's ass about what happens to you right now."

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
10-08-2015, 09:31 AM
(10-08-2015 01:12 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Why tip waiters, anyway? That they make less than min wage is a myth. Under the circumstance that they are being paid less than min wage, their employer is doing so illegally, and the waiter should take legal action. How it works now is that if an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

You could argue that it's a rough job, and thus they deserve more. Okay, sure. Then why aren't you tipping literally every entry-level, min wage job? How come the people pushing carts aren't getting tipped?

I wouldn't mind if it was thought a good thing to tip all min-wage jobs, on the basis that they do shitty work for shit pay. But don't just do it for only one when the arguments you use to support it apply to all of them.

Actually, if everyone stopped tipping all waiters the employer would be forced to make up the difference with all employees; without discriminating. What they do currently is fire the waiters that don't earn the min wage in tips, and you're enabling them to do so, as a tipper.

Bill Moyers Wrote:The Pew Research Center examined Bureau of Labor Statistics data and found that about one and a half million Americans earned the minimum wage in 2012, but nearly two million people earned an hourly wage that was even less than $7.25 an hour. These workers, for one reason or another, are exempted from the part of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA) that requires employers to pay at least the minimum wage, and include tipped workers and many domestic workers, as well as workers on small farms, some seasonal workers and some disabled workers.

Waiters earning less that the minimum wage is not a myth.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Chas, you're a better man than me.

That assertion made me so angry (since I worked two waiting jobs during college, and know damned well how it really works) that I started to do the same thing, then noticed who the originator of the opinion was, and decided to ignore him.

But thanks.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 09:50 AM
(10-08-2015 09:45 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Chas, you're a better man than me.

I wouldn't go that far. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2015, 09:51 AM
What a pathetic and miserly thing to do to someone that relies on tips for their income.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
(10-08-2015 09:51 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  What a pathetic and miserly thing to do to someone that relies on tips for their income.

Well you know what Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior said:

"Oh who cares? FUCK the poor!"

Haven't you heard the "Gospel of prosperity" preachers? God wants us to be rich. Says so right in the Bible...somewhere...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 10:17 AM
(10-08-2015 10:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 09:51 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  What a pathetic and miserly thing to do to someone that relies on tips for their income.

Well you know what Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior said:

"Oh who cares? FUCK the poor!"

Haven't you heard the "Gospel of prosperity" preachers? God wants us to be rich. Says so right in the Bible...somewhere...

You're right! I think that bit about being rich is bewteen not suffering a witch to live and not mixing different types of cloth. Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-08-2015, 10:18 AM
(09-08-2015 04:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 04:33 PM)julep Wrote:  The tip was 10%, maximum. ...If he pays, I always go back and leave extra for the waiter.

Good for you. In my neck of the woods a 10% tip is an insult and commentary on the lack of service I received.
Oh? What is the norm? 20%?
I'm thinking that it all depends on a prices of drinks/food compared to an average salary.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
10-08-2015, 10:52 AM
(10-08-2015 10:18 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 04:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Good for you. In my neck of the woods a 10% tip is an insult and commentary on the lack of service I received.
Oh? What is the norm? 20%?
I'm thinking that it all depends on a prices of drinks/food compared to an average salary.

The norm USED to be 15%, and I guess that still kinda is, but it's been unofficially creeping up from there, and 20% is "standard tip for generous people". Also, "standard tip for people who like easier math".

... unofficial? Is there an official tip? No? Hrrrm.

However, enforced gratuity are typically higher than 15%. 20% is about right for that.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post