Fake tip money with a religious message on it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: Fake tip money with a religious message on it
Originally, it was considered to be 15% "normal tip" for lunchtime and 20% at night, when the bigger crowds (and thus higher difficulty level for waiting tables) enters into it. But it's now considered to be 20% as the standard for all meals.

That said, I think it's ludicrous to expect waiters to live on tips. Especially considering that many people simply do not tip well, regardless of how hard you work, and that factors like gender, sex-appeal, and breast size enter into how much one can earn in tips, given equal performance. The number of days I busted my tail to the point of exhaustion, only to earn only $40-50 for my whole shift, I can't even count. Then again, I have a very flat chest.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 03:08 PM
(10-08-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 01:12 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Why tip waiters, anyway? That they make less than min wage is a myth. Under the circumstance that they are being paid less than min wage, their employer is doing so illegally, and the waiter should take legal action. How it works now is that if an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

You could argue that it's a rough job, and thus they deserve more. Okay, sure. Then why aren't you tipping literally every entry-level, min wage job? How come the people pushing carts aren't getting tipped?

I wouldn't mind if it was thought a good thing to tip all min-wage jobs, on the basis that they do shitty work for shit pay. But don't just do it for only one when the arguments you use to support it apply to all of them.

Actually, if everyone stopped tipping all waiters the employer would be forced to make up the difference with all employees; without discriminating. What they do currently is fire the waiters that don't earn the min wage in tips, and you're enabling them to do so, as a tipper.

Bill Moyers Wrote:The Pew Research Center examined Bureau of Labor Statistics data and found that about one and a half million Americans earned the minimum wage in 2012, but nearly two million people earned an hourly wage that was even less than $7.25 an hour. These workers, for one reason or another, are exempted from the part of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA) that requires employers to pay at least the minimum wage, and include tipped workers and many domestic workers, as well as workers on small farms, some seasonal workers and some disabled workers.

Waiters earning less that the minimum wage is not a myth.

I acknowledged that it happens but only illegally. Employers are required by law to make up the difference should the tips not. I'll instead say that employers legally paying their waiters less than min wage is a myth.
10-08-2015, 03:42 PM
(10-08-2015 03:08 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Waiters earning less that the minimum wage is not a myth.

I acknowledged that it happens but only illegally. Employers are required by law to make up the difference should the tips not. I'll instead say that employers legally paying their waiters less than min wage is a myth.

Employers should be paying minimum wage *at least*, not "making up the difference" or whatever sleazy management speak they come up with, and tips should be pure bonus for good work IMO. I don't like the tipping system at all. It's not fair to the waiters and nor do I like the pressure as a customer. In SA a lot of restaurants charge a flat 10% service fee, which I far prefer as it means there's no awkwardness as a customer, but even then, fuck these restaurant people, why aren't they properly charging the real price for their goods with the waiters' wages built in, paying a fair wage to their staff (with bonuses related to amount of food sold, if they're keen to incentivise the waiters to do good customer relations work) and no tips / service fees / whatever the fuck shown to the customer?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
10-08-2015, 03:45 PM
(10-08-2015 03:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 03:08 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I acknowledged that it happens but only illegally. Employers are required by law to make up the difference should the tips not. I'll instead say that employers legally paying their waiters less than min wage is a myth.

Employers should be paying minimum wage *at least*, not "making up the difference" or whatever sleazy management speak they come up with, and tips should be pure bonus for good work IMO. I don't like the tipping system at all. It's not fair to the waiters and nor do I like the pressure as a customer. In SA a lot of restaurants charge a flat 10% service fee, which I far prefer as it means there's no awkwardness as a customer, but even then, fuck these restaurant people, why aren't they properly charging the real price for their goods with the waiters' wages built in, paying a fair wage to their staff (with bonuses related to amount of food sold, if they're keen to incentivise the waiters to do good customer relations work) and no tips / service fees / whatever the fuck shown to the customer?

100% agreed.
10-08-2015, 03:49 PM
(10-08-2015 03:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  but even then, fuck these restaurant people, why aren't they properly charging the real price for their goods with the waiters' wages built in, paying a fair wage to their staff (with bonuses related to amount of food sold, if they're keen to incentivise the waiters to do good customer relations work) and no tips / service fees / whatever the fuck shown to the customer?

Because the other restaurants aren't doing it, and if they started doing it the competition would drive them out of business. Race to the bottom and all that. The only way to fix this kind of problem is enforced regulation that makes everyone start doing it at the same time.

Or a strong employee union that could bring pressure on all of them at the same time.

Now excuse me, I've got to get to cover before the business conservatives pile on me.
10-08-2015, 03:54 PM
(10-08-2015 03:49 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Because the other restaurants aren't doing it, and if they started doing it the competition would drive them out of business.

I disagree. I think most people don't like the tipping system and would rejoice at its demise, hence, if a restaurant were to advertise that they were adhering to some kind of 'fair trade' standard, similar to how fair trade coffee works (even though I've read a lot of articles which say fair trade coffee is a crock of shit), but if they could advertise something like that, then I think that would be a potential competitive advantage. Of course, I guess they'd have to do some market research first to see if that approach had a good chance of working...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Slightly off topic, but do you guys ever tip for takeout orders? I tipped the lady at this little family-owned restaurant the other day when I went in to pick up my food, because she hardly ever gets any business, and she seemed very stressed out about the prospect of having to find a better location where she could get more customers during lunch hours. I definitely don't think I could handle a running a struggling business like that. Confused

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
10-08-2015, 04:57 PM
(10-08-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 01:12 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Why tip waiters, anyway? That they make less than min wage is a myth. Under the circumstance that they are being paid less than min wage, their employer is doing so illegally, and the waiter should take legal action. How it works now is that if an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

You could argue that it's a rough job, and thus they deserve more. Okay, sure. Then why aren't you tipping literally every entry-level, min wage job? How come the people pushing carts aren't getting tipped?

I wouldn't mind if it was thought a good thing to tip all min-wage jobs, on the basis that they do shitty work for shit pay. But don't just do it for only one when the arguments you use to support it apply to all of them.

Actually, if everyone stopped tipping all waiters the employer would be forced to make up the difference with all employees; without discriminating. What they do currently is fire the waiters that don't earn the min wage in tips, and you're enabling them to do so, as a tipper.

Bill Moyers Wrote:The Pew Research Center examined Bureau of Labor Statistics data and found that about one and a half million Americans earned the minimum wage in 2012, but nearly two million people earned an hourly wage that was even less than $7.25 an hour. These workers, for one reason or another, are exempted from the part of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA) that requires employers to pay at least the minimum wage, and include tipped workers and many domestic workers, as well as workers on small farms, some seasonal workers and some disabled workers.

Waiters earning less that the minimum wage is not a myth.

Too true.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Department of Labor info...$2.13 an hour in some places...let that sink in.

And for those who say that the servers should get a better job and it's all their fault - remember who brings you your food next time you go out to eat.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-08-2015, 05:42 PM
In sane countries, minimum wage doesn't depend on whether or not you're working in one of the jobs that happens to fall into the socially arbitrary "can expect to receive regular tipping" jobs...
(EDIT: as per Angele's link, 7 states are officially "sane" by this metric. Disappointingly, New York is not one of them - they're usually good for such a bet)

I've never seen a fake tip in real life. Apparently it's a thing, though?

The last time I worked in a service job, we were expressly forbidden to take tips. This stopped precisely nobody.
(cjlr's hint of the day: tying Christmas trees to peoples' cars is a damn good way to get warm-and-fuzzy-holiday-spirit levels of tip dollars, let me tell you)

... this is my signature!
10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
(10-08-2015 04:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Too true.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Department of Labor info...$2.13 an hour in some places...let that sink in.

And for those who say that the servers should get a better job and it's all their fault - remember who brings you your food next time you go out to eat.

2.13 an hour is the minimum an employer can pay their employee if tips are making up the difference and boosting that employees total wages to federal minimum wage. Should the tips not make up the difference, the employer is required by law to do so themselves. I have already made this post on page 2.