Faking atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: Faking atheism
Have you tried making them go first? That way they can't just say "me too!" after you tell them you're an atheist.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Hell no!
People are cowards. I once knew a guy from Sri Lanka who told me he was christian. When I told him that I don't care about any religion he might be into, he broke down and confessed that he was a Buddhist.
[+] 1 user Likes Elenambass's post
08-09-2014, 08:15 AM
(07-09-2014 11:55 AM)Elenambass Wrote:  It doesn't take long to realize that they are just saying it because they can never tell me why they don't believe in god. Some of them even admitted saying it because I would think they are cool.
Does this happen to you too?

Weird. No, I've never seen that.

Being raised in a fairly conservative Lutheran church, that whole thing goes against everything I was taught. We were told you were never to recant your faith, even in the face of death. Hell, they even said you weren't supposed to recant when faced with the death of loved ones. The whole notion of hurting YHWH's feelings was such a big deal, that you wouldn't do it for something so trivial.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but when I was Christian, that behavior would have been baffling to me.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2014, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 09:11 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
While it's not unheard of for a guy to lie because he wants to get in a girl's pants Dodgy , it's also possible that they've just never put much thought into the religion thing.

I had roommate in college that was like that. His parents never took him to church as a kid or anything like that growing up, and he never had any other reasons to wrestle with the god question. Since he lacked belief, he would honestly qualify as an atheist, but if you asked why he didn't believe, his answer would likely be "I don't know...why should I believe?"

(07-09-2014 10:04 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  People are cowards. I once knew a guy from Sri Lanka who told me he was christian. When I told him that I don't care about any religion he might be into, he broke down and confessed that he was a Buddhist.

I understand why he would say that (he wants you to to like him), but it's shortsighted. Guys like this don't realize that women actually find honesty in likes and dislikes more attractive than spineless supplication.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
08-09-2014, 10:01 AM
(07-09-2014 10:04 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  Hell no!
People are cowards. I once knew a guy from Sri Lanka who told me he was christian. When I told him that I don't care about any religion he might be into, he broke down and confessed that he was a Buddhist.

I find that hilarious.
11-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I rarely reveal that I am a non-believer but should someone tell me I will go to hell, my response is convicted criminals who "come to god" will be there to greet you, whereas in hell, there will be brilliant minds, and it's warm. I hate being cold.