Fall down seven, stand up eight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
RE: Fall down seven, stand up eight.
How do you guys deal with self-doubt?
I'm constantly struggling with it.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
That's a though one.
Peer support is my best guess, try not doubting yourself and acknowledge your own achievements as much as possible.
It's something that happens when you're somewhat isolated from society , you subconsciously blame yourself for your situation - I do that too, many times.
The only advice I can give - talk to people you trust and read some peer reviewed literature on human psychology to get an informed opinion.
Hope i helped somewhat.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
(01-02-2011 04:18 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  How do you guys deal with self-doubt?
I'm constantly struggling with it.

A friend taught me to ski when I was in high school and he used to say "if you're not falling, you're not trying". I think that is a great metaphor for life.

Everyone has doubts. Everyone. We all build different facades around us to project a certain image but I assure you that no matter how confident someone appears on the outside, they have doubts and things about themselves they are self conscious about it. There are probably a few people out there who actually don't have any doubts, and we generally refer to those people as sociopaths. Whatever doubts you have, whatever confidence you lack at times, I promise you that you are not alone. You are in both good and bad company because pretty much the entire world harbors these feelings. Some of us are just better at hiding it then others.

It's easy for people to tell you this but, really, you're going to have to learn all this on your own. Life is a journey and it has various stages, and different stops and starts. It is up to us to decide how we take this journey. Some of us just follow the path laid out for us with little deviation; some of us venture out and do new and different things; some of us are so afraid of failing we never try; and some of us try, fail, pick ourselves up and try again. But, all of us get just one ride so we have to make the best of it.

Whatever fears, doubts or concerns you have, you need to learn to manage them and put them in perspective. Figure out who the person is you want to be and go be that person. If you want to be a risk taker, then take risks. Not stupid risks where you can get hurt, but try new things, put yourself out there. If you're not afraid of rejection then rejection can't hurt you. And, if that doesn't work for you, then figure out what does, but face your fears and self doubts head on.

And, when you feel self-doubt, just remember that everyone else does too. The difference between success and failure is the willingness to try.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I am probably the last one to tell anyone how to deal with self-doubts, I have them all the time. I never feel good enough. At the same time, I've always tried to just be myself. Anything else just feels wrong and really messes with my head. Once I put my mind to do something, I just do it. I figure, what's the worst that can happen? Trust me, I always imagine the worst. It usually doesn't happen though, and I've managed to take some really big risks that really paid off. (like moving halfway across the country to marry someone I met online Wink)

I hate where I live, but I wouldn't change the fact that I did it. (not that we plan on staying here) As many times as I have fucked up, I wouldn't change any of them, because I learned from them, and if i wasn't true to myself, I wouldn't feel that I had lived at all.

I don't know if that made any sense, just kind of made it up as I went along. I guess the point is, don't ever let yourself be so afraid of failing at something that you just do nothing. No matter how big or small, you will be glad you did whatever it was you were afraid of. Even things that turn out like shit are beneficial to you, even if they don't seem that way at the time.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-02-2011, 12:22 AM
At the opening race of the Daytona Speedway, while staring at its daunting 31 degree banked turns, race car driver Lee Petty was asked, "Are you ready for this?" Lee answered. "No. But then neither is anyone else."

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.